iPhone 3.0 Firmware ready to be Unlocked and Jailbroken around release

can someone explain to me what good it is to jb the ipod touch or iphone? or from what they say anyways. if nothing can be said, then dont worry about it. THanks either way.

That's good news.

I get to pickup my 3GS tomorrow. My wife had hers by 7:15am on release day. I had to wait on 2nd shipment. :pinch:

can someone explain to me what good it is to jb the ipod touch or iphone? or from what they say anyways. if nothing can be said, then dont worry about it. THanks either way.

There are many reasons. Main reason for most is being able to run unsigned 3rd party apps/software. Alot of added options you can take advantage of as far as customization. With wifi access, you pretty much have an iphone out of any itouch. :D Google up 'why jailbreak'. For a bunch of reasons. :D

Edited by 305

There are so many reasons to JB your iPod Touch or iPhone, i can't be asked to go in details.

1. The Ability to Customize your device and apply different Themes. (This is the most desired feature of JB)

2. The Ability to SSH into your device - (Again this is a must have feature for lot of people)

3. The Ability to upload and download Music, Videos etc without the use of iTunes - (Lot of people don't like iTunes)

4. The Ability to install Apps that aren't in the APPLE online store.

5. Etc

- Sbsettings

- BossPrefs

- Winterboard

- Cydia

and so on...

much thanks for the explanation. have done my itouch. just trying to figure out to get the apps on there is my issue.the jb went just fine. maybe i have not looked hard enough, but cant figure out the apps xfer thing. will keep looking tho. thanks.

i think ill be getting the 3Gs in a couple days.

NEED JAILBREAKING! ;'( none of my friends will jailbreak, and i need to be able to so i can rub it in there face, and show them the many reason to do it. :p

Hmm so am I understanding this correctly... An iPhone 3g with v3.0 cannot yet be unlocked via a PC.. but can with a MAC?? I will have to wait for the PC software to become available...

Bugger... got a payg o2 iPhone yesterday, and updated it, thinking it was ok to JB and unlock...!! I did do a bit of research before, but thought it was only the 3GS that could not yet be unlocked or JB... Its my first iPhone, and thought I would have it for a few months until the 3GS can be unlocked and JB, then flog it....

What are all the sites you see about unlocking and JB the 3g v3, for a fee... like http://www.unlock-the-iphone.com/ (Please delete this link, if Im in breack of anything, im using it as an example).

Are these just charging you for something you can get for free...?? How can they claim to be able to unlock your 3g v3, if the tools arent availabe yet...

Hmm so am I understanding this correctly... An iPhone 3g with v3.0 cannot yet be unlocked via a PC.. but can with a MAC?? I will have to wait for the PC software to become available...

Bugger... got a payg o2 iPhone yesterday, and updated it, thinking it was ok to JB and unlock...!! I did do a bit of research before, but thought it was only the 3GS that could not yet be unlocked or JB... Its my first iPhone, and thought I would have it for a few months until the 3GS can be unlocked and JB, then flog it....

What are all the sites you see about unlocking and JB the 3g v3, for a fee... like http://www.unlock-the-iphone.com/

Are these just charging you for something you can get for free...?? How can they claim to be able to unlock your 3g v3, if the tools arent availabe yet...

All those sites are scams. The only official way to unlock is via the iPhone Dev Team which is free.

I think that's why iPhones still hold their price on eBay if you list it as unlocked because people do not do their research and assume it costs a lot to have it unlocked therefore happily bid high prices.

What are all the sites you see about unlocking and JB the 3g v3, for a fee... like http://www.unlock-the-iphone.com/ (Please delete this link, if Im in breack of anything, im using it as an example).

Yes, those websites are just charging for the work of others.

If it's not on http://blog.iphone-dev.org don't get it.

Am I correct in my assumption that my 3g v3 iPhone is not yet unlockable with a PC?

Correct, but it's not even unlockable with a Mac yet, either. We need ultrasn0w to be released before we can unlock. This will be released as an app on Cydia, for which you need to be jailbroken to install it.

Hmmm... so i neednt have bothered getting this handset yesterday!! typical of me jumping the gun.. I just misunderstood the JB & unlocking solutions... thought they were availabe for the 3g v3, but just not the 3GS...

It's not called quickpwn any more:

redsn0w is an easy to use, multi-platform, multi-device jailbreaking and unlocking (iPhone 2G only) tool for the iPhone 2G (original iPhone), the iPhone 3G (but not the 3GS) and also the iPod touch (first and second generation). Currently it is available for Windows and Mac OS X (there are some issues using redsn0w with OS X PPC, please use an Intel Mac until we have this problem resolved).

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/126908912/redsn0w-in-june

where can i download a legit copy of 3.0 for redsn0w. I downloaded a copy from yellowsn0w.com but it says it is unable to recognise the ipsw :s

iTunes came up asking me if I wanted to "download and update" or just "download". I just downloaded then the IPSW file was under

\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates