HTC Hero

I finally received my Hero :D first thing i done was root it by watching theunlockr.com's videos..EASY AS! Couldn't believe how easy it was lol

Installed the new Modaco ROM..easy as too :D

Phone is fast as hell..what a great purchase, every easy to use.

Now im downloading apps from the Marketplace lol Chuck Norris jokes app FTW :p

I finally received my Hero :D first thing i done was root it by watching theunlockr.com's videos..EASY AS! Couldn't believe how easy it was lol

Installed the new Modaco ROM..easy as too :D

Phone is fast as hell..what a great purchase, every easy to use.

Now im downloading apps from the Marketplace lol Chuck Norris jokes app FTW :p

The modaco ROM is rooted already, so there is no other rooting process needed as far as I know :)

But don't you need to root it first to update the ROM? or is that feature where you hold HOME+POWER and update from the update.zip there without rooting?

Can you recommend anything i should do straight up?

But don't you need to root it first to update the ROM? or is that feature where you hold HOME+POWER and update from the update.zip there without rooting?

Can you recommend anything i should do straight up?

The first thing you need to do is fastboot the recovery image and, optionally, flash the recovery image to your device so you can continue booting the recovery image anytime you want easily. If you don't, you can continue by using fastboot to boot the recovery image every time you need to install the ROM.

The recovery image lets install the MoDaCo ROM (the update from update.zip feature you speak of). You do not need to root before doing that.

Rooting occurs when you have any ROM and wish to have full filesystem access. The MoDaCo ROM is already rooted (using adb). I did not have to perform any rooting routine, as far as I recall.

EDIT: to recap, all I did was just flash the recovery image, perform a full wipe and install the MoDaCo ROM using the flashed recovery image. Every time from then, I just use the recovery image and update from update.zip.

HAHA...ah well, it's all good now :)

The only hiccup i had was went i updated to Moadaco's ROM, my SMS wasn't working properly. So after some research i found out you need to do a wipe from the recovery image BEFORE installing the new ROM, but im all sorted now :p

HAHA...ah well, it's all good now :)

The only hiccup i had was went i updated to Moadaco's ROM, my SMS wasn't working properly. So after some research i found out you need to do a wipe from the recovery image BEFORE installing the new ROM, but im all sorted now :p

Thats good. I hope I was able to help! Enjoy your significantly faster phone!

Cheers man :D

I am totally a Android n00b :p 24 hours in and im finding it freakin easy and intuitive to use...with phones like these, i can't believe people are restricting themselves to iPhones lol

I am totally a Android n00b :p 24 hours in and im finding it freakin easy and intuitive to use...with phones like these, i can't believe people are restricting themselves to iPhones lol

Good to hear it's all good! I have loved my Android experience. My iPod Touch is now collecting dust. Android feels like the perfect mix between user-friendly, intuitive and ability to mod to one's desire!

there are much better looking roms on xda so you guys know. too bad us here in the US have to wait until next month or so for the hero to launch through sprint. :crazy:

one question guys...how is the "in call" volume on the hero? i mean is it pretty loud while on a phone call? that's one issue i have had while playing with android, the volume is too darn low but i also heard there is a audio hack out there for rooted users!

I wouldn't consider the iPhone 'restrictive' in any way - it's a superb device!

I must admit I am considering a Hero as my next phone, after my iPhone 3G - not because of limitations of the iPhone, but purely because Apple's approach to app approvals and so forth. Am I reading it correctly that most of the launch problems with the device are now fixed with firmware updates?

smooth3006 Posted Yesterday, 18:22

there are much better looking roms on xda so you guys know. too bad us here in the US have to wait until next month or so for the hero to launch through sprint. mad.gif

What are they called? and what benefits over Modaco's ROM are in the other ones?

one question guys...how is the "in call" volume on the hero? i mean is it pretty loud while on a phone call? that's one issue i have had while playing with android, the volume is too darn low but i also heard there is a audio hack out there for rooted users!

