There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

TMPGEnc CPU Usage (.Mov to .AVI)

Hi,

I've got about 250 hours worth of 1024x768 MOV files that I'm wanting to convert to AVI (with XViD codec). I set up TMPGEnc to add a colour filter and use the "ffdshow" video codec, set to 95% MPEG-4/XViD to re-encode which comes out pretty much the same as the original but 1/4th of the file size.

Problem is, when I'm encoding it's only using 20-25% CPU (Q9550) spread across all four cores, so around 5-7% on each, I've got the task priority set to high but it still only uses a small percentage of the CPU, am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't it be using 100%?

If anyone could suggest settings that will get it done faster, or even a different applications (as long as it's not too expensive) it would be appreciated! Thanks.

The last time I used that software I remember there were several options for the CPU. You can enable different instructions and stuff like that. See if it helps.

What version of TMPGEnc are you using?

And what does your CPU/GPU settings look like? I've attached mine below.

Radish?

post-4583-1246930057_thumb.jpg

Using the latest version; 4.7.1.284 all the options look okay, I've enabled/disabled CUDA for the GTX 260 too, just to see if that made any difference but it didn't unfortunately.

post-237495-1246930697_thumb.jpg

Done a reinstall of the program? If you have, might be worth contacting their technical support.

Radish?

I just tried re-installing it, same problem - I also tried on my laptop (T7250) and it still only used about 55%.

I also tried different "Video Codec" settings and it's the same too, annoying. I'll try contacting their technical support in the morning. Thanks.

edit; The "Avidemux" freeware encoder application uses 100% with the same settings so it must be the actual TMPGEnc program.

edit 2; If I set "Prefetch video while encoding" "Use 256MB video cache memory" TMPGEnc uses about 55% CPU, setting it any higher than 256mb doesn't make it use any more though :(!

Edited by ZakO

• 4 months later...

Hi, maybe you can convert your mov file to avi first with iWisoft Free Video Converter or something like this, then do some trimming video job to save valuable part. Any way, good luck.