SECTION 1

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Account / Signing Up

• Benefits to Registering Your Account
    • Non member

[*]Registration Confirmation

[*]COPPA Registration

SECTION 2

Logged in as: Your_Member_Name ( Log Out )

Your account:

• Creating Your Member Account

SECTION 3

Maintaning & Updating Your Account

• Multiple Accounts
  • 3a: Change Name
  • 3b: Member groups / User groups
  • 3c: Post Count / Stars / Custom Member Title
  • 3d: Change Password/ Change Email Address

SECTION 4

My Controls & Forum Settings

• User Contol Panel (UserCP):
    • 4a: Signature
    • 4b: Avatar Questions
    • 4c: Private Messages
    • 4d: Other Options

[*]Forum Settings & Options:

• 4e: Options
    • 4f: Subscriptions
    • 4h: Email Notification
    • 4i: Changing How the Forum Looks (Skins)
    • 4j:Common Forum Settings Questions

SECTION 5

How to Login & Use Neowin's Forums

• 5a: Forum Rules
  • 5b: Forum Structure & How to Navigate
  • 5c: Restricted / Password only forums
    Unable to Post / Enter Forum When LOGGED IN
  • 5d: Unable to Stay Logged In

SECTION 6

Troubleshooting & Quick Links/Shortcuts

SECTION 7

Change of Username

SECTION 8

Neowin's Active Staff Users Guide

SECTION 1 - Pre-Registration

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New Account / Signing Up

Q. What are the Benefits to Registering on the Neowin forums?

A. To be able to use all the features on this board, we require that you register for a member account. Registration is free and only takes a moment to complete.

Benefits of Registration

• Once you have registered and logged in, you will have access to your private messenger and your control panel.
  • You are able to actively participate in our large & popular community forums.
  • You can make & reply to topics and polls.
  • You can SEARCH Neowin Forum's
  • You can EMAIL members via forum
  • There are also Registered-Only forums which you can only access when you sign up
  • Ability to reply to Main/Software/Games sections news items (www.neowin.net)

Q. How do I sign up for a account?

A. To register click >> HERE <<

Q. How old do I have to be to sign up for Neowin?

A. You may be any age, but Neowin is rated PG13. If you are under 13 you must sign up under a COPPA Agreement, which is signed & approved by your Parent(s)/Guardian

Q. What is COPPA Registration?

A. All users under the age of 13 must seek permission from a parent or guardian before you may participate on Neowin forums. You can to start the registration process prior to us receiving a permission form, please click the continue link below. However, please note that you will not be able to complete your registration until we have the signed form.

Notes:

-Any member that has not signed a COPPA Registration (signed up as a normal member) and is found to be under 13 will may their account blocked/suspended/deleted until a permission form has been signed by your Parent/Guardian.

-When you sign up you must use a VALID email, otherwise you will not receive your Email Confirmation.

SECTION 2 - Registration

Processing your membership

Q. What happens after I've signed up / registered?

A. The following process will occur:

• Step 1 - Account Created :
    After you have agreed to the Neowin Terms & Conditions, and clicked "Submit my registration" button you account will be created.
  • Step 2 - Confirm Registration at Neowin Board:
    We require that you "validate" your registration to ensure that the email address you entered was correct. Normally within 10 minutes (usually instantly) of signing up you'll receive an email (sent to the account you registered with) with instructions on the next step. Don't worry, it won't take long before you can post. Simply click on the link in the email to request activation.
  • Step 3 - A Neowin administrator must approve your account:
    You will receive an email as soon as one of the Neowin administrators has activated your account. This protects against unwanted spam and malicious abuse.

Q. I signed up using the wrong email address. What do I do?

A. If you signed up using an email account that you can't access, please contact a Neowin Admin. Please DO NOT make a new account.