On my Hero the volume of the other person on the other end of the phone is way loud when the volume is on maximum. I have to take it down two notches

I must admit I am considering a Hero as my next phone, after my iPhone 3G - not because of limitations of the iPhone, but purely because Apple's approach to app approvals and so forth. Am I reading it correctly that most of the launch problems with the device are now fixed with firmware updates?

Yeah man that's right..no more lag :p it was a bit stupid of them not to ship the device with the new firmware originally...

What are they called? and what benefits over Modaco's ROM are in the other ones?

On my Hero the volume of the other person on the other end of the phone is way loud when the volume is on maximum. I have to take it down two notches

Yeah man that's right..no more lag :p it was a bit stupid of them not to ship the device with the new firmware originally...

so your saying they had the new firmware when the device came out but decided to use a slow firmware instead? see, on planet earth, superman doesn't exist, so the htc devs couldn't fly into the future to ship the hero with the new firmware. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know where to get the white version in the UK on a decent contract? All the contracts I have seen offered by the major players in the UK are either the Graphite or Pink version or the T-Mobile G2 Touch Custom Black version. The only deal in white I have seen is at eXpansys UK.

Does anyone know of any other alternative contracts offering the white version?

so your saying they had the new firmware when the device came out but decided to use a slow firmware instead? see, on planet earth, superman doesn't exist, so the htc devs couldn't fly into the future to ship the hero with the new firmware. :rolleyes:

Not at all.

Re read it before you get all flustered and angry. And instead of pointing lame **** like this out, maybe you could actually contribute something worthwhile.. It's people like you who let Neowin down :( ANYWAY...

I'm just saying that it should of been released with the firmware they're rolling out now, rather than a half-arsed firmware that performed below everyone's expectations and caused it to cop bad reviews.. it's a lot better now :p

So ease the **** up..

And everyone knows superman can't time travel into the future

Not at all.

Re read it before you get all flustered and angry. And instead of pointing lame **** like this out, maybe you could actually contribute something worthwhile.. It's people like you who let Neowin down :( ANYWAY...

I'm just saying that it should of been released with the firmware they're rolling out now, rather than a half-arsed firmware that performed below everyone's expectations and caused it to cop bad reviews.. it's a lot better now :p

So ease the **** up..

And everyone knows superman can't time travel into the future

no, its people like you who take sarcasm serious and fill their posts with numerous swear words who let neowin down. I guess you missed my sarcastic smile...

another way saying it is they should of not released it till they had a well-performing firmware. then again some people said that they didn't have performance problems because they didn't have many widgets running.

Is that HTC Hero revision (for Sprint) actually coming to the UK ?

Nothing official. I reckon it's pretty unlikely. Unless Vodafone try to get it I suppose.

Would rather wait till the next iteration to be honest. Even though it sounds like they've ironed out lag issues with the firmware update, hopefully the next model will be better spec'd to begin with.

Bhav - Oh well .. no Sprint revision for the UK, I think I'll avoid the current Hero and save my $$$ for now.

Hopefully HTC will stoop to adding a flash and some decent camera modes to the next 'Hero' incarnation if they want to make it the phone it should be.

I'm on the brink of getting a 3GS and done my extensive research into the Hero.

It's an amazing phone, really it is but I think it needs just abit more maturing until it's ready. Just a few optimisations and then it will truely take the crown.

I'm going to get the 3GS for now but the next gen Hero (2) should take the top spot.

Having compared the iPod touch with Android, all I will say is this:

Multitasking rules

And yes, the new firmware is a hell of a lot faster according to most of my sources

• 2 weeks later...
There's probably one thing that lets the Hero down, browsing! It's sluggish and unusable in my opinion. Damn, so close to buying it too

Then maybe the one you were using wasn't updated? Browsing on mine is smooth as.

Maybe you should update the firmware. The one that shipped with it was slow. Process takes about 15mins.

Yeah I've heard this firmware/ROM update actually transforms the performance of the Hero.

I'm soooo tempted to get it partly because my SE W595 crashes so much, and partly because I really want all the cool features like calendar, mail, GPS etc. If only I had ?370 lying around:((

(Edit: I want it sim free as I've still got 12 months left on my current contract)