HTC Hero

i have a g1 currently and i've been trying various onscreen keyboards as I find the G1's to be too fiddly for my fat fingers :)

So far, i've yet to find one that convinces me I can survive without a hardware keyboard, it's just so much easier to type on.

there's also the issue of whether or not it will be possible to hack the ROMS on the hero. This is possible on the G1 due to a security hole as I understand. In all the years of owning these phones, i've never once been happy with a provider's ROM.

^The G1 was rooted (Hacked). The Magic was rooted...have faith in the community :D

I have no doubt that this will also be rooted, fitted with various custom Roms and so on. That said, I'd wait 3-4 months until something monstrous comes out like this.

I think that the phone looks beautiful, but the iPhone is still better because of the App Store.

I think the Android Market is just as well, if not better than the iPhone's App Store. Apple takes forever to review and approve products, android market, i've seen new releases in a matter of minutes after reporting a bug

i have a g1 currently and i've been trying various onscreen keyboards as I find the G1's to be too fiddly for my fat fingers :)

So far, i've yet to find one that convinces me I can survive without a hardware keyboard, it's just so much easier to type on.

there's also the issue of whether or not it will be possible to hack the ROMS on the hero. This is possible on the G1 due to a security hole as I understand. In all the years of owning these phones, i've never once been happy with a provider's ROM.

I am the other way round, I have big fingers, and I actually find the physical keyboard easier to use than the on screen deal :/ Have you installed the HTC_IME? It is included by default in Cyanogen's rom, and you can install it easily into others

I think the Android Market is just as well, if not better than the iPhone's App Store. Apple takes forever to review and approve products, android market, i've seen new releases in a matter of minutes after reporting a bug

The android market is much better in concept than the apple store. The wider variety of community policed applications holds much more value than the closed narrow minded police state that is apple. The problem with the android market is it's implementation, its clunky and basically poor at pushing new content at the user. Once they revamp it, things will be better.

People need to see past the iphone, apple watched the innovators (Microsoft with WinMo, for one) copied all the features, listened to what the community wanted then ran off and created a basic but well polished vision of what others had paved the way for. Microsoft helped them get there with the complete brainfreeze they had with WinMo, meaning they completely dropped the ball and rendered their product unsuitable for the upcoming touch screen devices. Given it's timing, the iphone took off, grabbed all the glory and sold, big time. Apple's time in this area is coming to an end; sure, the isheep will continue to go with their products, but the shift will start towards android later this year on a massive scale. The reality is that apple is a communist dictatorship, everyone is controlled and equal, you're allowed a set of applications which are vetted for you, you can only customise what they dictate you can customise, then, despite your loyalty and massive investment into their overpriced product, your then mis-sold new features such as a video recorder and "cut and paste" as "must haves" for a new revision of the hardware when the existing hardware is totally capable. Android is the exact opposite of this model, the open sourceness of it allows the users of the phones to add specific functionality which is spawned from the actual userbase, NOT from the blinkered control freak out of touch dictator running the company.

I'm confident that if we return to this thread in 1-2 years, the playing field will have less apples on it as the androids will have stomped them into the ground as they surge forward ;)

I'm confident that if we return to this thread in 1-2 years, the playing field will have less apples on it as the androids will have stomped them into the ground as they surge forward ;)

Attack of the clones? :laugh:

If it wasnt so expensive to buy this out-right, I would ... I pre-ordered my mytough3G on july 8th ... have the g1 one also, got it on launch as well. I love Android, it's a great OS =)

If it wasnt so expensive to buy this out-right, I would ... I pre-ordered my mytough3G on july 8th ... have the g1 one also, got it on launch as well. I love Android, it's a great OS =)

i see you're from electronica! i'm from there too :) i live on cactus island ;)

Yes it's quite expensive, almost as expensive as Touch Pro 2. :hmmm:

Yes, but the kicker there is winMO. Android is better than winMO. I'm not a fanboy either, i've owned the wing, the TynTyn II, Dash, Shadow...all are winmo phones, also have owned blackberry. 8700 g, and currently an 8900. Android is more polished than both. Winmo was slow, bb os you have to go through a million menus to get where I want, plus the lack of touch screen on bb, unless you have the storm.

