Windows 7 RTM Updates

As I said earlier in the post they have improved the speed of IE and WMP, and also some other programs. It looks like microsoft are working even harder to make sure this OS is perfect.

All the tinkering under the hood

I was wandering...How many people are using the 16399 update? I'm still using the 16385 (standard RTM) and installing stuff from WU, so should I put these updates on or not?

Yeh

Living in a box, you can install the updates. have been testing the updates for around 35 hours now.

All seems good and stable

It's Livin, not Living. ??

I've been hearing that these updates actually downgrade with Windows6.1-KB675605-v2 , is this true? I'll be installing the x86 versions.

It's Livin, not Living. ??

I've been hearing that these updates actually downgrade with Windows6.1-KB675605-v2 , is this true? I'll be installing the x86 versions.

Livin'

I will wait too for them to appear on Windows Update. I am hoping they appear soon.

You'll be waiting til October 22, 2009.

You'll be waiting til October 22, 2009.

Check your PM's...

Well, has anyone installed Windows6.1-KB675605-v2-x86, and does it downgrade to 16397 sub build, not 19399 like the others?

Yeah, well, skipped that 605 update. Both versions. As im pretty much sure, thers more to come. Other updates seem to be working fine though i dont see any changes.

Check your PM's...

Well, has anyone installed Windows6.1-KB675605-v2-x86, and does it downgrade to 16397 sub build, not 19399 like the others?

Check google if you want a link to the updates. Mods on here seem to have a serious problem with people giving links to "Microsoft" updates if they are not yet up on WU yet. Their loss I guess.

I found this information about these updates (Some files will change with version 7600.16385 to 7600.16400, 7600.16401)

Windows6.1-KB123334-x86.msu

Microsoft-Windows-IEInstal assembly that updates IEInstal.exe in %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ folder.

Windows6.1-KB123456-x86.msu

Microsoft-Windows-notepad revision distribution that updates Notepad.exe.

Windows6.1-KB674103-x86.msu

A update that upgrades Win32k, User32, TCP/IP binaries (tcpip.sys), SxS, NDIS (ndis.sys), GDI32 and common controls component.

Windows6.1-KB675605-v2-x86.msu (will change/downgrade version to 16397)

A GDR update that upgrade Windows 7 OS kernel, HAL (hardware abstraction layer, boot environment core BootManagerPCAT components. This update package is responsible for changing the BuildLabEx string.

Windows6.1-KB675605-x86.msu

A GDR update that upgrades Windows 7 OS Kernel, HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer), BootEnvironment Core BootManagerPCAT components. This update package is responsible for changing the BuildLabEx string.

Windows6.1-KB675606-x86.msu

Drivers Package

Windows6.1-KB972636-x86.msu

IE compatibility update with new version.

Windows6.1-KB973525-x86.msu

ActiveX Kilibits

Windows6.1-KB973751-x86.msu

Update to Windows 7 image based Setup media and Setup navigation Wizard framework.

Windows6.1-KB973874-x86.msu

Internet Explorer

Windows6.1-KB974039-v2-x86.msu

Update to Windows search engine.

Windows6.1-KB974138-x86.msu

Update to Windows GUI and font embedding component.

Windows6.1-KB974176-x86.msu

Core and WinPE

Windows6.1-KB974179-x86.msu

Update for Windows Explorer

Windows6.1-KB974204-v2-x86.msu

Localization

Windows6.1-KB974204-x86.msu

Localization

Windows6.1-KB974324-x86.msu

Windows Media Center

Windows6.1-KB974327-x86.msu

Core

Windows6.1-KB974332-x86.msu

Localization

Windows6.1-KB974638-x86.msu

Core

Check your PM's...

Yep, it downgraded the build number on my end. Oh well, it's just a number. ;)

KB123456 is definitely not a real update (for starters, just look at the KB number!), and somebody on another forum even went as far as examining the updated EXE and finding that aside from things like the version number and digital signature, it was bit-for-bit identical with the original (after all, what can possible break in Notepad that would require a hotfix?). This is probably just a test update, like the many test updates that Microsoft released during the Beta and RC to verify that updating mechanism is working as expected.

A number of the other updates (namely, the ones whose KB numbers are abnormally low) are probably test updates as well, and they also all carry the same build ID (16399 for GDR) as the Notepad update.

So as people have said before and as I am now reiterating, some of these updates are not real updates and are test updates, and people should not go about blindly installing every one of them! If you really must go installing them to satisfy an itch, at least avoid the ones that have an abnormal KB number.

