Fedor Emelianenko fights undefeated Brett Rogers in Strikeforce debut

Fedor Emelianenko (30-1) will meet undefeated Brett Rogers (10-0) in his Strikeforce debut this fall, officials from the organization's broadcast partner, Showtime, today announced.

Strikeforce, though, has yet to announce a venue or date for the event (possibly to curb the UFC from counter-programming the show).

Emelianenko, widely regarded as the sport's top heavyweight fighter, signed a three-fight deal with Strikeforce earlier this month, and company founder and CEO Scott Coker recently said Rogers or Fabricio Werdum would likely be the Russian fighter's first opponent.

Emelianenko was featured at a public workout today in New York City. The Emelianenko vs. Rogers matchup was revealed during the media and fan event.

While no date has been set, Coker recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Emelianenko's debut date had been moved from October to November.

Emelianenko signed with Strikeforce after the UFC refused to co-promote his fights with M-1, an international organization co-owned by Emelianenko and his manager, Vadim Finkelchstein. The UFC and Emelianenko had negotiated previously, but the latest round of talks seemed the most promising, especially after his former home, Affliction Entertainment, canceled its Aug. 1 show, announced it was ceasing promotional operations and returning to the UFC as an official sponsor.

However, both UFC president Dana White and Finkelchstein acknowledged that the co-promoting demands tripped up the negotiations.

Emelianenko now enters Strikeforce with a 26-fight win streak (with 20 stoppages), including victories over former UFC champions Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia in his two most recent bouts. He had been slated to fight Josh Barnett at "Affliction: Trilogy," but Barnett was denied a license due to a failed drug test, and the Aug. 1 event was scrapped altogether a few days later.

Rogers, meanwhile, enters the contest with a perfect 10-0 record with 10 first-round stoppages. In fact, only one opponent (Abongo Humphrey) lasted more than a round with the Minnesota-based fighter. Most recently, Rogers, who had campaigned for Barnett's slot before the "Trilogy" event was ultimately canceled, scored a stunning 22-second knockout over former UFC champ Arlovski at a June Strikeforce event in St. Louis.

No other details were announced about the Emelianenko vs. Rogers matchup. While the fight is certain to headline the show, it's unknown if it'll be a standard three-rounder or if it'll be a five-round bout for an interim heavyweight title.

Source: MMA Junkie

Just saw his devestating KO of Andrei Arlovski. 10-0, should be interesting, however, Fedor will be the first real big name fighter he'll be facing (if you take into account that Arlovski has just not been the same since his last loss to Tim Sylvia - Barring some promising spells against Fedor, although he ultimately lost) I just think he isn't ready for the big time just yet. Having said that though, it is Fedor's first fight in a cage (I think!) and might make for interesting viewing.

We've not really had a chance to see how his chin fairs up as he's quite easily knocked out almost everyone he's faced and Fedor will definitely test out that chin.

Fedor for the win me thinks!

• 2 months later...

Emelianenko right crumples Rogers; Russian earns TKO win at "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers"

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. ? The key words going into Strikeforce and M-1 Global's "Fedor vs. Rogers" main event on Saturday were "puncher's chance."

Who knew those words referred to WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko?

Emelianenko (31-1) survived an early scare at from the previously undefeated, hard-hitting Brett Rogers (10-1) and delivered a devastating right hand in the second frame to keep the legend of "The Last Emperor" alive.

The win capped off the CBS-broadcast event, Strikeforce's first such effort, in Hoffman Estates, Ill.

Rogers opened the bout with a straight jab that immediately opened a gash on Emelianenko's nose and left the Sears Centre crowd wondering if the improbable wasn't impossible. When Rogers popped up quickly after being tossed to the canvas ? the one place everyone knew the Minnesotan couldn't go ? the possibility became even more plausible.

A second trip to the floor in the opening round saw Rogers in top position, and the five heavy ground-and-pound shots that followed appeared to do even more damage to his Russian foe.

But as the nine-plus-year has done countless times before, Emelianenko remained calm and turned the momentum back to his favor by gaining dominant position, then standing over his opponent in the closing seconds of the round before narrowly missing with a diving, right-hand bomb.

Then Emelianenko decided he was ready to strike.

Rogers opened the second with a bit less energy, a tad less bounce. Emelianenko didn't.

Rogers briefly pushed Emelianenko against the cage ? an unfamiliar position for the former PRIDE champion ? but there was no attack in the clinch. After restarting in the center of the cage, Emelianenko erupted with a devastating right hand, delivered somewhere in mid-air, that left Rogers in a heap on the canvas.

Emelianenko hesitated to follow, seemingly unsure if the shots were even necessary. Three additional punches were finally delivered, and the bout was called off at the 1:48 second mark.

Following the win, Emelianenko discussed his physical state with CBS broadcaster Gus Johnson in typical fashion.

"I felt myself really good," Emelianenko said through his interpreter. "Thanks for asking."

Emelianenko then said it was in his plans to see the second round all along.

"The main thing is not to be nervous, to take some time in the first round to learn a little bit about the opponent and then to look for an advantage," Emelianenko said.

That advantage came in the form of power, speed, and confidence.

