longhorn install over xp

its just upgrading, you just upgrade to longohrn and keep all the files on the pc, compared to a clean install which deletes everything.

i upgraded and all the old files i had on xp are still there but make a backup just in case, also you cant downgrade back to xp so after the 13 days are up i dunno !

longhorn is supposed to? be WINFS file system

I DONT THINK ITS NO LONGER NTFS

WinFS is not a file system

NTFS will be the only supported file system in Longhorn, from a setup and deployment standpoint, though the OS will, of course, continue to support legacy file systems like FAT and FAT32 for dual-boot and upgrade purposes. The oft-misunderstood Windows Future Storage (WinFS), which will include technology from the "Yukon" release of SQL Server, is not a file system, Mark Myers told me. Instead, WinFS is a service that runs on top of--and requires--NTFS. "WinFS sits on top of NTFS," he said. "It sits on top of the file system. NTFS will be a requirement."

Interestingly, when WinFS is enabled, file letters are hidden from the end user, though they're still lurking there under the covers for compatibility with legacy applications. This reminds of when Microsoft added long file name (LFN) support in Windows 95, but kept using short (8.3) file names under the covers so 16-bit applications would still work. Expect this to be the first step toward the wholesale elimination of drive letters in a future Windows version.

Taken from The Road to Windows "Longhorn" Part Two

So basically its the Indexing Service now powered by SQL, IMHO

Edited by primortal

its just upgrading, you just upgrade to longohrn and keep all the files on the pc, compared to a clean install which deletes everything.

i upgraded and all the old files i had on xp are still there but make a backup just in case, also you cant downgrade back to xp so after the 13 days are up i dunno !

/QUOTE

sam_goffe

It would-be better to have set-up a dual boot. That way you'll still have XP too boot-into.

Also what build of Longhorn, do you have?