The next SP3 for Windows Vista is in preparation

this is no news at all, and not worthy of discussion at all.

this has been many times seen before. whenever a service-pack is officially released it has its spN name, aka SP0 (rtm), SP1, SP2 and so on. all the patches that dont make it into the then-current spN level release get tagged spN+1 as to show that their service-pack level is beyond that of the then-current spN level.

so if this vista patch isnt included in the already closed and finished vista SP2 level, then its obviously tagged as SP2+1 also to be known as SP3 level.

so this patch/hot-fix is SP3 worthy.

but this of course doesnt mean that there will be an official big servicepack3 SP3 in the future, which includes all the post-SP2 patchlevel patches and hot-fixes.

get over it. this is no news. this is normal microsoft product life-cycle and development efforts.

how is this supposed to be news? even before a SP has been released they start adding the fixes (the ones that won't make it to the current one) in the next SP

If they could name it, would be SP3 The Win7 :)

?

I really hope you are not applying (like a lot of idiots do) that Windows 7 is just Windows Vista with a Service Pack.

By the contrary, Vista moving towards the real deal Win7, there shouldnt have been Vista period.

You tend to call idiots alot, maybe they have dif points of view, and its good to have those to, if it wasent for them Win7 wouldnt be such a sucess in such ways.

Learn to listen and respect.

Thanks

*Breaking News*

This just in...The first Service Pack after Windows 7's release will be Windows 7 SP1. Please inform everyone you know about this.

I don't think y'all need to flame the OP, he was just trying to convey what he thought was significant information.

Once a new service pack is released, all following hotfixes get labelled with the next SP version, that is the way Microsoft's servicing has always worked.

I don't think y'all need to flame the OP, he was just trying to convey what he thought was significant information.

Once a new service pack is released, all following hotfixes get labelled with the next SP version, that is the way Microsoft's servicing has always worked.

Agreed and other news outlets have picked up on this post, so play nice children.

the 'next' SP3? you mean there's already one out and they are making the same product again?

I still looking for current SP3... :p

Windows 7 is not a Windows Vista SP , it's a "Nice vista upgrade"

windows vista and windows 7 may look identical in some ways but are no where near the same under the hood. fyi fyi.

Wounder if SP3 will see light in 2010 or early 2011. Also on a little side note will XP see sp4 like win 2000?

XP SP4 .... doubt it

more like security roll-up then anything else

I'm not sure if this will mean anything in the end. I'm all for Vista getting SP3 but I remember something similar for Windows 2000 regarding a potential SP5, which never materialized.