Registration Confirmation

Q. What do I do with Registration Confirmation Email I get?

A. We require that you "validate" your registration to ensure that the email address you entered was correct. This protects against unwanted spam and malicious abuse. Simply click on the link in your email to request activation.

Notes:

You will receive an email as soon as one of the Neowin Administrators has activated your account. Please contact our Neowin Admin's using the valid EMAIL ACCOUNT you signed up with ONLY if you do not receive an email confirmation within 24 hours.

Neowin members are only permitted ONE member account. If you have more than one, it may be blocked/deleted without notice.

SECTION 3a - Maintaing & Updating Your Account

Logged in as: Your_Member_Name ( Log Out )

Your Account

Q. Am I allowed more than one account?

A. Neowin members are only permitted ONE member account. If you have more than one account, contact a Neowin Admin immediately to rectify the situation. It is in your interests to let us know as anyone found to have more than one account may have the account blocked or deleted without notice.

Q. Can I change my forum nick-name? (account name)

A. Yes, but ONLY a Neowin Admin can change your nick-name. Please email or PM (private message) your request directly to them. (More on this topic later.)

SECTION 3b - Maintaing & Updating Your Account

Member Groups Explained

Q. What are the different types of "Member Groups" and what do they mean?

A. The "Member Groups" on Neowin are:

Missing image, needs editing

Edited by Joel
missing image

SECTION 3c - Maintaing & Updating Your Account

Default/Custom Titles, Stars and Post Counts Explained

Q. What are the Member Titles & how can I change mine?

A. The Default Member Titles are based on your post count. See Requirement For Titles and Stars Chart below.

You can also change your Member Title in My Controls: My Controls > Edit Profile info > Custom Member Title.

Q. What are the stars for and how many posts do I need to increase the amount of stars in my profile?

A. The stars (also called "pips) give a simple graphical representation of your post count. It makes it easier to see who has posted alot in the forums. Be aware though, you shouldn't place any difference between members based on Post Counts or Stars alone. See Requirement For Titles and Stars Chart below.

Note: Your Contribution to Neowin's forums isn't based on a high post count or lots of stars. Regular and long term members base it solely on your conduct and the quaility of your posts.

The Ranks:

post-420-1239154927_thumb.png

0: Neowinian

100: Neowinian?

250: Neowinian?

500: Resident Fanatic

1000: Resident Elite

1337: j00 si teh L337!!

1338: Resident Elite

2000: Neowinian Senior

4000: Neowinian Wise One

6000: Neowinian UNSTOPPABLE

8000: Neowinian DOMINATING

10000: Neowinian ULTRAKILL

15000: Neowinian Super Cool

20000: Neowinian Super Star

25000: Resident know-it-all

30000: Resident post-it-all

35000: Resident Rockstar

40000: Resident Spammer

45000: Resident Spammer?

50000: Resident Spammer?

SECTION 3d - Change Password & Email Address

Change Password & Email Address

Q. How do I change/update my forum password?

A. To change your password: My Controls > Change Password

Q. I have forgotten my password. What do I do?

A. Security is a big feature on this board, and to that end, all passwords are encrypted when you register. This means that we cannot email your password to you as we hold no record of your 'encrypted' password. You can however reset your password. To do this, click on the Lost Password link.

Step One: Enter your account username.
    Step Two: Validating the request to send out reset email.
    Step Three: Follow the instructions in the email.

Q. I received a Password recovery information from Neowin Board email, but i didn't request it. What do I do and is my account safe?

A. If you did not request this password change, please IGNORE and DELETE the email immediately. Your password will stay the same. If it happens repeatedly and you require further help, you may make a topic in Site & Forum Issues area or send a PM to a Neowin Admin.

Q. How do I change my email address?

A. To change it, go to: My Controls > Change Email Address

NOTE: You will have to re-activate your account after changing your email address. An email will be sent to the email address you specify outlining what you need to do.

The action will log you out. It is strongly recommended that you reset your password before changing your email address if you are unable to remember your password.

