IE icon on win 7 desktop

Just wondering if anyone knew how to put the Internet explorer Icon ( the acutally Icon, not a shortcut) on the Desktop......

You can't. they removed the registry way in windows 7. Really annoys me as the regular shortcut doesn't stay in the same location on desktop if you have auto arrange and sort icons by type or by name as I always do.

This was done due to legal reasons but I wish they'd done a "Default Web Browser" type desktop Icon that would just change to whatever your default browser is

You can pin it to taskbar. It will stay on the same place every time...

That doesn't change the fact that a shortcut on desktop will move around as more shortcuts are added. I need an explorer icon on desktop in order to easily launch new instances of ie. I know there is a shift click method, but it isnt as convenient as just having an icon on desktop.

How is the desktop more convenient than the taskbar? If you've a wheel mouse, the middle click works for a new instance, and there's a registry key for laptops with Synaptics touchpads that makes pushing the left and right buttons simultanously perform a middle click as well (or you could set a hot corner for middle click).

Also, what are you doing to make your desktop icons go roaming like that? Turn off autoarrange and they should stay put.

How is the desktop more convenient than the taskbar? If you've a wheel mouse, the middle click works for a new instance, and there's a registry key for laptops with Synaptics touchpads that makes pushing the left and right buttons simultanously perform a middle click as well (or you could set a hot corner for middle click).

Also, what are you doing to make your desktop icons go roaming like that? Turn off autoarrange and they should stay put.

I am on a notebook most of the time and have an alps touchpad, no middle button functionality as far as im aware (also no middle buton choice for hot corners). As for disabling auto arrange, that is an inconvenience, I like to have apps on desktop sorted by name.

Don't you actually have to minimize whatever window you currently have and then double click the icon? I'm sorry if this is off-topic but I'm on a notebook too and I just don't get it.

Don't you actually have to minimize whatever window you currently have and then double click the icon? I'm sorry if this is off-topic but I'm on a notebook too and I just don't get it.

Just right click on the taskbar icon and choose Internet Explorer from the jump list. You can do this to open as many windows as you wish without having to minimise each window first.

No need to do that. Just right click on the taskbar icon and choose Internet Explorer from the jump list.

I know that. I was replying to the original poster who prefers to click on desktop icons.

No, the reason that the desktop icon is important to me is because I trade stocks frequently and use nasdaq total view for level 2 quotes. Each stock quote is opened in a new instance of ie, the windows are small enough to be able to arrange them acrross my desktop, leaving the first column of icons (that would have all the system icons together with IE in vista) on desktop visible.

Well, that's a very interesting situation (and my condolences on the Alps touchpad). Perhaps the classic cheesy trick of prefixing the icon with a tilde~ will disrupt the sorting order enough to place the icon within the first column. There's also the pretty sweet new keyboard shortcuts you could use - if the icon is pinned in the first position on the taskbar, Winkey+1 will launch a new instance. :)