GURU3D.COM to close on 17.12.2001

I read this over at GURU3D.COM :( :( :(

The End - Hilbert Hagedoorn @ 17:31

Dear visitor,

After over 5 years on this site I have decided to throw in the white towel, Guru3D.com will cease to exist after upcoming Monday.

Let me explain my motivation and reasons. Last Thursday we got a letter from our current host Playnet. This company had decided to boot all their affiliates due to the current state of the Internet. This has happened often to us. The internet is a hard place, however I'm used to that.

The past 12 months Guru3D.com took of from 500.000 pageviews to 5 million pageviews monthly. Prognosis for December 2001 was almost 7 million pageviews. Something I'm extremely proud of. Let's face it, if that many content is being read I must be doing something right.

However, I'm tired .. tired of switching to new servers constantly, tired of seeking new hosts and mostly tired of working on the site constantly. Being chief editor on a site like Guru3D.com is basically a one man operation when it comes to content. 90% of the workload is being done by me. I have a normal daytime job, the past two years my day starts at 05:15 each morning and starts with the site, when I return from the normal job I continue with the site, usually I stop at 20:00, that's 75 hours a week excluding the weekends which I mostly used to write up articles and do research on new products which then totals in 85+ hours of work weekly.

I'm getting my normal life back before it's too late, in return I'll have to disband my greatest passion for well over five years. Please, do not blame this on Playnet, the fact that they give their affiliates a 5 day notice to move out is of course ridiculous. But for over a year they have given us everything we needed to do our thing, with no strings attached. In fact it's just sad that such a company with such potential is going down.

With this letter I want to thank each and every one of you for visiting this site, I thank all editors, webmasters, manufacturers, advertisers, networks, affiliates and most of all all the people I knew personally especially the ones in that wicked forum of ours, you know who you are .. I love you people.

I'm honestly writing this letter with tears in my eyes, please don't try to contact me as this will make my decision only harder and I'm having such a very difficult time with it as it is already. Please respect this last wish.

Thank you so much ...

Hilbert Hagedoorn