SECTION 4 - My Controls & Forum Settings

My Controls:

Q. What is "My Controls / Control Panel / Your control panel"

A. Your control panel is your own private board console. You can change how the board looks and feels as well as your own information from there. It allows you to:

• Add or edit your contact information
  • Enter some personal information if you choose
  • You can edit your Signature and avatar
  • Change Email & Password Settings
  • Change your personal photo
  • Change Skins and Languages
  • Manage ignored users
  • View Subsciptions

4a: Signature

Q. What is a signature and how do I make one?

A. A board 'signature' is very similar to an email signature. This signature is attached to the foot of every message you post unless you choose to check the box that allows you to omit the signature in the message you are posting. You may use BBCode to add pictures or format the text in your signature.

To edit/make a signature: My Controls > Edit Signature

Q. What is the BBCode I need to add a custom-made signature (usually .jpg /.gif /.png) with?[/b]

A. The BBCode is:

[IMG=http://www.your_webspace.com/picture_file.jpg]

Q. Where can I host my signature?

A. There are many places you can host your signature:

• You can host your signature on your personal webspace (provided by your ISP)
  • Timdorr offers hosting via Neosig - dead
  • Joel offers hosting via Upload on his webspace
  • Blaise offers hosting via Upload on his webspace
  • Free Web hosts, e.g Tripod
  • Anyone else who is willing to host it for you (many neowin members host sig's for each other)

Q. Are there any signature guidelines/rules on size, color, type etc.?

A. Yes, our Signature Guidelines are available. It covers all aspects of text and picture signatures.

Q. I have seen that some members signature changes randomly. How can I do that?

A. Yes, you can use a simple php script to create a randomly-generated signature.

Useful Forum Links: Random Sigs explained | PHP Random sig image

4b: Avatar Questions

Q. What is a Avatar?

A. An avatar is a little image that appears under your username when you view a topic or post you authored. You may either choose from the board gallery, enter a URL to an avatar stored on your server or upload an avatar. You may also set the width of the avatar to ensure that it's sized in proportion (80*80 max.)

Q. How do I update/edit my avatar?

A. Go to: My Controls > Edit Avatar Settings

You can chose from:

• Pre-installed avatars
  • Your image avatars
  • Remove your avatar/ Set to no avatar

4c: Private Messages

Q. What is my private message service

A. Your personal messenger acts much like an email account in that you can send and receive messages instantly (Neowin forum only) and store messages in folders.

Q. Were can I get help with Private Messaging?

A. Your Personal Messenger Help

Q. I am getting Spam/Abusive PM's. What should I do?

A. Always report it to a Neowin Admin. Don't reply or retaliate, a Neowin Admin will deal with the problem.

Q. How can I stop/block a member from sending me PM's?

A. PM Buddies/Block List

Q. How do I toggle pop-up notification on and off when I get a new private message?

A. My Controls > Board Settings

4d: Forum Settings & Options:

Q. Were can I change my Time Zone?

Q. How do I turn of signatures & avatars in forum posts?

Q. How do I remove the quick reply box?

Q. How do I change Number of posts /Number of topics /Number of days to show for each topic page?

4f: Subscriptions

Q. What's a subscription?

A. This board can notify you when a new reply is added to a topic. Many users find this useful to keep up to date on topics without the need to view the board to check for new messages.

Q. How do I subscribe to a topic?

A. To do this, simply click on the 'Track This Topic' link found at the top of any topic. When you click this link, the topic will be added to your subscriptions that are managed from your control panel.

Note: To avoid multiple emails being sent to your email address, you will only get notified once per day of new replies.

Q. How do I view which forum & topics I'm subscribed to?

A. My Controls > Subscriptions

Q. How do I change which Forum & Topics I'm subscribed to?

A. My Controls > Subscriptions > View Topics

Then click the box next to any/all topic(s) you want to removed. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and click Unsubscribe.

4h: Email Notification

Q. Why do I keep getting "Topic Subscription Reply Notification" Emails?

A. Because someone has posted a reply to the topic that you have subscribed to, and you asked to be notified of any replys via email.

And/Or

You can change your Email settings to turn ON/OFF 'Email Notification' by default.

Q. How do I stop getting "Topic Subscription Reply Notification" Emails?

A. You can unsubscribe to the topic via the instuction inside email you received.

Q. How do I stop getting "New PM" Emails?

A. You can change your Email settings to start/stop sending a confirmation email when you receive a new private message

4i: Changing Forum Skins

Q. How do I change the color / look of the forum?

A. In the lower-left corner of the forums at the very bottom, there is a drop-down box entitled, "Select a skin:". You may choose a skin style from there.

4j: Common Forum Settings Questions

Q. How do I mark all posts as read?

A. Mark all posts as read

Q. Where is the option to add a member to my Buddy List?

A. PM Buddies/Block List

Q. I want Neowin members to be able to use an Instant Messaging program to contact me. How do I let them know what my IM contacts are?

A. Edit Profile info

Q. I want to take down a note or save some text. Can I do this on Neowin's forums?

A. Yes. Your personal note pad can save & store short peices of text.

My Controls > Your personal note pad

Edited by Joel

SECTION 5 - Login & Navigation

5a: Forum Rules

Q. Were can I see Neowin's forum rules?

A. Neowin Rules

Q. At the top of each forum there are some more rules/guidelines. What are they for?

A. They are rules/guidelines just for that forum. In addition to the main Neowin Rules, they help to give you forum-specific guidence & links that are only suited to that forum.

5b: Forum Structure & how to get around

Q. What is a Sub forum?

A. A sub forum is a branch off from the main forum. They help to futher catagorise a forum and keep things better organized.

e.g Main Forum: Customizing Windows XP

Sub forums: Completed Visual Styles | Custom Boot & Login Screens

So general Customizing chat goes in the main forum, Completed Visual Styles/Custom Boot & Login Screens Sub forums are for targeted chats & for releasing/sharing your own creations with Neowin members.

Q. What is the Forum Led by:?

A. That shows who the moderator(s) are who looks after those forums. If you need help or have questions about that forum, you should PM/Email them first.

Q. Is there a list of Moderators/Admins and which forum they cover?

A. Yes its The moderating team

Q. How do I view today's active topics?

A. You can view which new topics have new replies today by clicking on the 'Todays Active Topics' link found on the main board page (the first page you see when visiting the board). You can set your own date critera, choosing to view all topics with new replies during several date choices.

Q. How do I view todays new topics/Posts since my last visit?

A. You can view which new topics have new replies today by clicking on the 'View New' link found on the main board page (the first page you see when visiting the board).

Q. How do I search Neowin's forums?

A. search Neowin

Q. How do I view the membership list?

A. Members

Q. How do I go to the last unread reply?

A. Either:

-New post in a topic

-click on "Last Post by: /In:" "Last Post Info/Last Action"

5c: Restricted / Password-Only Forums

Q. What is a Restricted forum/Area?

A. A Restricted Area requires a Forum Password. And for you to signup and agree to Terms of use for that forum.

5d: Unable to stay logged in or unable to enter Members Metropolis

Q. I am having problems logging in. Is there any help for this?

A. Quick Links: Members Metropolis | Phoenix not keeping cookies | Wanna Be Invisible! | Some Login Issues | Can't stay logged in | Logging in and out | Cookies and cookie usage | Delete cookies set by this board

If you need more help, please post a new topic in the"Site & Forum Issues" forum.

SECTION 6 - Troubleshooting & Quick Links/Shortcuts

Q. I keep getting "Server Busy" messages. Why?

A. At peak times with hundreds of users on Neowin, the server will only allow a maximum load (people on the server). When that limit is reached you will temporarily be given the "Server Busy" message. Please refrsh and try again.

Q. How do I unblock ads to show on the front page?

A. The following list are the ad servers Neowin uses:

• media.fastclick.net
  • mediaxx.fastclick.net
  • fastclick.net
  • ad.doubleclick.net
  • ads.ad-flow.com
  • adserve.invisionpower.com
  • google.com/adsense

Quick Links

My Controls | New Private Messages | View New / Active Posts |Rules

The moderating team | Today's active topics | Today's top 10 posters |

Neowin Lite Forum Skin | Edit Signature | Edit Avatar Settings

Sig Guidelines | Desktops Thread: Ruleset | Windows Customization FAQ | Authorized Ported Theme | Windows Customization FAQ's and Rules (Pt 2) | Important! : Info On Rips

SECTION 7 - Change of Username

Facts:

• Members are only allowed ONE account.
  • NEVER make a new account instead of asking for a name change
  • Only an Administrator (Daniel, Neobond or Redmak) or a Supervisor (AgEnTsMiTh, Joel, WishX, Toxicfume, Fred Derf) can change your username. Don't waste mods/your time by asking Moderators.
  • Please ONLY use the PM system to request name changes. Emails or MSN messages may be discarded.
  • We will NOT delete an existing member/name so you can use it.
  • Changing your name too often will be monitored & maybe denied.
  • Changing your name doesn't change your reputation on this site or any warnings you may have.
  • You may request a name change no matter what your current post count is.

Helpful tips & guidelines when sending PM for Name Change:

• Use "Name Change: <<old name>> | <<new name>>" in PM Title.
  • Check FIRST to see the name you want isn't already taken here.
  • BE PATIENT. Please wait at least 48hrs before reminding the admin.
  • TM and | symbols are fun but not easy to use when it comes to logging in.
  • You will receive an automated Email informing you when your name has been changed.

If you make a separate "how do I change my name" thread in the future, it may be deleted without any notice!

Edit:

Members without a warning can now change their display name from their "My Controls" panel. As a result, we generally will not be changing names manually.

Edited by Fred Derf
updated name change procedures

• 5 weeks later...

Section 8 - Neowin's Active Staff Users Guide

Neowin's Active Staff Users Guide

This guide is to better help members with their questions regarding members of staff here at Neowin. This post hopefully will provide members with a better understanding of staff's role.

Our mission here at Neowin is to provide our members with the most up to date and accurate information regarding technology. We strive to make our community a place you can call 'home'. Our desire is to assist you in whatever needs regarding the site that members may have. Below, we have outlined each area of staff's responsibility to their respective positions, as well as places in the community where they help out.

Neowin Administrators 

Neowin's administrators are the founders behind our community. They are responsible for creating content for the site, and making overall decision for the good of the site. Administrators are to be contacted in the following regard:

• If you wish to purchase advertising space on Neowin
  • If you have an issue with how you were moderated
  • If you are a subscriber and are having difficulty with your Neowin e-mail account

Administrators are the highest level of staff here at Neowin. You can easily identify them due to their names being this color on the member list, and on their posts.

Daniel

Neobond

Redmak

Frogboy

Neowin Supervisors 

Supervisors are forum administrators. They have the same permissions for the forums that Neowin Administrators have. Supervisors have the final say above regular Moderators when it comes to disciplinary decisions and can also guide Moderators. If there are currently no Administrators online, Supervisors should be the reference point for the Moderators. You can easily identify them due to their names being this color on the member list, and on their posts.

In disciplinary actions, Supervisors can do all the actions that Neowin Administrators can do including banning members from Neowin if a member’s actions qualify for that type of discipline. Supervisors can also change members names. In order for members to change their name, simply PM a Supervisor with your request. Keep in mind Neowin’s rules about changing your name.

