[Official] E3 Microsoft Discussion

see? here's a fine young lad like DM, reduced to this evil sickness that's spreading unchecked, when instead he could be doing something constructive like drinking with actual people. Stand up and remove this blight from upon the landscape.

Oh don't you start hating on Twitter or I'll be having strong words with you :p

I wouldn't mind twitter if they banned it from the unwashed masses. Seriously I don't give a toss what you had for lunch!

Well I don't give a toss that you don't give a toss :rofl:

My lunch was epic btw, pepperoni pizza. Corris head all about it <3

Can anyone point me to a full download of the E3 briefing? Preferably in HD? And preferably somewhere besides Gamespot since they cap their downloads... :)

+1 I only watched the last 10 minutes :hmmm:

Edited by evoman91

Wow. 52 pages! Can someone summarize what happened?

Microsoft pretty much ass nailed both Sony and Nintendo with online, technology and social improvements to Xbox 360 plus quite a few exclusives that looked stunning and a bomb shell that Metal Gear Solid Rising (the next MGS) is coming to Xbox 360.

1. Facebook, Twitter, Last.FM added as social to XBL

2. Netflix can be browsed now directly from Xbox 360

3. Introduction of no-controller controls for games and entertainment (codename Natal)

4. Sick technology shown with Milo example

5. Full 1080p HD instant streaming (no downloads, no discs - instant playback in top quality) from Xbox Live marketplace in 18 countries

6. Crackdown 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Alan Wake, Halo Reach, Halo:ODST, Metal Gear Solid Rising, Final Fantasy XIII, Forza 3, Splinter Cell Convictions etc etc

7. ZuneHD connectivity and output of HD videos directly to Xbox 360 plus Zune Marketplace through Xbox 360.

8. Enhanced TV viewing with the help of Xbox 360.

I don't think they will be topped this year.I think last year they won the E3 as well with Netflix announcement and new NXE for X360 but this year they just went over the top.

Edited by Boz

Yeah, big surprises and some awesome new technology, it was way too quiet from microsoft's side before E3, something big had to happen.

I went berserk when I saw that Crackdown 2 trailer out of nowhere, it was so unexpected and my personal favorite of the show already :D

And you'll be getting those as well. Seriously, I think you're over reacting here. This isn't going to turn the 360 into the Wii. Sure, there will be some Wii-type games, but if you don't like them, don't play them. This tech could be used in very cool ways in "hardcore" games as well, such as the RTS example someone gave earlier.

Also, it doesn't mean you have to jump up and down in front of the TV like a retarded monkey. Simple hand gestures could also be used.

Completely agree.. Microsoft just covered both Nintendo and hardcore market. I mean they already had hardcore market in their pocket, they needed these technologies to appeal to families and casual gamers and I think it will definitely be successful.

For all this Hardcore fighting, you're all limiting your imagination a bit.

This could be used in conjunction with a regular to make hardcore games better.

Imagine Forza 3 using this to track your head movements, not need for those silly shiny dots the PC peripheral uses. You could use it on sim games to use small head movements translated into full movements in the game to look around you cockpit or look into turns. (if you think this sounds useless, go to youtube and search for videos of GTR using the IR Tracker peripheral, don't remember what it's called)

similarly it could be used in the same role for FPS games, adding you individual control of your head and gun, so you can look around, or even lean around corners leavign the shoulder buttons free for other things.

And that can all be done sittign in the sofa. you could also record upper body movements for taunts and such in some games, silly and useless, but still fun :p

Also there's stuff like Tony Hawk ride, unarguably a hardcore title. Natal could do the same stuff as the Ride peripheral, only without havign to balance on a crsappy plastic skateboard wich requires more space, and will likely cause you to fall and break several limbs. not only that, it's more powerful than the ride peripheral, since it motion captures your entire body, you can grab and do a lot more. I'd still personally rather get Skate but, that still doesn't make it less of powerful tool.

Don't think of it as the old EyeToy cameras or Nintendo's nin-chucks. It can do a lot more, without replacing hard core gaming controllers, but perhaps enhancing them by working with them.