Rogers admitted to Johnson that despite his best efforts, the aura of Emelianenko had indeed affected his mindset.

"I doubted myself a little bit," Rogers said. "I should have threw my hands a lot more. That's the only reason I failed today."

Rogers now becomes the next in a long list of fighters who wonder, "What if?"

"I hate it," Rogers said. "I'm coming back stronger. I'm so heated I can't even put it to words."

Both Emelianenko, who has won an astonishing 27-straight fights, and Rogers, who loses for the first time in 11 professional bouts, said they would be open to a rematch. But Emelianenko's plans may next call for a Strikeforce heavyweight title fight with current champion Alistair Overeem.

LOL. I was thinking that this maybe Fedor's end. Then *WHAMMM!*

:rofl: yeah I though this is it! and then nope its over another notch on cage post :p

It's sort of scary that while fighting, Fedor discovers the weakness in his opponent and just destroys him with it

Most people come in to a fight with a plan to exploit a persons weaknesses... Fedor shows up, sees it in the first round, takes the guy out in the second round... Jesus

Was amazing to watch.

Didn't like Brett Rogers post match talk (while they were in the cage)... he gave no props to Fedor, which I think is stupid. You just faced the best in the game.

I was scared Fedor was going to lose it in the first round when he was on the ground and Brett was on top of him throwing bombs at him, but after that, it was pretty much the Fedor show. I don't think the punch that broke Fedor's nose was really a big shot or anything to K.O. Fedor, but those bombs by Brett Rogers were scary for me to see lol. I thought maybe the ref would call the match or something

FEDOR!

just saw it...I really want Fedor to face someone like Carwin :(

That is if Carwin can survive the battle with Lesnar. Too bad that fight got pushed back.

Fedor is amazing in the fact that he was getting pushed around for quite a bit of the fight. Then...BAM...he throws a lightning fast, full-force punch. I don't think it should have been stopped so quickly, but, with his power, I don't think they'd take any chances with him possibly crushing someone's skull in.

It'd be nice if they could have Strikeforce tops take on the best from the UFC. But I don't think Dana White would be too fond of giving up some of his UFC profits.

That is if Carwin can survive the battle with Lesnar. Too bad that fight got pushed back.

Fedor is amazing in the fact that he was getting pushed around for quite a bit of the fight. Then...BAM...he throws a lightning fast, full-force punch. I don't think it should have been stopped so quickly, but, with his power, I don't think they'd take any chances with him possibly crushing someone's skull in.

It'd be nice if they could have Strikeforce tops take on the best from the UFC. But I don't think Dana White would be too fond of giving up some of his UFC profits.

yeah twice now but Brock has mono so I suppose they will have to wait

Yeah I think people are getting closer to defeating Fedor

I don't think people are any closer to defeating him as they were 10 years ago. He's been in plenty of danger before where he looks like he'll lose but then he just does some crazy/magic stuff and he wins. Admittedly though, Rogers did last 2 rounds with him and that's something nobody has done since 2006. The only real danger Fedor was in is when he was getting GnP and Fedor made his first mistake by attempting the kimura. Rogers did better than Tim Sylvia and Arlovski (both past UFC champions) so he deserves a lot of respect.

I could see Rogers coming back and making a hell of a fight of it. He seemed really ****ed. Like "how could I let this guy knock me out." He's a big animal and the competition has gotten a lot better over the last 5 years.

Roger's gave him a good run, the damage he inflicted early demonstrated his massive power, but he should've pressed instead of waiting back on Fedor. Fedor preys on an opponent until he sees an opening.

Nelson, my thoughts exactly regarding current champs of Strikeforce taking on current champs of UFC. I don't believe either owner would allow it to happen but I think the fans would love it. I personally think the UFC has a much larger arsenal of talent than Strikeforce, in fact I don't see anyone giving Fedor a run in Strikeforce. Not because he's that talented (which he is) but because there's no one to challenge him. Who's next, Werdum? Comeon now, he won't last a minute. Carwin or Lesner would be a great fight for Emilianenko. What angers me is the fact he said he signed with Strikeforce because of the talent they have. That's straight up bs and everyone knows it. Imagine Lesner, Machida, Silva, St. Pierre, and Penn vs. the best of Strikeforce... in my eye's it would be a decisive clean sweep for the UFC.

Imagine Lesner, Machida, Silva, St. Pierre, and Penn vs. the best of Strikeforce... in my eye's it would be a decisive clean sweep for the UFC.

So you think Lesnar (or Carwin) could take Fedor? I think Lesnar could. He has raw power that, I don't care who you are, would be difficult to overcome.

I do, he's got a ton of power, superior wrestling, and he's just altogether a massive fighter that is extremely difficult to get off you when on the ground. Look at the Heath Herring fight, he took it to the ground and brought the vicious knees to the sides of Herring, brutal. I just don't see Fedor being challenged at all in Strikeforce, that's just my opinion. MMA is MMA though, I'll watch any event that's on, regardless of association.

Yeah Fedor chose wrong but that's what he's done all the time he was never close imo to ever choosing UFC even when he was a free agent.

