Opera Wants More From Microsoft

539 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think That Opera Is Right?

• Yes
    • No

opera.gif

It seems that Opera likes messing with Microsoft. As you know, Norwegian Opera Software got the support of EU

Commission for Windows 7 without IE integration. They managed to block IE to be the default browser without getting permission from Microsoft. Now, they want more from Microsoft.

Opera software has a new suggestion to EU Commission. Opera wants the updates of browsers to be integrated with Windows Update and distributed by Microsoft. Opera thinks that if Microsoft doesn't distribute the security updates of rival browsers, it will cause some problems for users.

I really wonder the response of Microsoft to Opera's new suggestion...

Edited by BoomyBoy

Of course they do. They always do. I guess this is how to get fame: By acting like an idiotic child and causing drama. They're doing a good job at it! TOO BAD [almost] NO ONE WANTS TO USER OPERA THOUGH.

A centralised update platform for all software is potentially a good thing, it would allow all system and application updates to come through one channel, that is certainly less of a headache for the end user, who may have multiple different applications, each with its own update feature, etc.

That being said, it is not Microsoft's job to provide an update manager for every other 3rd party application out there, if they provided a platform to do so, fair enough, but that mean that Microsoft may end up having to Support updates for 3rd party applications, which is ridiculous.

I think that if Opera made a good enough product, they wouldn't have have this problem. Microsoft has every right to distribute it's own products with its operating system and should have no obligation to promote competing products. Companies who make software that is genuinely better than what is included with Windows never had any trouble competing. Adobe never lost market share to Microsoft Paint or Movie Maker. Or if you would prefer a smaller scale, Winamp has been a dominant media player for as long as I can remember, despite Windows Media Player being included with Windows. And more recently, a direct case and point to the Opera fiasco would be Firefox.

I think that if Opera made a good enough product, they wouldn't have have this problem. Microsoft has every right to distribute it's own products with its operating system and should have no obligation to promote competing products. Companies who make software that is genuinely better than what is included with Windows never had any trouble competing. Adobe never lost market share to Microsoft Paint or Movie Maker. Or if you would prefer a smaller scale, Winamp has been a dominant media player for as long as I can remember, despite Windows Media Player being included with Windows. And more recently, a direct case and point to the Opera fiasco would be Firefox.

Well, if I remember correctly the EU had Microsoft remove WMP from their versions too, correct?

Well, if I remember correctly the EU had Microsoft remove WMP from their versions too, correct?

No, they made Microsoft sell an N version which didn't include Media player, we still had the full product available though :)

I prefer Windows Media Player over all the others anyway.

Opera are becoming a little over the top. I mean I think we'd all love to have every app update through one simplified app, but it's not going to happen.

That's absolutely ****ing ridiculous. This IS NOT Linux, there is no software package manager designed to do this. Perhaps Opera wants to give Microsoft the money to help fund this? OH WAIT - Opera can't even afford advertising, so I guess not! Are Opera purposely trying to make Windows 7 fail?

Bingo. This is why Firefox grabbed the majority of market. It was by far a superior product and had a very positive campaign.

Opera should be really stopped. I mean this is truly beyond despicable. I am really starting to like all these campaigns from users against Opera.

When you can't compete, whine and cry unfair. I mean asking them to utilize a company's own infrastracture to distribute updates to rival applications is beyond ridiculous. I am ****ing glad I don't live in Europe anymore. I have beefs with some things in US, but the freakin' system over there is beyond ridiculous. That's why they can only do it there.

Firstly: OP, do you have a source for what you posted?

Secondly: If this is true someone needs to tell Opera to stop smoking funny herbs. They're being ridiculous.

Firstly: OP, do you have a source for what you posted?

Secondly: If this is true someone needs to tell Opera to stop smoking funny herbs. They're being ridiculous.

Yeah I've read it from Chip Online

In any event, people are actually agreeing that Opera is right in requesting this? :huh:

It makes absolutely no sense why Microsoft should even have the ballot screen, not to mention have browser updates through Windows Update itself. So am I to understand that Opera does not have it's own update feature built into the browser or what? That's even more fail on Operas part if true.

Wow,Opera are being the new found EU idiots that stand up for themselves.

Most pathetic software company I ever heard of.At least a known one.

Bingo. This is why Firefox grabbed the majority of market. It was by far a superior product and had a very positive campaign.

Firefox got its market share (hardly the majority btw) by getting idiots to use it who believed all the crap they spouted, it then became "cool" to use firefox and install it on parents PCs etc. Of the people I know who have used it or use it, none of them can give any real reason why the actually use it so if it's as good as people say, they should be able to list at least a couple of things about it.

That being said, it is not Microsoft's job to provide an update manager for every other 3rd party application out there, if they provided a platform to do so, fair enough, but that mean that Microsoft may end up having to Support updates for 3rd party applications, which is ridiculous.

Well, no.. But IE doesn't have an update manager, it is updated through the Windows update process itself, alongside all the Windows components. One could argue that there is a distinction there, and that IE's competitors should have the exact same options available to them so they can compete on the same terms.

Or that IE should stop being updated that way.

Well, no.. But IE doesn't have an update manager, it is updated through the Windows update process itself, alongside all the Windows components. One could argue that there is a distinction there, and that IE's competitors should have the exact same options available to them so they can compete on the same terms.

Or that IE should stop being updated that way.

Or maybe Opera want it generally opened so we don't need Google, Sun, Apple and whoever else creating their own update checkers that run 24/7 for no reason

I remember reading a thread on here where people said a global update checker would be good but when Opera hint at something it's suddenly the worst idea ever

I actually agree that there should have been an API tailored specifically towards updates that third-parties could use, but I'm just trying to point out what I believe is Opera's argument here.

I think it's good that someone is putting pressure on Microsoft and calling them out. You don't have to agree with them, but there's no reason why they should be shielded.