Portable applications don't work on win7

Thinapp'ed applications dont work in Windows 7 yet, waiting for new expected release soon. I suspect the applications will have to be Thinapp'ed again.

Vmware works 100%

NSIS portables work quite well.

which apps do not work? Do you have write access to the folder where you run the apps?

HAHA :D which apps?????? as if some do work & some don't, this is not the case with this another piece of **** from MS, i've tried some 32 different portable applications & games by now, none of them work.

even tried troubleshoot compatibility, but nothing seems to be workin.

& yes I have write access as well.

thanx pal.

Portable apps that are stored in Program Files (I have made some installers for them) or in other protected storage locations are getting troubles, not all of them, though.

This is if you have UAC turn on (I always turn it off in Vista and Seven, but I'm making test for apps I develop). The blame is on the apps themselves.

Thinapp programs do not work on Windows 7!

If a little popup is displayed in the bottom right corner of your screen everytime you launch the portable program, that is a Thinapp portable. Those do not work on Windows 7 yet.

If you still want to run them, you can try Windows XP Mode.

http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/details...;displaylang=en

First, VMWare has to update Thinapp to support Windows 7 (expected by the end of the year). Then all these programs will have to be re-compiled for Windows 7. You'll just have to wait until then.

this is not the case with this another piece of **** from MS

Yes, it's Microsoft's fault that your hacked apps don't work. Well done, have a cookie.

Yes, it's Microsoft's fault that your hacked apps don't work. Well done, have a cookie.

If it works on XP it should work on se7en as well. :)

Apart from this there are a whole lot of softwares & games that have compatibility issues with se7en.

almost every application launched before XP works on it, can we claim the same for se7en ?

Thinned apps have different installs in XP and 7, so no, it shouldn't work. You need to redo them. All PortableApps work fine, thinned ones are OS dependent for the most part. This is not the OS's fault.

As stated before, wait for an update.

If it works on XP it should work on se7en as well. :)

Apart from this there are a whole lot of softwares & games that have compatibility issues with se7en.

almost every application launched before XP works on it, can we claim the same for se7en ?

God people are stupid, no really, ain't there some award for retarded comments? If there ain't one, there aught to be one!

First, VMWare has to update Thinapp to support Windows 7 (expected by the end of the year). Then all these programs will have to be re-compiled for Windows 7. You'll just have to wait until then.

why should any software need updating to be compatible with se7en ? :blink:

there are many softwares that were launched b4 XP & had no compatibility issues.

You really don't understand a bit about what a thinned app is do you?

They make use of the OS's native paths to understand how and where to emulate the "normal" install.

Vista changed that from XP, Seven changed it slightly from Vista. A well written install would be aware of this, as it is interracting with the OS. The whole point of a slimmed install is to NOT interract with the OS, but rather emulate paths and the registry. But what it is attempting to emulate has changed.

Would you expect them to work on OSX? No? Then why a whole new OS for a PC?

I was told se7en is being developed to resolve all the compatibility issues of Vista, but it seems they've just repacked the old junk in new box ...haha :D

Don't talk like a dick. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, and badmouthing Seven in such an uninformed way makes you look retarded.

It's not 7 that's incompatible but rather your unauthorised, hacked apps.

You know what's else rude? Obviously disregarding what several posters have said and acting like it's thin air, only to post the same untrue thing over and over again even though people have gone to extents to explain it.

Go away troll, we don't want you here.

You know what's else rude? Obviously disregarding what several posters have said and acting like it's thin air, only to post the same untrue thing over and over again even though people have gone to extents to explain it.

Go away troll, we don't want you here.

ok :(

@Byuv

I've already asked you the magically question. Do you have write access to the folder where you start your portable apps? Portable means, the apps store their configuration and user settings into configuration file (ini or xml) inside the program folder.

Portable apps that are stored in Program Files (I have made some installers for them) or in other protected storage locations are getting troubles, not all of them, though.

This is if you have UAC turn on (I always turn it off in Vista and Seven, but I'm making test for apps I develop). The blame is on the apps themselves.

i always have UAC on, anyways vmware has to add support for windows 7 but if these portable apps work without recompiling them then thats good but chances are they will need to be redone which is fine by me(might be a pain to redo but sometimes you gotta get your hands dirty)

Running Win 7 RC, Build 7100 (64-Bit). I have portable MPC-Home Cinema, Pocket DivX Encoder and HJ Split.

All have worked perfectly since official Win 7 Beta and with all the builds up to, and including, 7100

• 3 weeks later...

From VM ThinApp forum...

I'd be surprised if someone was able to come up with a work-around. Microsoft moved the implementation of a lot of APIs to different DLLs, e.g. CreateFileW is now (mostly) implemented in kernelbase.dll while in previous Windows versions it was implemented in kernel32.dll. ThinApp doesn't know about kernelbase.dll and therefore a lot of API calls are not getting hooked properly. You can't just move all the hooks from kernel32.dll to kernelbase.dll because some APIs are still implemented in kernel32.dll.

This is not a fundamental problem with the way ThinApp works, we're working on it. Those of you who have been to BriForum might have seen the demo of ThinApped Office 2010 running on Windows 7.

So ThinApps won't run per the info...