Also imagine what Machinima makers coudl do with this, a home motion capture device :)

This is a whole new device capable of a lot more than anything before it, and you shouldn't limit your thinking to what previus devices could do. And even so, motion capture games aren't going to replace our FPS games and Forza sim racers.

It is safe to say that Sony can shove their "Year of the PS3" quote where the sun don't sunshine!

Microsoft's presentation was excellent and the amount of announments and games have been truely outstanding which makes it really hard for Sony to beat that.

similarly it could be used in the same role for FPS games, adding you individual control of your head and gun, so you can look around, or even lean around corners leavign the shoulder buttons free for other things.

That would be awesome, I used to do that when I was a kid, trying to peek around corners with my head, it would actually work now. :laugh:

I remember using those VR helmets like 20 years ago that were uncomfortable as hell and had tiny rubber binoculars that suck your eyeballs out :) and then you would turn your head and you would see stuff around you in the game. It was awesome. I remember playing Hexen game.

How much technology advanced. Now you won't even need to wear anything. You just move your head and your character will move it's head in the same direction. Pretty awesome.

Also there's stuff like Tony Hawk ride, unarguably a hardcore title. Natal could do the same stuff as the Ride peripheral, only without havign to balance on a crsappy plastic skateboard wich requires more space, and will likely cause you to fall and break several limbs. not only that, it's more powerful than the ride peripheral, since it motion captures your entire body, you can grab and do a lot more.

I thought it was pretty funny that Tony Hawk was one of their openers, then the Natal video totally obsoleted his little skateboard.

Can someone please tell me where I can DOWNLOAD the press conference? I want to take it into work to show some of the guys.

Can someone please tell me where I can DOWNLOAD the press conference? I want to take it into work to show some of the guys.

I haven't looked but someone mentioned a few pages back that gametrailers has HD vids of the conference for download.

You can download it here, http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6210720/

Been searching like mad for the full show in HD but I've had no luck so far :/

I'm sure there will be a torrent up at some point, but nothing yet. It's HD or bust for me, SDTV looks like crap on the Sammy! I only saw the first half of the show so I'll be on the hunt as well when I get home from work.

You know, it's funny if people (hardcore gamers) think Sony isn't going to target the casual gamer market as well. YOU HAVE NOWHERE TO HIDE!

That said, I don't care, if you don't like the natal games that they make don't play them? no one is going to forget or cutback on "hardcore" games. Just look at the sales numbers for Wii games and compare that to what the PSS3 and 360 games sell.

Aside from 3, maybe 4 Wii titles to date, very very few sell that big like the AAA titles, so I don't see why anyone should worry.

But as many have said, Natal isn't just motion, it's facial recognition and voice recognition as well. It can be used together in hardcore games in many ways. We've already seen before how games that use a headset to issue voice commands have come out. So why not add more voice into hardcore games? Issuing commands in a FPS or squad based shooter would be the perfect start. The technology is only limited by the game developers imagination. I'm not quick to overlook or knock this stuff since it's pretty forward looking really.

Again, no one says you have to jump up and down or move your arms like crazy to actually take advantage of this, since it's not just about motion. Why not use it for MMOs and have the facial recognition take a picture of your face and use that as your mmo character if you want? Or your whole body in the case of Sims? Add to that voice so you talk with other players now. Or ask questions to NPCs in RPGs? You can do these things and still use the controller as well, people need to think outside the box more.

Definitely like the design, I think they've obviously tried to match the Samsung tv's.

Which is awesome because I have a Sammy :D

Splinter Cell Conviction and Alan Wake both looked great! :D The art style was really nice in SCC in particular with the video and words projected onto the surroundings, really clever. Hope they're both still coming to PC or I guess I'll need an XBox 360.

Wow, they totally nailed it. Way above my expectations.

And having access to full retail games, awesome. The only problem will be the price difference between the XBLM and places like PLAY. Still awesome though.

I'm just thinking about how it'll play in my bedroom where my xbox is... I only have a 19" HDTV and that's on a desk, I'm guessing i'll have to completely clean my bedroom floor and stand quite a way back so the camera can see my feet up to my head :p