PDF thumbnails not working in Windows 7 64bit

Why would there not be an incentive to support Windows 7 64-bit? Every person who buys a Windows 7 machine that isn't a netbook is pretty much getting 64-bit now. The only 32-bit Windows 7 users are netbook users or ignorant system builders who don't mind losing access to some of their physical RAM because of little things like this.

Still doesn't work in 64 bit for me. v 9.3.4

Yeah Adobe sucks. They don't fix anything ontime. I don't know if they fixed it but I used this and it works for me. Maybe they will fix it by 2012 ;)

Yeah Adobe sucks. They don't fix anything ontime. I don't know if they fixed it but I used this and it works for me. Maybe they will fix it by 2012 ;)

I tried that but it doesn't work for me for some reason :(

• 2 months later...

This was one of my gripes when moving to x64 (not Windows fault). I couldn't see thumbnails of video formats and some image ones like PDF or PSD since most of the official codecs didn't support x64.

So I had to install 3rd party x64 codecs to see them in Explorer. :/

As title mentions, I can't seem to get Windows 7 to show my thumbnails for PDF files. It used to work fine with Vista 32bit (after simply installing acrobat reader) and Windows 7 can read my old thumbnails generated with Vista. However, when I download new PDFs and clear the thumbnail cache, all of them disappear and cannot be generated anymore.

Does anyone have a fix for this or is this only a problem in Windows 7? I have tried the registry fix I found to no avail (since it basically writes the same thing as whats in my registry already).

OMG no PDF thumbnails! How can you go on living!

It's sad that small budget, third party coders can support 64-bit pretty easily, but big corporations who make official codecs completely forgot about the past 3-4 years of windows 64-bit presence. Is it really hard for Canon, Nikon, and Adobe to update a small codec to display thumbnails so that it can be installed on 64-bit windows, as well as 32-bit windows?

Eventually, they are going to HAVE to support 64-bit, since the only Windows machines sold today that don't come with 64-bit Windows 7 are small netbooks or extremely underpowered computers otherwise, neither of which are primely used for photographers or designers. Adobe apps would choke badly on low end hardware anyways. Those companies are alienating more and more of their userbase as time goes on by continuing to ignore anything past Windows XP. They can't just ask and demand that people with high end machines go and gimp their hardware by using 32-bit instead, just so they can view thumbnails in explorer.

That said, I use a third party codec to display CR2 (Canon RAW) thumbnails in explorer.

If you're not going to be helpful, you might as well go somewhere else.

Looking through that thing's post history, I can't really see any useful contributions...

I've gone through and verfied the manual settings on the Pretentious Name site, and I can't get my preview handlers to work with Adobe Reader X/Office 2010.

I don't know what is worse, the sad neglected state of Microsoft's XPS format, or Adobe's incompetence at making its own software function correctly.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...