Is it worth it for Vista users to upgrade to 7?

222 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade to 7?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
  2. 2. What's your experience with Vista?

• Great
    • Average
    • Terrible
    • Not sure

I'm sure if I tried Windows 7, I would have gone with a solid "Yes", but I haven't tried it yet and I'm not as excited over it as some of you are, so as it stands, "Not sure" is my answer.

I got Vista last year and didn't see what all the fuss was about. I guess all the kinks were rolled out of Vista by then? It works very well for me... aside from the forgetful folders that can't remember my view settings.

There is a fix for that if it bugs you. Here is the link:

Tweakguides.com Fixing Vista Annoyances Page.

Maybe I'll upgrade to 7, my main issue isn't really Windows its the eco system surrounding it. NVIDIA drivers for example have never really been pro quality for me in Vista and nothing has changed with 7. I'm not ready to pay up for Windows 7 if NVIDIA can't even get their drivers sorted out.

Then buy a ATI card and dump the Nvidia. Problem solved.

I will only upgrade from Vista to 7 if they make the upgrade prices decent for Vista users. Otherwise, I have no problems running Vista.

*facepalm* Just because you can't use Vista properly (if Vista is really the problem for that computer, taking 4 hours to fix it is downright laughable) doesn't mean it's a bad OS. It's still far and away better of an overall OS than XP ever was. I wonder if XP mode will also introduce XP's inherent failings at malware resilience to Windows 7. Hardly something many people would want, given XP can be credited (or blamed) for introducing most of the worst malware the world has ever seen to the consumer market.

That said, as soon as this resolution glitch I have with 7 is resolved, I'll upgrade to it.

Having used computers for more than 23 years, I think i'm more qualified to talk about computer use than you are. I'm very familiar in how to use Windows (including Vista). Agreed it's downright laughable that Vista took 4 hours to fix, but it did. I prefer not to do formats where I can help it, it makes for happier customers. As for a better OS? No, IMO I don't think so.

I doubt XP-M would be able to interact with Win7 in such a way that Malware would affect computers, especially with the security thats present in both O/S today. It'd be mad of MS to allow that sort of access between the two systems.

And that "facepalm" loses most credibility you might had with me. Sorry mate, nothing personal. Or was it? Don't like XP? Point noted. But don't bash other people's abilities when you don't have all the facts. Run my business for a day, and you'll be in a position to comment.

Is it worth it for Windows Me users to upgrade to XP? You bet!

It's just as much worth it for Windows Me 2.0 users to upgrade to Win7 :yes:

I've been playing with 7 for over six months now, yet I'm back on Vista x64 SP2.

I like the new taskbar and the jump lists. I don't have much use for libraries as I'm quite organised naturally, no use for homegroups and I'm standalone with a router which goes for WMP sharing as well. I don't multitask much either, I'm usally concentrating on one activity at a time.

Don't like WMP12, seems to be a step back from WMP11.

Perormance is all but identical with modern hardware.

I'll probably buy it once available but I wouldn't say it's worth it, will be more out of habit and the placebo effect the computer industry thrives from.

Having used computers for more than 23 years, I think i'm more qualified to talk about computer use than you are. I'm very familiar in how to use Windows (including Vista). Agreed it's downright laughable that Vista took 4 hours to fix, but it did. I prefer not to do formats where I can help it, it makes for happier customers. As for a better OS? No, IMO I don't think so.

I doubt XP-M would be able to interact with Win7 in such a way that Malware would affect computers, especially with the security thats present in both O/S today. It'd be mad of MS to allow that sort of access between the two systems.

And that "facepalm" loses most credibility you might had with me. Sorry mate, nothing personal. Or was it? Don't like XP? Point noted. But don't bash other people's abilities when you don't have all the facts. Run my business for a day, and you'll be in a position to comment.

Is it worth it for Windows Me users to upgrade to XP? You bet!

It's just as much worth it for Windows Me 2.0 users to upgrade to Win7 :yes:

+1 to both of those posts :D

Im on windows 7 now. I purchased Vista Ultimate when it came out - worst mistake of my life. Sure vista has some "pretty-ness" but thats about it. Just to be fair I've tried using it since SP1 and 2, its still a pain. XP does everything I need - and so has win7 so far!

Why do you think MS started working on 7 so quickly?? As far as vista goes, MS has pretty much swept it under the rug.

don't EVER upgrade, do a fresh clean install.

Don't listen to anyone who argues you shouldn't upgrade from Vista RTM to Windows 7 RTM. Microsoft's new (vista+) installation methodology does away with the issues people used to have upgrading from say 98 to XP.

Unfortunately, that outdated FUD is still circling pretty heavily even though it's now about 4 years out of date.

The REAL issue is to make sure you BACK UP before upgrading or doing a clean install...period.

I'm sure if I tried Windows 7, I would have gone with a solid "Yes", but I haven't tried it yet and I'm not as excited over it as some of you are, so as it stands, "Not sure" is my answer.

I got Vista last year and didn't see what all the fuss was about. I guess all the kinks were rolled out of Vista by then? It works very well for me... aside from the forgetful folders that can't remember my view settings.

Your entire answer mirrors what I was going to say. Voted Not sure. Vista has been very solid for me. To be honest, I am sort of wary when I hear all this hype about a product. Usually I am let down when I do finally try it.

Don't like WMP12, seems to be a step back from WMP11.

Just out of curiosity... in what way?

There are many features in Windows Media Player 12 which I think make it an improvement over Windows Media Player 11. Some of the little things like where it plays a preview of the song when you hover over it and the fact that the interface is more intuitive.

I'm interested in why you think it is a step backwards? Many people I've heard say it's because of how different the design of the player is compared to the more 'nice-looking' Windows Media Player 11, but I go beyond the design, sometimes, and look at the features.

Just out of curiosity... in what way?

There are many features in Windows Media Player 12 which I think make it an improvement over Windows Media Player 11. Some of the little things like where it plays a preview of the song when you hover over it and the fact that the interface is more intuitive.

I'm interested in why you think it is a step backwards? Many people I've heard say it's because of how different the design of the player is compared to the more 'nice-looking' Windows Media Player 11, but I go beyond the design, sometimes, and look at the features.

Hmm, well for starters I use 64 bit WMP in Vista. As to why, well by installing 64 bit codec pack I don't mess up anything that runs @32 bit and in turn no 32 bit players interfere with WMP. It's a little sandbox in a way if you make WMP your main media tool as there should be no other 64 bit codecs or players about. Can't find a way to set WMP12 x64 as default in 7 as yet, which is a shame. Yeah I know 7 has it's Codecs locked down if you will, but I have stuff it won't play and also need filters to handle subtitles and such, so I have to install some codecs. Doing this on x64 has meant since day 1 I've been able to play everything I need and never had a problem, it's proven reliability for me.

Navigation in 12 seems to be all over the place, in 11 I have immediate access to everything and I stay in library view. 12 has incorportated tabs for what I can see as no good reason. In 11, in library view I can just right click the menu bar, select view and view anything anywhere. In 12, say if I wanted to open the equaliser, I have to switch tabs and it's still buried away even then.

I don't think 12 is aesthetically pleasing as 11 either. The tabs look horribly out of place and instead of intuative controls things are starting to sprawl off in every direction.

It's not as pleasant to use as 11 either, I just don't like it. I'll be sticking to 11 for as long as I can.