Longhorn UI special FX?

soul2keep u should settle down, if n00bs are too lazy to check billions of same posts in LONGHORN forum saying that the build 4015 is different...and i'm pretty sure it could get stupidier :p

DCE (code-named Avalon) is in the 4015 build we all(?) have!!!!!

SideBar is built using it!!!!

But alas no FXs :cry:

If you take a look in some screenshots of the build of 4015 being used at WinHEC (Which was compiled by Lab_06, not Main, which was the leaked version), you'll see a batch file named DCE. From what I've read, the effects need to be run from the command line.

As well, Lab 06 builds seem to have more features than the main builds -- Build 3683 was by Lab_06 and there was a new Desktop Properties panel; yet in the leaks of 4008 and 4015, its not.

If you take a look in some screenshots of the build of 4015 being used at WinHEC (Which was compiled by Lab_06, not Main, which was the leaked version), you'll see a batch file named DCE. From what I've read, the effects need to be run from the command line.

As well, Lab 06 builds seem to have more features than the main builds -- Build 3683 was by Lab_06 and there was a new Desktop Properties panel; yet in the leaks of 4008 and 4015, its not.

Yeah I liked that Desktop Properties panel. Hopefully it will make it into a main build again later

If you take a look in some screenshots of the build of 4015 being used at WinHEC (Which was compiled by Lab_06, not Main, which was the leaked version), you'll see a batch file named DCE.  From what I've read, the effects need to be run from the command line.

Yeah I liked that Desktop Properties panel. Hopefully it will make it into a main build again later

Yeah, it was cool how you could set the desktop color fade, multiple pictures, etc... You could use most of the features even though there was XML errors all over it

While not directly linked to longhorn, the latest beta build of WindowFX released on Object Desktop last night supports window dragging animations such as those seen in longhorn.

Anyone who has an OD subscription and a card with decent drivers might have some fun with it.

hey i just had to ask :p cuz you know those effects r0x0r your b0x0rz ;)

lol :)

DiEMOS: you gotta remember that not all people know stuff about Longhorn (I asked that question myself in a different thread).

Intelligence is all relative on what you know!

Aslong as you have non-public registry keys, batch file to start DCE (Microsoft Desktop Compositing Engine) and of course DX9 compliant hardware (9700, it will run crap without it) then sure you can use it :p

DCE (code-named Avalon) is in the 4015 build we all(?) have!!!!!

SideBar is built using it!!!!

But alas no FXs :cry:

um... no. the 4015 that leaked does not contain a (working) version of the DCE, and the sidebar is NOT built using DCE. Sidebar is based on the Avalon framework, which is the codename for the new Windows API and .NET framework being developed for Longhorn.

Eh, it could bake me an apple pie but it still looks ugly. :blink:

Plex is far from the final look of Longhorn - news from that WinHEC demo said that the real desktop not only won't be revealed until at the earliest, beta 1, but that it will bring a sense of photo-realism to the desktop. Just have to wait and see.

Plex is far from the final look of Longhorn - news from that WinHEC demo said that the real desktop not only won't be revealed until at the earliest, beta 1, but that it will bring a sense of photo-realism to the desktop. Just have to wait and see.

I know, I'm just ripping on Longhorn because it's fun to do. :rofl:

I understand what you mean by the current theme supplied with the Longhorn Alpha builds being shoddy. It's a fact. What I don't understand is why Microsoft wastes valuable development time on producing such a, if you don't mind me saying so, half-assed theme? They are going to be hard pushed to get Longhorn finished by 2005 with all the features they claim it will have in it. So why don't they just forget about the UI (at least in the Alpha Builds) and concentrate on the core components such as WinFS (and so on). People don't buy Microsofts OS's for the way they look, if people did that then we would all buy Macs.

So my message to Microsoft is, pull your finger out of your ass and get some real work done.

I understand what you mean by the current theme supplied with the Longhorn Alpha builds is shoddy. It's a fact. What I don't understand is why Microsoft wastes valuable development time on producing such a, if you don't mind me saying so, half-assed theme? They are going to be hard pushed to get Longhorn finished by 2005 with all the features they claim it will have in it. So why don't they just forget about the UI (at least in the Alpha Builds) and concentrate on the core components such as WinFS (and so on). People don't buy Microsofts OS's for the way they look, if people did that then we would all buy Macs.

So my message to Microsoft is, pull your finger out of your ass and get some real work done.

Well said indeed

(this **** is making my eyes water :blink: )

and I love ripping on Apple and their "toy" computers .. coz its fun to do ..

:rofl: