[definitive] Best Android Apps

Your Twitter says you've a Hero. All HTC phones have terrible noise floors, FLAC's of no use here. Might as well go with high bitrate AACs.

I know it's pointless for the sake of audio quality, but I don't feel like converting all my music and wasting disc space with low quality duplicates.

Low quality... okay :rolleyes:

But anyway, any decent media management software that handles syncing USB media devices can do in-flight transcoding (i.e. the files that hit your phone). And since you appear to have audiophile tendencies, I suggest you find software that can encode to AAC, because its artifacts sound like noise, not like ringing with MP3s.

I am impressed by Lookout antivirus. Not only does it scan downloads (quick too) but it will locate your phone via the web portal and then if you want will set an alarm off so you can find it if it is ever lost or stolen.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been using TrueTrack Speedometer the last week or so in my old mustang. I compared the speeds to a Garmin navigation unit and they are very similar, nice little program for being reassured of your speed. Youd be surprised how far off new cars are too

No problems at all with JuicePlotter. I was having battery life issues at one point, however, after a factory reset, I've been monitoring the battery with JuicePlotter and getting 24 hours out of my Captivate pretty easily.

But maybe I could disable it and get 36 hours. :D

Just saw this new app, that backs up your messages to your GMail account. And now has the ability to restore as well. This wasn't previously available in the other apps that I was using.

Now SMS Backup+ has completely replaced SMS Backup (which only backs up to GMail account, can't restore) and SMS Backup & Restore (which only backs up locally onto your SD Card, but has the ability to restore your SMS).

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this new app, that backs up your messages to your GMail account. And now has the ability to restore as well. This wasn't previously available in the other apps that I was using.

Now SMS Backup+ has completely replaced SMS Backup (which only backs up to GMail account, can't restore) and SMS Backup & Restore (which only backs up locally onto your SD Card, but has the ability to restore your SMS).

Why does it sound like you're trying to sell something? Or sell that "APP"?

Only had my Galaxy S a week now so still learning but here are some I've found so far:

LauncherPro - Was previously using ADW with the sticker theme but prefer this now

SMSBackup+ - Like having my SMS backed up to Gmail

Alarm Clock Plus - Nice alarm clock with LOADS of settings including a 'maths sum' to dismiss the alarm as I have a habit of accidentally turning alarms off and falling asleep again :shiftyninja:

GDocs - Notepad that auto syncs with Google Docs

GTasks - Basic task manager that auto syncs with Google Tasks

Antivirus Free - Only used to my name & phone number on lock screen incase I leave the phone somewhere/lose it

tajm & battstatt widgets

Air Control - One of the few Android games I've found that I actually like to play :)

Ringdroid - Makes ringtones from MP3s

Next on the list of things to download and try is Better Cut, Tasker and Bar Control

Is there any sort of word processor for Android? Or is Gdocs the only thing?

There is an app called Office 2[sic?] Go, however, the free version only lets you read files. Editing will cost you a cool $30 as I remember it :(.

There is an app called Office 2[sic?] Go, however, the free version only lets you read files. Editing will cost you a cool $30 as I remember it :(.

That is most unfortunate. Not even a notepad type of app?

That is most unfortunate. Not even a notepad type of app?

There is TextEdit amongst others. TextEdit is the one I use.

Has anyone tried Norton's Mobile Internet Security?

You don't need an AV in Android. Apps are sandboxed which means the possible interaction between the AV and other apps will be fairly limited. The AV won't be able to add hooks deep into the OS, say like it would on Windows or Mac, which also limits its effectiveness.

You don't need an AV in Android. Apps are sandboxed which means the possible interaction between the AV and other apps will be fairly limited. The AV won't be able to add hooks deep into the OS, say like it would on Windows or Mac, which also limits its effectiveness.
I disagree. The BBC recently published an article where they developed a malicious app that stole all your personal information with you was "playing" a game. Malicious apps are on the rise and here to stay.

I disagree. The BBC recently published an article where they developed a malicious app that stole all your personal information with you was "playing" a game. Malicious apps are on the rise and here to stay.

The Android installer shows exactly what permissions the app will want. If you try to access a resource which needs a permission which hasn't been granted, your app will crash. Afaik, no one has found an exploit to bypass this. So if a game wants your list of contacts, your calendar, your location, your phone number, alarms bells should start ringing. You don't need an AV to tell you there is something potentially dodgy about this app.

The Android installer shows exactly what permissions the app will want. If you try to access a resource which needs a permission which hasn't been granted, your app will crash. Afaik, no one has found an exploit to bypass this. So if a game wants your list of contacts, your calendar, your location, your phone number, alarms bells should start ringing. You don't need an AV to tell you there is something potentially dodgy about this app.

Yes, I know that when you install an app it lists all the permissions that it requests. But your average user doesn't read that at all. And just whacks install. Google need to come up with a UAC idea like feature for android.