PDF thumbnails not working in Windows 7 64bit

As title mentions, I can't seem to get Windows 7 to show my thumbnails for PDF files. It used to work fine with Vista 32bit (after simply installing acrobat reader) and Windows 7 can read my old thumbnails generated with Vista. However, when I download new PDFs and clear the thumbnail cache, all of them disappear and cannot be generated anymore.

Does anyone have a fix for this or is this only a problem in Windows 7? I have tried the registry fix I found to no avail (since it basically writes the same thing as whats in my registry already).

The extension that generates the thumbnails is 32bit only, so it'll only be initialised by 32bit explorer or an 32bit app browsing through the folder with an open/save dialog.

Edit: You'll see the same thing with anything 32bit that is involved in thumbnail generation, 64bit explorer won't generate thumbnails for video files that only have 32bit codecs installed.

Ah I see. That explains it all. I was wondering why some of my video thumbnails couldn't display too.

I guess it wasn't such a great idea to switch to 64bit. :( But then again having 6 gb of ram makes up for that. :laugh:

Yeah some of them are not so legal. Has anyone tried using the workaround mentioned on the microsoft page? I've got no idea what to do after I run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe /separate. All that comes out is a new window of "my documents".

Yeah some of them are not so legal. Has anyone tried using the workaround mentioned on the microsoft page? I've got no idea what to do after I run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe /separate. All that comes out is a new window of "my documents".

That command executes a 32-bit explorer session (SysWow64 contains the 32-bit versions of Windows applications that are running under Wow64 which is the name of the 32-bit compatibility components. Wow32 was the name of the old 16-bit compatibility components, but it's no longer included with Windows). So you would just navigate to the location where your documents are and your thumbnails should rebuild. This is the same workaround that The_Decryptor mentioned above.

Post Removed: For some reason Neowin don't like codecs packs... :huh:

Any software that forbids redistribution or limits 3rd-party availability is a no-no. They sue for that. :)

I see. I've tried navigating around but the thumbnails don't seem to be any different from the 64bit explorer so I thought that it wasn't running the 32bit explorer.

You could try hitting F5, otherwise I'm not sure what else can be done aside from waiting for Adobe to fix their product.

There is no incentive for them to make a compatible windows 7 64 bit app.

However, I think the release of Office 2010 x64 will be *plenty* of incentive (for Adobe, and anyone else that's been stalling).

First off, Microsoft Office is, like it or not, the planet's productivity suite of choice. (To date, 64-bit applications have fallen into two categories - utilities and niche applications. Office is neither one, as individual applications or as a suite.)

Second, it thoroughly waxes Office 2007 on the same hardware; the difference is, in fact, more marked for the 64-bit Office apps compared to the 32-bit versions. (It's not *even Word and Outlook*; it's more like *especially Word and Outlook*. Word and Outlook are supposed to be the two Office applications that would improve the LEAST in a move to 64-bit.)

One of Acrobat 8's biggest uses is as a PDF generator plug-in for Office. However, with Office 2010, that need officially Goes Away (because you can Save as PDF (or ODF, for that matter) from any Office application). How much will Adobe lose in revenues due to that?

Lastly, Office 2010 x64, especially given that it's usable, stable, and offers kick-butt performance despite the barely-beta state of the 64-bit code (I called it once 0.4-level code) teamed with Windows 7 x64, makes a VERY serious statement about the seriousness Microsoft is taking 64-bit software in general, and 64-bit applications in particular.

After scourng through the internet, I found a temporary solution for my problem. Since the 32bit explorer trick didn't work for me, I found out on the adobe forums that you can actually go to adobe reader, click file, open, and view all the pdfs you want thumbnails for. Its tedious but it works perfectly. However, new pdf files need to go through the same process.

Hope this helps anyone who wants thumbnails as well. :)

I guess it wasn't such a great idea to switch to 64bit. :( But then again having 6 gb of ram makes up for that. :laugh:

Don't conclude that just for some missing thumbnails from pdf files. There are many other very good and far more important reasons for switching to 64-bit. Now companies simply need to get on the bandwagon.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes... I've been using this...

Yeah pretty sure the procedure was outlined in detail here on neowin, or at least some other forum. Surprised it isn't more popularized. I think people just forgot...

what about using another pdf viewer like sumatra or pdfxchange? also i do agree that adobe are super slow in fixing anything and they should port things to x64 as more users are using it now than before.

To the OP, does your preview pane work?

Adobe Reader (x64) is now up to 9.3 (and no longer has thumbnail *issues* with Explorer; that particular issue was fixed with an update in an inline 9.1.x patch, which I remember because the issue self-resolved prior to 9.2).

It is because of improvements with 9.2 that I dropped Foxit Reader as default *and* as an alternative.

• 4 months later...

Adobe Reader (x64) is now up to 9.3 (and no longer has thumbnail *issues* with Explorer; that particular issue was fixed with an update in an inline 9.1.x patch, which I remember because the issue self-resolved prior to 9.2).

It is because of improvements with 9.2 that I dropped Foxit Reader as default *and* as an alternative.

Still doesn't work in 64 bit for me. v 9.3.4