Nokia N97

I admit I like the look of the iPhone, but it is also a very nice phone, with some "pretty" nice features. I use the internet A LOT on my Nokia N78 (it costs me a fortune) and I also have an iPod Nano that I use a lot (I travel quite a distance to work everyday) and would very much like to own a phone that can fuse these two together, and the iPhone is it. No other mobile media player is as easier to use, on any phone, and no other phone offers a more richer internet experience than that of the iPhone, plus I like the ability to download apps and use my phone as more than just a phone. This is obviously my opinion.

I admit when the iPhone was first released, I thought it was more of a gimmick, but after taking one of them for a spin, i see the obsession with it.

Then go right ahead and spend your cash getting less features.

You also dont like high quality audio as the iPod has problably if not the worse one of the worse hearing expirences.

Thanks for the N96 advice. I'll see if I can find any Nokia or Samsung phones instore next week. Hopefully I'll have better luck than trying to find an X1. I know this is a Nokia thread but does anyone have any experiences with the Samsung Omnia or Innov8 phones? I'd like to hear how they rate as far as audio quality, battery life and UI go.

Without a doubt the N97 only for its keyboard :)

Its too bad cell phones dont use high quality audio processors. I have to carry around a 40GB PMP to listen to high quality music and the N97 if its audio output was high quality would be the perfect replacement (sell my E70 and my PMP I would have about half of the money needed to buy the N97)

...I didnt know phones had 128MB ram.

Could you post some of the previews please?

3365043772_19a2637072_o.jpg

3512673124_48fa9df64a_o.jpg

3547740909_d098d39ba3_o.jpg

3548552712_d59b790023_o.jpg

youtube has HQ available for full quality preview.

more here: http://thesymbianblog.com/2009/05/04/video...he-n97s-camera/

Is the interface similar to the Nokia 5800? A mate has just got one as an upgrade and I don't like the UI. To me it seems slow and you really have to press down hard on the screen for it to respond.

The N97 looks very impressive, but think i'll wait for the new iPhone.

Similar, yes. The 5800 has a slightly slower processor so would naturally be marginally slower on it. Like i was saying earlier the N97 has two different input methods so even for those who despise resistive touch technology can still easily use it without touching the screen i imagine. But you get used to it after a while i don't think it needs to be pressed that hard

Edited by Digix

I'm leaning towards the nokia n97 as the apple iphone launch wasn't as big as all the hype made it out to be. So now its between the nokia n97 and samsung omnia hd for me. I'm leaning towards the n97 as there will be more firmware and software support as long as the new ovi store will only be available for the nokia. Why get something when I can't use its full potential. Hopefully nokia has optimized the software and operating system despite the slow processor they opted with. The hardware on the samsung looks impressive. In a perfect world, I'd choose the samsung hardware and nokias software. I made a list of whats good between the two phones. I have read as many reviews and checked all the samples of videos, pictures etc to make this list. I have not actually touched or seen the phones but from what I read or saw of the reviews, these are the more important points that distinguish the phones. Still not sure about the audio quality of both phones. If samsung fixes the audio quality of the video recording, then I may just get the samsung. There have been hints that they will not fix it as they have not fixed this problem in their previous phones.

Samsung

faster processor, 3d gfx accelerator

nicer camera ( Geo-tagging, face, smile and blink detection, image stabilization, wide dynamic range, ISO 1600, LED flash)

better video 720p BUT terrible audio codecs, so I dont take it as a proper 720p video recording

More Portable

OLED Screen, CAPACITIVE

Can play Xvid videos, 720p vids

bigger screen

hsdpa 7.2 support

nokia n97

fm transmitter

keyboard

better looking in my opinion

better support (cannot install many symbian software) + ovi store + more frequent firmware updates

32 GB Memory + SD CARD SPACE

cannot run 5800 software

better talking quality

better speaker

less buggy, did not release product too fast

Main screen can use widgets to gather up to date information from facebook,weather, etc.

Iphone 3gs

Faster processor compared to 3g

Magnetic Compass (N97 and Omnia HD have it too)

Video Support

Remote erase device if lost/stolen, find iphone online

32 Gb Memory

Iphone 3.0 (support for cut & paste and more)

Voice Commands

To me the iphone isn't really that big of an upgrade from the 3g. I think your just paying more for the software part of it and its really easy to use. I had an iphone 2g and after a year, part of the screen didn't work. I could not use the middle part of the keyboard to type or touch any part of that screen. So I'm hesitant to buy another iphone again but would consider it if the phone was specced better. This is why I'm looking at the n97 with the keyboard. The ovi store cannot compete with apple at the moment as there arent as many developers and it has not been out for as long. But using the iphone app store, the programs are mostly games and apps that you never use. At least I didn't anyway.

