Anyone Here Have The Canon Sd990? Curious About The Widescreen Shots

That allows you to take a picture in widescreen mode. I have widescreen feature (or option whichever you call it) in my camera settings.

If you don't want to take a picture in widescreen, then you can change to normal mode .... or in specific size you want.

• Like 1

That's... stupid. It's not any wider than a full resolution picture; it just crops your full resolution photo.

If your camera's max out put was say 3000x2000, and you switched to wide screen, it'll probably output something like 3000x1500. Why use that mode?

Yeah, you're intelligent. First, it allows you to take the picture in the appropriate aspect ratio without any post-production adjustment. Second, because it is "cropped" the file size is smaller, allowing more pictures to fit on a memory card. Widescreen modes generally take pictures at 720p or 1080p, so no, they will not be 3000x1500. It's an optional mode that some people may find useful, perhaps even desireable, and you should appreciate that many camera manufacturers give the option. Quit being a dip****. Many cameras have a TV-out capability, and most of us aren't using 4:3 monitors anymore.

To the OP: I have a Sony camera, so I could post shots, but they wouldn't tell you anything about the performance of the Canon model you have.

Edited by Darrian

Well that's a completely unnecessary response there Darrian. Crazy does raise the relatively sensible issue of retaining highest quality original file, then doing changes later while retaining the original. You couldn't uncrop the produced widescreen image for example. Equally, storage space is rather cheap, even portable storage for cameras.

I use widescreen mode for my needs.. you don't need to tell me what I can or can't do, crazzy.

I find widescreen mode useful because I use some of my photos as wallpapers for my widescreen monitors. That way, I don't have to pull my graphic program up to crop it out. It's already made in my camera. And my camera has about 6 sizes I think.

See Canon website that this camera has widescreen option. Go here.

crazzy, Andy and I have widescreen option in settings. I noticed your camera.... that has S, M, L sizes for picture taking but your camera has widescreen option (1,280 x 720 pixels) for movie which is great for YouTube upload! Mine doesn't have it! You are lucky!

• Like 1

Actually, the 990 doesn't have hd video :( The 970 does but supposedly the PQ isn't all that great. At least in comparison to the 990. I'm sure Canon will update the 990 to have hd video but I need something for a long vacation coming up. I don't think 720 is all that important to me. It would be nice to have but honestly the vids would probably always be played on the computer so 480 should be good enough. I think :)

Actually, the 990 doesn't have hd video :( The 970 does but supposedly the PQ isn't all that great. At least in comparison to the 990. I'm sure Canon will update the 990 to have hd video but I need something for a long vacation coming up. I don't think 720 is all that important to me. It would be nice to have but honestly the vids would probably always be played on the computer so 480 should be good enough. I think :)

I know you don't have it... I meant crazzy's Nikon camera that has widescreen version of videos that can be used for YouTube or other media based websites... that's what I want but I don't have it in my camera. You have widescreen mode for picture taking.

Hopefully, I get a new camera someday soon. But I will need to work on upgrading my computer first before I get anything else.

• Like 1

Ah ok. Well, I just placed the order for the sd990. HD video is not all that important to me. It would be nice to have for sure but it's not a requirement.

Widescreen modes generally take pictures at 720p or 1080p, so no, they will not be 3000x1500.

Those are video sizes/terms... Why take a TINY picture that's at 1250x720 just to have it "widescreen?"

And if you're trying to save size, just make the output size medium instead of large. Or normal instead of fine.

And I had a Canon SD600 that had that feature you guys are talking about (At first I thought it was called something else), and it would take the photos as 3000x1500 (or something similar), and not "720p."

And no need to personally insult people. Way to be a little kid.

The widescreen resolution on the camera is 4,416 x 2,480. Good enough for my purposes I think

Yea, exactly. It's not "720p" lol...

Enjoy the camera Andy. Put some photos in our digital gallery thread when you get a chance.