As long as they are digitally signed with a valid certificate from Microsoft, they are legitimate. However, they may indeed be test updates as some have noted.

I will wait just to be safe.

KB123456 is definitely not a real update (for starters, just look at the KB number!), and somebody on another forum even went as far as examining the updated EXE and finding that aside from things like the version number and digital signature, it was bit-for-bit identical with the original (after all, what can possible break in Notepad that would require a hotfix?). This is probably just a test update, like the many test updates that Microsoft released during the Beta and RC to verify that updating mechanism is working as expected.

A number of the other updates (namely, the ones whose KB numbers are abnormally low) are probably test updates as well, and they also all carry the same build ID (16399 for GDR) as the Notepad update.

So as people have said before and as I am now reiterating, some of these updates are not real updates and are test updates, and people should not go about blindly installing every one of them! If you really must go installing them to satisfy an itch, at least avoid the ones that have an abnormal KB number.

Some of them have improved Windows desktop graphics responsiveness and WEI score by 0.1 in corresponding dept., so they are indeed real!

Notepad.exe is not the same. It has changed to .16399.

Finally the list of updates above is not new. Has been around for more than 3 weeks now.

Edited by salamanca

As long as they are digitally signed with a valid certificate from Microsoft, they are legitimate.

That is correct. They do come from Microsoft. So they are "legitimate" in that sense. To clarify, I was saying that they are not "legitimate" in the sense that they are not "real" updates.

Some of them have improved Windows desktop graphics responsiveness and WEI score by 0.1 in corresponding dept., so they are indeed real!

I didn't say that all of them are test updates. The ones with normal KB numbers may (or may not) turn out to be real updates. But some (KB123456 being the most blatant example) definitely are not real updates.

Notepad.exe is not the same. It has changed to .16399.

So all that matters to you is an inconsequential version number? Please re-read my post, namely the part that reads "aside from things like the version number and digital signature". Yes, the version number was changed, and the internal build timestamp was changed. But who cares about that? If you disassemble the executable code in the EXE and compare it, you will find that absolutely nothing has changed. Microsoft had publicly stated during the Beta and RC that this is what their test updates are: the exact same files, no changes, except for a new version number, to test the update functionality, not to deliver any actual changes.

That is correct. They do come from Microsoft. So they are "legitimate" in that sense. To clarify, I was saying that they are not "legitimate" in the sense that they are not "real" updates.

I didn't say that all of them are test updates. The ones with normal KB numbers may (or may not) turn out to be real updates. But some (KB123456 being the most blatant example) definitely are not real updates.

So all that matters to you is an inconsequential version number? Please re-read my post, namely the part that reads "aside from things like the version number and digital signature". Yes, the version number was changed, and the internal build timestamp was changed. But who cares about that? If you disassemble the executable code in the EXE and compare it, you will find that absolutely nothing has changed. Microsoft had publicly stated during the Beta and RC that this is what their test updates are: the exact same files, no changes, except for a new version number, to test the update functionality, not to deliver any actual changes.

Sorry the two versions/binaries of notepad are different, unlike official test updates that always had exactly the same files inside.

Sorry the two versions/binaries of notepad are different, unlike official test updates that always had exactly the same files inside.

No they're not different. Have you actually verified what you are saying? Because I have. After you made that claim that they are different, I decided to verify this myself. It's quite simple to do, actually. Disassemble the Notepad from the 16399 Notepad. Then disassemble the Notepad from the 16385 RTM. And now tell me where they differ. You can't? Well, that's because they are the same! Furthermore, if you do a binary diff of the two, you will notice that all the differences are in areas that are expected to be different (e.g., the link timestamp in the PE header, the version number, the digital signature, etc.)

No they're not different. Have you actually verified what you are saying? Because I have. After you made that claim that they are different, I decided to verify this myself. It's quite simple to do, actually. Disassemble the Notepad from the 16399 Notepad. Then disassemble the Notepad from the 16385 RTM. And now tell me where they differ. You can't? Well, that's because they are the same! Furthermore, if you do a binary diff of the two, you will notice that all the differences are in areas that are expected to be different (e.g., the link timestamp in the PE header, the version number, the digital signature, etc.)

They are different! Plus Notepad.exe is NOT digitally signed! LOL!

You're saying that test updates were released on the beta and RC, code.kliu. However, we are not on those anymore. These just change the version number, but that's no reason to not install them because nothing else has changed.

There's no point arguing over whether an update does anything or not.

the KB1xxxxx and KB6xxxxx are test updates!

the other ones are real and will be released later (ActiveX Kill Bit security update, IE8 comp. update)