Supervisors should be your first line of contact if you have a problem with how you were moderated or if you have a name change. Supervisors are here to handle the major necessities of the Member base. If a Supervisor is not online, please PM them, and do not create a thread requesting assistance.

The following Neowin Supervisors are currently active at Neowin, and should you have a question in how your post was moderated or anything at all, please refer to their assigned forums listed below their names.

AgEnTsMiTh

Colin-uk

Frank

Fred Derf

kinetix63

Neowin Editors 

Neowin Editors are members of staff who run the news operations. They have the same permissions as administrators but should only be contacted in the absence of an Administrator or Supervisor to deal with forum matters. Editors supervise the hiring of staffers for the main page, edit and approve news submissions made by our staffers and members and make sure our visitors are up to date with the latest in technology news. They can be identified by this color on the forums. There are two levels of editors, the Editor in Chief who deals with external contacts and business operations for the news division and Managing Editors who deal with the day to day operations of the news team.

Shane Pitman (Editor in Chief)

Marshalus

Tom W.

Neowin Developers 

Neowin Developers are members of staff who are behind the scenes making the site more efficient, more compliant and more pleasing to look at. Neowin Developers are also responsible for all the graphics work that makes Neowin unique. These members tirelessly work to make Neowin a better place not only for us, but for the entire internet. They help the Administrators with tweaking the site here and there, improving its overall performance, building the skins, and designing the overall look of Neowin.

Developers primarily spend their time either coding or creating graphics. If you have found an issue with either one, please feel free to contact one of the Developers. You can easily identify them due to their names being this color on the member list, and on their posts.

blackice912

DaveLegg

Eric

FlishFun

Kudos

Rob

simon360

Timan

Neowin Global Moderators 

Neowin Global Moderators are members of staff who are assigned to various forums here at Neowin. You can easily identify them due to their names being this color on the member list, and on their posts. These staff members primarily moderate those assigned forums only. However, if they see activity that needs to be moderated elsewhere, and no other staff assigned to that particular area is available, they have the freedom to keep that forum in order. Neowin Global Moderators have the capabilities to move threads, merge threads, split threads, post-count lock threads, pin threads, delete threads, close threads, delete posts, edit posts, edit polls and edit post titles.

In disciplinary moves, Neowin Global Moderators can warn members, restrict members from a specific forum or the community altogether, edit a member's profile, avatar, and signature. Neowin Global Moderators can help advise Neowin Moderators with restrictions.

Neowin Global Moderators cannot change a member's account at all. Neowin Global Moderators must confer with Neowin Supervisors on discipline that merits a ban from Neowin altogether.

The following Neowin Global Moderators are currently active at Neowin, and should you have a question in how your post was moderated or anything at all, please refer to their assigned forums listed below their names. If a Moderator does not have a forum listed under their names, they are global group moderators. They assist where they can in the community.

Aaron

Barney

bmaher

DirtyLarry

dreamz

giga

gigapixels

John S.

Persephone

PureLegend

shockz

Si

Triliaeris

Neowin Forum Moderators 

Neowin Forum Moderators are members of staff who are assigned to various forums here at Neowin. You can easily identify them due to their names being this color on the member list, and on their posts. These staff members moderate those assigned forums only. Neowin Forum Moderators have the capabilities to move threads, merge threads, split threads, pin threads, delete threads, close threads, delete posts, edit posts, edit polls and edit post titles.

In disciplinary moves, Neowin Forum Moderators can warn members, edit a member's profile, avatar, and signature. Neowin Forum Moderators cannot change a member's account at all. Neowin Forum Moderators need to consult with Neowin Global Moderators or Neowin Supervisors in order to restrict members.

Pink Floyd

Troll

Neowin News Staff 

Neowin News Staff are members of staff who's only responsibility is to gather news from our sources, and post them on the main page. You can easily identify them due to their names being this color on the member list, and on their posts.

Click here for a current list of News Staffers

Please use this guide as you make your way through our community!

• 3 years later...