[Feedback needed] Atlas, the next version of Neowin

Hello,

The mockup looks very similar to Ars Technica and Slashdot to me; not a criticism, just an observation.

Have you thought about copying the page number and navigation controls below the list of articles to above them?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Looks NOTHING like either IMO...

EDIT: Comment removed, I see it's just a different version of a feature we already have.

Actually, it's nothing like anything we already have, what you can do with tags is so much more powerful than anything on the site at the moment.

I see.

Something interesting that I just dug up:

... perhaps it'll come before Ignition/Atlas is rolled out to the public. :p

Opera's slipping with standards support, 10 adds support for RGBA colours and Web Fonts, but their implementation of Web Fonts is broken to the point where it's pretty much unusable.

But hey, eventually they'll catch up to Gecko and WebKit :p

It looks good, members will complain about the two adverts on the bar under the Header - but as it's already been covered 100 times before it won't be bad.

If I am too be picky, the Previous/Next buttons on the Poll need some work and possibly the Refresh button as well as they just don't seem as "polished" as the rest of the site.

Plus the footer links text needs to be pushed up a little too, so it's in the middle. :p

Might have to get mail to stop designing NeoRequest until this version is released, when are you lot just going to keep one design and stop changing it? :laugh:

:p

Truth be told, we weren't expecting a redesign at all, and thought Finity was it for the long term. I could say to you that Atlas will be here for a long time, but really... we have no idea. At least a year in one form or another :p

Personally, I quiet like changing so often, it's nice to have something refreshing, and better still when there's new features :)

New features are a lot easier with Ignition ;) We could add most stuff with a few hours of work rather than days/weeks :)

Okay, just being critical here as that is what was asked, so here is my take.

I believe the text itself still needs some work. I think a lot of more info could be displayed on the page without making it to hard to read at all.

So for starters, I would drop the text size on all content based items (not menus, etc., they are all perfect and fine) all down 1 point or 1 pixel respectively. Actually for article content text, 1 pixel is about ideal, but for the Article the headers, I think they can possibly maybe even be dropped as much as 2-3 down in size (example: Updated: Snow Leopard...).

But also like the recent Forum posts, I think that can be dropped 1 as well and still be plenty legible.

Also with the article content text, I think the line spacing in between lines is a bit large as well and can be tightened up too. No more than 1 or 2 pixels as then it would be to much to take in, but doing this would definitely allow for more to be seen initially, meaning might be able to sneak another article header in there so more latest news can be seen.

I am viewing the mock up on a 1920 x 1080 20" monitor, and the text minus the menus all looks pretty big. I just feel the drop in text size will allow for just a bit more to be taken in at once rather than forcing the user to scroll down for some latest news they may have missed and really just push it to perfection and make it look even that much more professional.

Actually it would only probably wind up meaning one more news item header might be visible, but big text to me just screams Microsoft Word or PPT Presentations, and truth be told if someone does wind up feeling it is to small, they could always bump it up a bit on their end.

I am on my gaming comp right now and do not have any of my design apps on here, but a bit later on I will go on my laptop and take some screenshots and compare them to the screen Steve put up to show you exactly what I mean, if even needed.

Hope I am not being a pain in the ass, but I also do realize this should hopefully only be a matter of playing with the Master CSS file real quick and if it does not work just reverting back to it.

It looks like in the future, ignition will be the gold standard of layout and design of tech sites across the net.

Nah, Ignition is the backend, Atlas is the front end (layout designy stuff)

Preview now released to our paying Subscribers, interested to hear your feedback guys!

And YES NoAd Tier 2 subscribers won't have any ads on the main page! before you ask ;)

This theme is not yet active and won't be until at least October!

Edited by Neobond

I like it. It's a nice evolution of Finity.

The chat link leads to some form of web interface to IRC I'm guessing - over the past few weeks I've noticed several staff members coming onto IRC and having 'NeoIRC' in their quit message.

If anybody says 'But it's not wide enough for my widescreen monitor!' - please, don't listen to them. :p♠

I like it. It's a nice evolution of Finity.

The chat link leads to some form of web interface to IRC I'm guessing - over the past few weeks I've noticed several staff members coming onto IRC and having 'NeoIRC' in their quit message.

If anybody says 'But it's not wide enough for my widescreen monitor!' - please, don't listen to them. :p♠

Nope, that chat link will only be for the IRC control panel, albeit a re-done version of it :p I have one or two plans up my sleeve for IRC, but they will have to wait for Ignition to be done first.

Suggestions and comments.

post-145229-1252853454_thumb.png

Bad colour - agreed

Buttons - these are links to the main tag that the news has been placed in

The neowin logo next to neobond - this is an avatar so everyone's will be different

Chat = IRC chat

Red blue and green dot - this is for coloured themes to switch them

Bad font - agreed

If anybody says 'But it's not wide enough for my widescreen monitor!' - please, don't listen to them.

No! It's somewhat tiring to be called "wasteful" simply because we prefer to focus on a maximised browser on a big screen.

I like the current "choice" system that was put in place after a ton of users complained last time, I don't think it should be removed. :(