Edited by Ohwhyme

I'm leaning towards the nokia n97 as the apple iphone launch wasn't as big as all the hype made it out to be. So now its between the nokia n97 and samsung omnia hd for me. I'm leaning towards the n97 as there will be more firmware and software support as long as the new ovi store will only be available for the nokia. Why get something when I can't use its full potential. Hopefully nokia has optimized the software and operating system despite the slow processor they opted with. The hardware on the samsung looks impressive. In a perfect world, I'd choose the samsung hardware and nokias software. I made a list of whats good between the two phones. I have read as many reviews and checked all the samples of videos, pictures etc to make this list. I have not actually touched or seen the phones but from what I read or saw of the reviews, these are the more important points that distinguish the phones. Still not sure about the audio quality of both phones. If samsung fixes the audio quality of the video recording, then I may just get the samsung. There have been hints that they will not fix it as they have not fixed this problem in their previous phones.

Samsung

faster processor, 3d gfx accelerator

nicer camera ( Geo-tagging, face, smile and blink detection, image stabilization, wide dynamic range, ISO 1600, LED flash)

better video 720p BUT terrible audio codecs, so I dont take it as a proper 720p video recording

More Portable

OLED Screen, CAPACITIVE

Can play Xvid videos, 720p vids

bigger screen

hsdpa 7.2 support

nokia n97

fm transmitter

keyboard

better looking in my opinion

better support (cannot install many symbian software) + ovi store + more frequent firmware updates

32 GB Memory + SD CARD SPACE

cannot run 5800 software

better talking quality

better speaker

less buggy, did not release product too fast

Main screen can use widgets to gather up to date information from facebook,weather, etc.

Both omnia and N97 run symbian. HSDPA 7.2 is kind of irellevant based purely on the fact that although may seem like future proof as it stands even upgraded networks fail to even come anywhere near full speed based on my experience in australia. Couldn't even get above 4mpbs standing under the cell tower.

N97 with ovi offers all the services too concerning camera. 720p really is a bit excessive however if you want a 8mpxl camera the N86 is coming in July as mentioned earlier. Also n97 has dual led flash too.

Maybe bigger too which imo N97 is big enough as I would really ideally want a phone. screen on omnia is nice but yeah too big to be comfortable carrying around in pocket and things easily.

Also not sure what you mean by better support can't install symbian apps ? but I imagine like you say there'll be firmware updates and possibly get new version of symbian when it comes around. Ovi offers all same applications as available to 5800 + more as it's same as iphone vs ipod touch that they offer what's feesible with features on hardware.

The widget home screen is great too quite interesting feature which I imagine will develop well. :)

This is why I'm looking at the n97 with the keyboard. The ovi store cannot compete with apple at the moment as there arent as many developers and it has not been out for as long. But using the iphone app store, the programs are mostly games and apps that you never use. At least I didn't anyway.

For a starting service and N97 being primier device to make use fully of ovi I think it's doing quite well i mean comparitively looking at apple app store with 50,000 apps after this long and ovi's just started and apparently they have 20,000 apps already so you know for a start that's not too bad. They both have good apps for useful things equally really the whole social networks clients etc all tied in with hardware and things.

I meant that nokia is more likely to release firmware updates and that the app support is better. The samsung cannot install nokia 5800 apps whereas the nokia n97 can. People are having issues with installing some software on the samsung. I haven't gotten to use 3g speeds yet, still stuck on regular gsm.

If you watch the original samples of the video its clear that samsung wins in the camera/video department. Its just not as obvious as the youtube videos compress the samples. The audio though is the biggest letdown but may be fixable via a firmware update but who knows if samsung will even consider doing that. I don't think its really necessary to have 720p video recording capabilities but its nice to be able to download 720p tv series and be able to watch them on the phone. I'm very impressed with the visual quality of the video though on the samsung.

Edited by Ohwhyme

I meant that nokia is more likely to release firmware updates and that the app support is better. The samsung cannot install nokia 5800 apps whereas the nokia n97 can. People are having issues with installing some software on the samsung. I haven't gotten to use 3g speeds yet, still stuck on regular gsm.

If you watch the original samples of the video its clear that samsung wins in the camera/video department. Its just not as obvious as the youtube videos compress the samples. The audio though is the biggest letdown but may be fixable via a firmware update but who knows if samsung will even consider doing that. I don't think its really necessary to have 720p video recording capabilities but its nice to be able to download 720p tv series and be able to watch them on the phone. I'm very impressed with the visual quality of the video though on the samsung.

Yeah that's true but mind you omniaHD is aimed more at portable multimedia features. N97 offers it all in a good solid all round quality package. It's not too business orientated or media/entertainment focused just right and perfect in the middle

After the flop that was the announcement of the iPhone 3GS and it's prices, its now a 2 horse race. N97 or HTC TP2.

Still undecided. I can order the HTC today and have it in a couple days, or wait for the N97 and order that.

I did read a review over at GSM Arena about the HTC TP2, the Home Screen ect looks great, however it still is WinMo 6.1 and apart from the skinned apps, the rest looks really dog sh!te! On top of the dodgy looking hinge and the non 3.5mm headphone jack, I think the N97 is the one.

Now though, White or Black?! :)

After the flop that was the announcement of the iPhone 3GS and it's prices, its now a 2 horse race. N97 or HTC TP2.

Still undecided. I can order the HTC today and have it in a couple days, or wait for the N97 and order that.

I did read a review over at GSM Arena about the HTC TP2, the Home Screen ect looks great, however it still is WinMo 6.1 and apart from the skinned apps, the rest looks really dog sh!te! On top of the dodgy looking hinge and the non 3.5mm headphone jack, I think the N97 is the one.

Now though, White or Black?! :)

I'm hoping for white so it's a little different and stand out but both look good either way

Just Pre-Ordered my White N97 with Dial A Phone.

They have given me an estimated delivery date of 30th June, but I'm hoping this is sooner as Im sure it's 23rd or 26th it's due out and Dial A Phone deliver Next Day.

I went through QuidCo so I'll get ?50 Cash Back.

Got the Phone on Orange, ?45pm 1200 mins, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited Web/Email & Magic Numbers.

Seems alot but I was with Vodafone (?45pm, 750 mins, unlimited txts & unlimited web/email) whos signal is shocking around my house and a couple of my friends house. I know Orange works at my house and all their houses as they never lose it. Also I get the joys of having 241 Orange Wednesdays, instead of having to try and get one from friends.

I'm excited now :-)

Just Pre-Ordered my White N97 with Dial A Phone.

They have given me an estimated delivery date of 30th June, but I'm hoping this is sooner as Im sure it's 23rd or 26th it's due out and Dial A Phone deliver Next Day.

I went through QuidCo so I'll get ?50 Cash Back.

Got the Phone on Orange, ?45pm 1200 mins, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited Web/Email & Magic Numbers.

Seems alot but I was with Vodafone (?45pm, 750 mins, unlimited txts & unlimited web/email) whos signal is shocking around my house and a couple of my friends house. I know Orange works at my house and all their houses as they never lose it. Also I get the joys of having 241 Orange Wednesdays, instead of having to try and get one from friends.

I'm excited now :-)

Congratz the N97 is indeed a great pho:) :)

sweet :) if you're first to get it will be expecting proper review ;)

Of course man. I'll do a review like my PlayTV & FF7:AC BluRay ones, so it'll be standard :D

Can't wait!!!!

HK launch looks pretty crazy though does show differences in continents for mobile devices, nokia may not be as big in US but certainly EU ME and Asia they sure are :)

Word on the street is it'll be out here in Australasia either next friday [26] or early in July.

Ok hopefully will get 2 ( 700? x 2 = 1400? OUCH!) Saturday (tomorrow). 1 for me and I'm gonna give 1 to my girlfri:)d :)

Um this isnt the type of phone you'd give your girlfriend. Its a powerful mobile machine.

Besides, imagine the bitch blowing some other guy and you find out. Man that would hur:(..:(

Um this isnt the type of phone you'd give your girlfriend. Its a powerful mobile machine.

Besides, imagine the bitch blowing some other guy and you find out. Man that would hurt...:(

LOL hopefully not :)

Hey she likes it, and ATM I can afford to give it to her so...

and don't call bitch to my girlfriend please, she is still my girlfriend....

PS: We will be married in no more than 2 years time... Just waiting until she finishes university... So I don't think she'll ever cheat on me

LOL hopefully not :)

Hey she likes it, and ATM I can afford to give it to her so...

and don't call bitch to my girlfriend please, she is still my girlfriend....

PS: We will be married in no more than 2 years time... Just waiting until she finishes university... So I don't think she'll ever cheat on me

I was calling her a bitch in the sense if she does that to you, not right now.

i agree this is not the kind of phone you give to your girlfriend unless you crap money out. I got my n97 and its pretty great. The camera is nice and i find it has better games and more useful apps than the iphone 3g does. I have both now hehe. I use the n97 mostly as its sturdy and is the right size. Its not heavy and its not light either. It feels and actually looks like a phone. The UI isnt as pretty though but its not as laggy as people make it out to be. The software to transfer all the data, music etc is a pain though especially if you are on a mac. Luckily I have both, so I installed the pc suite and ovi suite. FM Transmitter works pretty well too, its really a feature packed phone. I chose this over the samsung as well as the iphone 3gs. I paid 200 dollar in total for the iphone 3g without any contract and did not think the 3gs features were worth an upgrade. The samsung looks nice on paper but i do not think it would get much support. Its also incompatible with some nokia software.

Not sure which way to go about getting one of these.

Either;

- I get it on a contract for ?40 a month which is going to end up around ?750+ by the time I'm at the end of it

- I buy it outright and get a ?15 a month contract for 12 months and it ends up aroung ?680.