Is it worth it for Vista users to upgrade to 7?

222 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade to 7?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
  2. 2. What's your experience with Vista?

• Great
    • Average
    • Terrible
    • Not sure

Vista SP1 is pretty high on performance. Vista is patched and performs. So why would I move to Windows 7?

I wouldn?t. Windows 7 just does not offer enough new features or any compelling reason for me to spend a hefty sum on an upgrade.

I agree with what you are saying however for someone interested in computers and the newest tech like a lot of us here despite the minimal increase in performance I still think it is a worthy upgrade. Also, remember you don't have to buy 7 at a retail outlet like the general population. OEM and system builder versions don't cost nearly as much. Nobody is saying you have to upgrade to 7, it just depends on what you feel like.

Vista SP1 is pretty high on performance. Vista is patched and performs. So why would I move to Windows 7?

I wouldn?t. Windows 7 just does not offer enough new features or any compelling reason for me to spend a hefty sum on an upgrade.

Can I ask if you have tried Windows 7 please?

Can I ask if you have tried Windows 7 please?

Yes I did, I've been testing the RC lately. FYI, aero performance ran slower than Vista with the latest nvidia drivers. I'm not saying that 7 isn't great, I'm just saying that compared to Vista there aren't much differences. XP to 7 is a very worthy upgrade, Vista to 7 isn't.

i am going to simply because its the newest OS

i tried the beta and didnt find it much faster than my vista sp2, but i didnt use it much and didnt have much stuff installed on it

I'm going to say no, Windows 7 offers nothing that warrants spending >$200 on it if you've already got a system that works fine. Upgrade when you get a new computer.

Considering how much I've spent on hardware, I want an OS that ensures my hardware performs at its best. And whilst Vista ran extremely well, Windows 7 RC is even faster and smoother.

I'll be installing Windows 7 final as soon as it's available.

I will upgrade.. 7 is working much better than vista on my new laptop. Might even upgrade my old xp computer to 7 aswell. So far 7 has been better than vista from my experiences.

Yes I did, I've been testing the RC lately. FYI, aero performance ran slower than Vista with the latest nvidia drivers. I'm not saying that 7 isn't great, I'm just saying that compared to Vista there aren't much differences. XP to 7 is a very worthy upgrade, Vista to 7 isn't.

XP to 7

Vista to 7

result still getting windows 7....

It'd be interesting if there was another question in the poll that people would answer truthfully..

If by "upgrade" they mean pirate Windows 7 or actually go out and spend big money on it. If you pirate it and get it for free, it's a no-brainer, otherwise... well...

Windows Vista after Service Pack 1 runs like butter, and with Service Pack 2 it really feels solid, even more so than what Windows XP SP2 did for me. Will I upgrade to Windows 7? Definitely, there are many new features and changes that are worth it.

Windows 7 is a hands down winner compared to Vista. There's no way I would think otherwise about it now.

After dealing with a Vista laptop tonight for 4 hours (just finished) - Yeah. Bring on Win7 already!

(In comparison, I also worked on an XP computer tonight, it was done 2 hours ago.)

I love having XP around, but with Win7 having XP-M in it, I get the best of both worlds now. (Y)

"Will I upgrade to 7?"

:p

Will, hell! I already have, FTW

Just built a new 8GB Phenom II system for work and never seriously considered anything but a 64-bit RC install.

Virtual XP and aero peek sealed it for me.

Since I have MSDN membership, RTM will be free too.

:whistle:

I believe that those who have sufficiently fast hardware will find the performance difference between Vista and 7 to be negligible, that is, below the 10% threshold for the user to feel a difference. However, those who want to rejuvenate their computing experience on slower hardware will find 7 to be just as light as XP or perhaps even lighter, due to the former's more advanced memory management, but yet contain all the funky new features of Vista.

I never regretted Vista SP1 even if its most noticeable flaw was HDD thrashing. 7 eliminates that flaw completely for my T60, and adds that bit more all-round usability. 3 thumbs up, I'm going for that upgrade... I got Vista legally for free anyway, due to my college's academic licensing.

i got vista post SP1, dug out the crap bundled by vendors and the rest is gravy :) zero real issues, might of got a couple BSOD from messing with driver upgrades, seeing which driver worked better for gaming etc :p you know the general f*cking around and tweaking settings, nothing that creating images constantly won't cure

tried 7 on my dell xps1530, loved it.... the gui is def snappier and even the performance increased and the new taskbar is wonderful (no matter which way you use it) large or small, combined buttons or not... 7 has hundreds of improvements and more under the hood

right now i have 7 RC on my aspire 5630 (vista ready) and it runs faster than XP MCE did that came preinstalled, i think the install footprint on my aspire with 7 right now is 6+GB, the entire footprint... TRY that with vista, i dare you :p

happy windows vista user here and i'll happily buy 7 when its available :D

Vista seems really sluggish to me, XP just seemed faster. I will upgrade to 7, I just hope people who upgrade from Vista get a discount or something.

Vista seems really sluggish to me, XP just seemed faster. I will upgrade to 7, I just hope people who upgrade from Vista get a discount or something.

I honestly think that Vista users deserve it.

NO

will also upgrade to 7. vista worked for me, but i expected alot more. hopefully 7 can fullfil my expectations.

Whilst I only had minor problems with Windows Vista, I think Windows 7 is a fantastic improvement and it has many new features which are useful and helpful. One main reason I love Windows 7 so much - the new taskbar.

I've always thought the taskbar was ugly, cluttered and just not intuitive at all, which is why I used to set it to auto-hide. In Windows 7, I don't have to do that. Every program whether it is pinned, a running instance, or has multiple running instances is grouped into just one button on the taskbar, the pointless text labels have been turned off by default, they have added subtle things such as multiple rectangles around the running instances when more than one window of that program is open and one rectangle around it when just one window is open, when hovering over each running program, the largest RGB value of the icon fills the rectangle and a glow follows the mouse, developers are able to take advantage of certain APIs to show an overlay image on their icon (like Windows Live Messenger does with the status), they are also able to add things like the progress of downloads and copying files to the taskbar buttons themselves...

In all of that, I haven't even mentioned jumplists and how they make everything so much easier.

Having said that is the main reason, there a many other reasons. Firstly, it is much snappier than any other operating system I have used, all of the bloat has been removed from toolbars and the operating system as a whole (no need for that 'details' header in Windows Explorer when the view isn't set to 'details'). Federation search is going to prove very useful. Minor tweaks like being able to add the 'Videos' and 'Downloads' folders to the 'start' menu, also help make moving to this release worthwhile.

Microsoft have gone through and improved on a lot of of inconsistencies with this release. For example, the old 'Fonts' dialog has been updated and now looks rather slick, the Windows XP password and username prompt for certain things has been given a Windows 7 style (although the password dialog which appears when using the Task Scheduler is still in Windows XP style :/), but yes there are just so many improvements that it'd be silly for me not to upgrade.

I even love that we can move any taskbar item around whether it is running or not and we can finally get rid of items in the notification areas.

There are a lot of things I have missed out, but I cannot think right now and have to go and do some studying :p

my experience with Vista is great. Tomorrow I will install the SP2. I will not upgrade to Win7, Win8 will be my next OS...

Any reason why? Or are you still caught up in the Windows-7-UAC-is-unsafe nonsense?