Latest PlayStation 3 Firmware Update Thread *V2*

System Software Update

The PlayStation?3 system software update may include security patches, new or revised settings and features and other items, which will change your current operating system. We encourage you to check this page from time to time for software updates and to always maintain your system to use the latest version of the system software.

The latest update is 3.41, and was released on July 28th, 2010. It is a forced update and PlayStation Network features are disabled if you do not update.

IF YOU USE THE OtherOS OPTION (typically used for Linux installations) THEN DO NOT UPDATE! THE 3.21/3.30/3.40/3.41 UPDATE DELETES THE OtherOS OPTION FROM ALL SYSTEMS!

Firmware 3.40 is REQUIRED to use PlayStation Plus

European download mirror for the 3.41 update

Version 3.41 European (region free)

North American download mirror for the 3.41 update

Version 3.41 North American (region free)

Japanese download mirror for the 3.41 update

Version 3.41 Japanese (region free)

Note:

* This system software update includes all features contained in previous versions (apart from OtherOS).

* The new system software will preserve any settings previously made to the PlayStation 3.

* Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.

* Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site. If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.

Main features in system software update version 3.41

* Recommended products are now displayed on the product detail pages of PlayStation Store

PS3Update341_InlineImage.JPG

The recommended products are selected based on various types of information, including your purchase history.

Note:

* The feature to display recommended products will become available by the end of July.

New or revised features in version 3.40

* PlayStation?Plus membership

PlayStationPlus_inlineimage.JPG

PlayStation Plus membership is now supported on PlayStation Network. Find out more at eu.playstation.com/playstationplus.

* PlayStation?Network Area of Photo Gallery

PhotoNetworkArea.jpg

[PlayStation?Network Area] has been added under [Photo Gallery]. You can now use Photo Gallery to browse photos from Facebook? or Picasa? Web Albums. You can also share photos from Photo Gallery with your Friends on PlayStation Network.

* Video Editor & Uploader

VideoUploader001_EN.JPG

Using the video editing and uploading feature, you can now edit video content that is saved on your PS3 system's hard disk and upload it to Facebook or YouTube?.

Facebook is a service that helps you connect and share with the people in your life. Facebook is a registered trademark of Facebook, Inc.

YouTube and Picasa are trademarks of Google Inc.

Other new or revised features in version 3.40

Settings

* [Deep Color Output (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].

* [Automatic Download] has been added as a feature under [system Settings]. This feature is exclusively for use by PlayStation Plus members.

* The default setting for [system Auto-Off] under [Power Save Settings] has been changed to [After 2 Hours].

Photo

* You can now print a photo in [Photo Gallery].

* You can now delete a photo in [Photo Gallery].

Friends

* You can now see the trophy level of a Friend by selecting the Friend?s avatar.

Other

* You can now use a five-star rating system to evaluate products that you purchase from PlayStation Store.

* The internal clock functionality that accounts for leap years has been improved.

How to install using the .PUP files you've downloaded from this thread:</b>

pc_update_clip_diagram_US.jpg

Get a memory stick and on it, make a folder called PS3. Inside that, make a folder called UPDATE (has to be in capitals). In the update folder, put that PS3UPDAT.PUP file in there.

Now, put that in your PS3, go to icn_settings.gif (Settings) and to System Update (the very first one).

You want to update via storage media, so select that and the rest will be guided through.

You can alternatively update via Internet, which is of course the most common and hassle free.

If there's anything you want me to add then just let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
By the way, PS3 firmware updates are universal, doesn't matter which download link you use :p

Really? I didn't know that. I just want to make sure though; I don't want anybody blaming me for bricking their console!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I put the NA version on a usb stick and tried to update my PS3 but it couldn't find the update on it..

Are you sure you are using the correct folder structure on your USB stick?

PS3>UPDATE>PS3UPDAT.PUP

Are you sure you are using the correct folder structure on your USB stick?

PS3>UPDATE>PS3UPDAT.PUP

I actually ended up just downloading it and updating (took about 20 minutes total). To answer your question though - No I haven't used that structure.. I will do that in the future.

• 3 months later...

I am not currently able to check my PS3 itself however, according to Sony's website

An update to the PS3? system software was released on December 10, 2009. System software version 3.15

They do not have information about a release Today, or yesterday.

Options -> System Options -> System Information -> System Version

Something along those lines.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated with 3.21 information and download links, but remember to not update if you use the OtherOS option. Just warning ya' as you might miss the warning on the OP...

* This system software update includes all features contained in previous versions.

I don't think that's the case anymore... Anyone else notice this? :laugh: