Do you have one?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. F2 or wider

• Yes
    • Yes, but I want a wider one.
    • No, I wan't one
    • No, I don't need one
    • A what lens?

I have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MK II that's a piece of crap and a Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 that's completely stunning despite its thirty or so years.

I have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MK II that's a piece of crap and a Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 that's completely stunning despite its thirty or so years.

Build quality is crap, but that lens can make very sharp shots.

Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, making love to it even with the manual focus on my D40, heard the 85mm is even better, hoping to get it sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, making love to it even with the manual focus on my D40, heard the 85mm is even better, hoping to get it sometime soon.

In low light the MF is a bitch, I have one of those lens for my D40.

Low light MF is a bitch on DSLRs in general. The matte on the focusing screens isn't as helpful, and they lack the split-prisms on film SLRs. It's doable, just alot harder than on a film SLR :(

Low light MF is a bitch on DSLRs in general. The matte on the focusing screens isn't as helpful, and they lack the split-prisms on film SLRs. It's doable, just alot harder than on a film SLR :(

I think it would be easier with a FF frame dSLR, and a focusing screen replacement.

As for myself, I have an SMC Takumar 50/1.4 and a Jupiter 9 85/2.0, both in m42 mount. Stepped down a bit, they're very, very sharp. The only complaint I have about them, is the crop factor on my Pentax, basically turning them into short telephoto lenses, but on the flip-side, it turns my 200mm tele into a 300mm tele. I guess I can't have it all.

Oh yeah I should mention I have a Nikon AF 50mm, and a 50mm Olympus OM lens as well, my fastest lenses are the Pentax 1.7 and the f1.7 lens on my Canon compact.

So do the modern film SLR's but I think you can buy replacement focus screens that have them.

Not used a modern film SLR, I use an excellent, thirty year old film SLR (they don't make em like they used to :p), but given the physical similarity of the bodies of the 1D and 1V/1VHS cameras, I'd imagine that yeah, the focus screens are indeed replacable. But MF on a manual prime with a split-prism rangefinder and microprism collar, it's pretty damned easy, even with shallow depths of field and fairly low light.

No, and I don't feel a need either. :)

I'm happy enough with the semi-high ISO performance on my D90 anyway. Sure, it's not top notch performance, but nothing I contemplate on buying despite having the money, at least.

Nikon released a 35mm 1.8 for $200. I have it and I must say it's a very good lens for a beginning body. Has an internal focus motor so it can fit perfectly on the d40 and other bodies.

I picked up a used Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D the other day. BEAUTIFUL lens, and I am soooooo glad that my D50 can AF on it. I really suck at manual focus (I usually only do so at night with no ambient lighting), which isn't helped at all by my glasses. The only thing I regret is that it's making me want to ditch my 18-55 and 70-300 for faster zoom lenses. Oh well, I can deal for now... I guess.