I would definitely get this phone if I didn't have 16 months left on my contract...and if it was available on Vodafone (get good deals from loyalty).

WinMo is being kept alive by HTC's innovation in the software department. Without that I think you'd see far less WinMo based devices. If MS gets it's act together and WinMo7 brings everything to the table, it may well be a contender again. Until then, avoid, you can get better functionality/experience with android.

Android's market is good, but does it have the vast variety of the App Store? The App store is implemented perfectly and works just great. Although Apple does take a while to review Apps and approve them, they are getting faster (1-3 business day time now). It's only when there is a huge surge of app submissions that the approval time goes up.

As I said before I love the Hero, it's beautiful and in the videos it works great out of the box, but without the massive App store that Apple has I still would want an iPhone (I don't have one :p).

As I said before I love the Hero, it's beautiful and in the videos it works great out of the box, but without the massive App store that Apple has I still would want an iPhone (I don't have one :p).

It'll take some time for the android market to catch up with the appstore yes, but I don't think it's going to take long for it to happen. There are a LOT of good apps for the android platform, it's finding them that's half the problem ;)

Android's market is good, but does it have the vast variety of the App Store? The App store is implemented perfectly and works just great. Although Apple does take a while to review Apps and approve them, they are getting faster (1-3 business day time now). It's only when there is a huge surge of app submissions that the approval time goes up.

That is a misconception spread by apple fans, there are plenty of decent apps available for android

It'll take some time for the android market to catch up with the appstore yes, but I don't think it's going to take long for it to happen. There are a LOT of good apps for the android platform, it's finding them that's half the problem ;)

Yep, the search is a bit crap on the Android market

All of these new phones lately look so great but I'm not comfortable buying a phone with no keypad... I wish some of them would get a keypad like HTC Touch Pro 2.

HTC make some nice phones but I wouldn't get it though, the fact that the OS needs a front end (both WinMo and Android) to look pretty is a huge turn off for me. I haven't see anything that is even close to the iPhone UI, Apple have really nailed that. .....

anything that is even close to iPhone UI?? what, a grid of icons? i've been using my iPhone for over a year and love using it, but if theres anything i'd change, first would be a major update to the interface.

whats awesome about android and WM is all the customization thats possible. the phones already have "front ends", its just nice that you can customize it even farther

anything that is even close to iPhone UI?? what, a grid of icons? i've been using my iPhone for over a year and love using it, but if theres anything i'd change, first would be a major update to the interface.

whats awesome about android and WM is all the customization thats possible. the phones already have "front ends", its just nice that you can customize it even farther

+1 to everything in your post.

The hero brings a nicer looking and more functional UI to the table. I've been using the iphone 3g since they came out last year and I have to say that this looks much nicer, more functionality is brought to the device without even having to open up an application. I can change home screens and see my mail, messages, twitter and facebook. Much easier then the iphone where you have to open up a whole selection of apps to check those things.

funny thing how important UIs are these days. I mean, the thing is packing almost the exact same hardware as an HTC magic (although some versions of the magic appear to have less RAM) and everyone (including myself) is drooling about it

funny thing how important UIs are these days. I mean, the thing is packing almost the exact same hardware as an HTC magic (although some versions of the magic appear to have less RAM) and everyone (including myself) is drooling about it

The thing I think where HTC have ballsed up is that the software they added is well and truely bloated! 100mb of memory usage just for the added extras! In comparison the whole of Android on boot only uses around 100mb!

It looks nice! but they really need to look at getting that memory usage down!

WHY did t mobile have to get that god-awful Magic instead of the Hero? I would have gotten this phone without batting an eyelash...for now, I have to suffer with my squeaky G1...

This phone looks serious, id love love love to get one...some day...

I didn't search in the BPN section. Thank you.

This thread does not have all legibility as the Hero uses Android with a custom UI so still, it's a little different. The core is the same, the feeling isn't. And, we still don't know how the custom UI affects the core.

The Custom UI Is VERY Custom. Everything is pretty much linked together. some of the devs on XDA have been working on it for the last few weeks now (ie they have it running on the G1 phones) It's pretty nice used it for awhile but no working Bluetooth/Led's right now but they are getting close on them both.