Fedora 11 due tommorow

Installed it. The installation itself was ok, except for the monitor turning black for no reason.

But the gnome power manager keep crashing all the time. And the screen also freezes constantly. Doesn't Fedora 11 use xorg.conf? Can't seem to find it in the usual place. Want to check which driver it uses.

Meh. I'm certainly not impressed with the KDE version either. Not only is it the same old version Kubuntu shipped with a month and a half ago, it also had Koffice 1.6.3 instead of Openoffice. They could have at least put the newer version on there. Besides that, the LiveCD (which I downloaded) can only be installed with a small /boot partition with ext 3, not ext4. Forget that.

According to Fedora, Fedora 11 comes with the latest versions of both GNOME and KDE. I'll have the full DVD downloaded today so I'll see if it's any different.

Fedora comes with the 2.26.(1) version of gnome. From the dvd install you can select which apps you have preference for.

During install I attempted to add a few extra repositories to add applications such as Vlc and kmod-nvidia but it failed to connect to my wlan0 most likely since the connection manager did not include encryption support.

Meh. I'm certainly not impressed with the KDE version either. Not only is it the same old version Kubuntu shipped with a month and a half ago, it also had Koffice 1.6.3 instead of Openoffice. They could have at least put the newer version on there. Besides that, the LiveCD (which I downloaded) can only be installed with a small /boot partition with ext 3, not ext4. Forget that.

Stable release of Grub does not support booting off of an ext4 partition. You could make a custom layout with /boot on ext3 and your root on a ext4 partition.

Stable release of Grub does not support booting off of an ext4 partition. You could make a custom layout with /boot on ext3 and your root on a ext4 partition.

No thanks. I'll stick with Kubuntu, which does support ext 4.

You could patch Grub to allow it to boot from an ext4 partition avoiding the /boot altogether. I don't see the harm in having a 75Mb /boot partition though as it can reside anywhere on the disk.

Sorry. You guys lost me / made me concerned.

Will this hurt me dual booting Vista and Fedora when I install Fedora tonight?

For those who own the Samsung NC20, the new kernel, 2.6.30 fixes the problems with the audio driver and display freezing (mostly i Gnome).

Everything is running smoothly now!

The LiveCD will be fine. The full DVD (or multi-CD set) includes a lot of choices, and you will be just fine with a standard install from the LiveCD, unless you know right now that you want to have all available desktop environments installed from the start.

It is theorical, but the theorical problem have been fixed by a real patch. It was in a weird case like unpluggin the computer while the FS is performing a specific operation or something like that. I am not sure if FC11 is patched, but many other distro (including ubuntu) are.

I wish I had waited a few days before I did my mom's computer then. I was gonna do ext4 but heard it was bad so I didnt. Now I wish I did

does fedora11 really need 9GB of disk space? :o

1.2.4. Hard disk space requirements for all architectures

The complete packages can occupy over 9 GB of disk space....

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-note...re_Requirements

for the DVD ISO, maybe 9GB is okay, but i'm gonna install Live CD version.

i've d/led the live CD ISO & burned it to cd.

i was thinking of instaling Fedora11 on a 8GB Partition :D

I've read a couple of reviews for 11 and they were sort of down on it, saying it was a meh release. Anyone running it? Got any comments on that?