Yup, he would've been challenged more in UFC and I thought I read somewhere he was offered more money to come to the UFC as well. Oh well, he'll continue to dominate sub-par heavyweight contenders until his contract is up and decides to fight someone that will give him a legitimate challenge.

So you think Lesnar (or Carwin) could take Fedor? I think Lesnar could. He has raw power that, I don't care who you are, would be difficult to overcome.

I think lesnar makes too many mistakes for him to beat fedor. lesnar is strong but so is fedor. That's the thing about people who fight fedor, they usally undesrestimate his strength cause he's only a 5'10" guy who doesn't look intimidating. lesnar has no KO power and has yet to win by knock out. lesnar is strong but fedor has fought strong fighters too like rogers, randleman, coleman, mark hunt etc.

Yup, he would've been challenged more in UFC and I thought I read somewhere he was offered more money to come to the UFC as well. Oh well, he'll continue to dominate sub-par heavyweight contenders until his contract is up and decides to fight someone that will give him a legitimate challenge.

fedor's under m-1 gobal contract for 5 years and after his contract expires, he owns a portion of the shares that belong to m-1 global at which point he's also a free agent. i'm hoping he'll fight for the UFC at that point and go out with a bang

Nah the stoppage was fine. Rogers held his head and turned away from Fedor.

yeah twice now but Brock has mono so I suppose they will have to wait

Mono? What's that?

I could see Rogers coming back and making a hell of a fight of it. He seemed really ****ed. Like "how could I let this guy knock me out." He's a big animal and the competition has gotten a lot better over the last 5 years.

Ofcourse Rogers was ****ed, his undefeated streak is dead in the dust now.

Imagine Lesner, Machida, Silva, St. Pierre, and Penn vs. the best of Strikeforce... in my eye's it would be a decisive clean sweep for the UFC.

Come on. I give props to Lesnar but he's not the best heavyweight. Too many flaws in his fighting style.

Alistair Overeem or Fedor could take him.

Lesner has made a few mistakes but he's also made strides since his first bout in the UFC. There's no doubt that both can throw bombs but I just think if Lesner were to take Fedor to the ground and have top position, he'd end the fight shortly after. If they were just standing and throwing, I think Fedor has an edge, but if I'm in Lesner's corner I'm advising him to utilize his strong wrestling skills. I wouldn't say that Lesner has no knockout power, just because he hasn't officially knocked someone out yet in the UFC doesn't mean the power's not there. Give him another fight or two and I think you'll see a win by KO.

Thanks for the info on Fedor's contract, I had no idea what the details were regarding that.

Come on. I give props to Lesnar but he's not the best heavyweight. Too many flaws in his fighting style.

Alistair Overeem or Fedor could take him.

And yet another reason why it would be an amazing event in the eye's of the fans :). There are views from both sides. No mention of any of the other UFC champions taking on Strikeforce fighters? Do you agree the others wouldn't have much of a problem?

Yeah, the other champs are most likely too good. Machida, one of the best light heavyweights I have ever seen, even though I think he lost against Shogun. Silva regarded as best pound for pound, I don't think that there's any problem there. Same with GSP. Penn on the other hand, I don't like the cockiness of the guy and think (and hope) that there are fighters which can defeat him, some just maybe in Strikeforce.

This would be obvious though, UFC is leaps and bounds infront of Strikeforce. The ONLY thing going for them unfortunately is Fedor. Overeem needs more attention but the ****** has one fight every two years.

Lesner has made a few mistakes but he's also made strides since his first bout in the UFC. There's no doubt that both can throw bombs but I just think if Lesner were to take Fedor to the ground and have top position, he'd end the fight shortly after. If they were just standing and throwing, I think Fedor has an edge, but if I'm in Lesner's corner I'm advising him to utilize his strong wrestling skills. I wouldn't say that Lesner has no knockout power, just because he hasn't officially knocked someone out yet in the UFC doesn't mean the power's not there. Give him another fight or two and I think you'll see a win by KO.

Thanks for the info on Fedor's contract, I had no idea what the details were regarding that.

And yet another reason why it would be an amazing event in the eye's of the fans :). There are views from both sides. No mention of any of the other UFC champions taking on Strikeforce fighters? Do you agree the others wouldn't have much of a problem?

no problem. i think fedor's got 3 more years left on his contract which only means lesnar will get better and would make a better fight if fedor fights lesnar

Yeah, the other champs are most likely too good. Machida, one of the best light heavyweights I have ever seen, even though I think he lost against Shogun. Silva regarded as best pound for pound, I don't think that there's any problem there. Same with GSP. Penn on the other hand, I don't like the cockiness of the guy and think (and hope) that there are fighters which can defeat him, some just maybe in Strikeforce.

This would be obvious though, UFC is leaps and bounds infront of Strikeforce. The ONLY thing going for them unfortunately is Fedor. Overeem needs more attention but the ****** has one fight every two years.

My thoughts exactly, I personally don't like BJ lol. GSP and Machida are filthy, two of the best technical fighters I've seen. I also agree with the result of the Shogun fight, he really underperformed. Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later that we see a fight between Fedor and a UFC fighter. Gotta love MMA :).