Apple TV pricedrop

Umm...since when is "perfect" integration with iTunes a good thing.

iTunes is a horrible abomination of an app.

Ok...thats your opinion and so the integration is no argument for you...But imagine all the milions of extensive iTunes users out there...

I think the millions of iTunes users and iPod owners would beg to differ with you.

I love iTunes. But the Apple TV is not my first, 2nd or even 10th choice for a media playback solution.

To echo the two people above me, that is just your opinion. I have everything in iTunes and it works perfectly fine for me, never crashes or hangs. Of course, I am using it on it's native platform so that opinion may be a little biased as was yours.

I'd disagree, I think they just don't care. Hollywood cranks out so much sub par content and so many people steal sub par rips from the Internet, I think quality is further from their mind than quality. I don't disagree the quality could be better, but I do disagree that people are as ignorant as you think, they just don't care. People see bigger and hear louder and they think that is the point of home theater, I don't see this changing any time soon.

I think the fact is that you will just swallow up anything that Apple throw at you, because it has their logo on it, but I can assure you that consumers do care about quality, not to mention you appear to be getting pirates mixed up with normal consumers.

In fact most of the time, people like you claim that Apple are the number one innovators in the tech sector, but in the case of Apple TV it really is a pointless device. When I could build a HTPC myself that has the same features as an Apple TV, plus more, for about the same price, it begs the question what the hell is so great about it.

I think the millions of iTunes users and iPod owners would beg to differ with you.

I love iTunes. But the Apple TV is not my first, 2nd or even 10th choice for a media playback solution.

I'd beg to differ again there, I feel a lot of people use iTunes (particularly Windows iPod owners) because there is nothing else. iTunes may be good on the mac, but it is absolutely terrible on Windows, and if there was a third party sync solution that worked properly with my iPod touch I would ditch iTunes without thinking twice about it.

i find the apple tv a useful device. I have a lot of media in itunes for sync with my phone and laptop and the apple tv is the ideal way to get this on my TV. It's simple to use and does exactly what it says on the tin. I think the problem people have with the apple tv is that they try and use it as DVR when it's not, people need to realise that it's an ipod for your TV.

It's really what suits people the most, it's not simply about the apple logo.

I used to use windows media centre and the early ones were pretty crap, i brought a HP media centre pc dedicated for DVR use, it was slow and god awful to use. I haven't used MCE since vista onwards so i don't really know the state of it (ive only briefly started it up a couple of times).

I'd beg to differ again there, I feel a lot of people use iTunes (particularly Windows iPod owners) because there is nothing else. iTunes may be good on the mac, but it is absolutely terrible on Windows, and if there was a third party sync solution that worked properly with my iPod touch I would ditch iTunes without thinking twice about it.

People download iTunes, continue to buy iPods, and billions of songs on the iTunes store. They can use Amazons store they can use plugins for WinAMP theres lots of alternatives. iTunes is popular because its good and geeks on this forum need to once again realise that they are no where near representative of the average consumer who uses iTunes.

And that includes me I'm a big geek!

Average consumers don't know any better, and that is a well known fact amongst the geek world, so I don't think the claim that they use iTunes because it is somehow superior really holds a whole lot of water. iTunes is popular for one reason, that is that it is needed to sync iPods, and I really don't agree that iTunes is good either, certainly not on Windows, in fact it seems to deteriorate more on Windows with every release.

I agree however that the store is reasonably well designed, but again they had the advantage of being first there, Amazon's service is still in its infancy at this moment in time, and being US only has limited its appeal a lot as well.

The Apple TV wouldn't be a bad buy if it had USB ports so that you could add an external HD like the WDTV but you are limited to the HD that comes with it which sucks because once it's full...you are done!

Plus the fact that Apple TV cannot read all the formats that WDTV can. That is another limitation.

Thats about the only impressive thing about it, Apple TV is bad but the WDTV is probably one of the worst devices on the market even the live refresh is pretty much what bargain basement streamers have come with for years.

The lack of any internal storage on the WDTV is a bit of a bummer, but its support for video content is pretty impressive

Why would you want to be limited to internal storage capacity when you can attach any size HD to the unit and have as much space as you want to store your movies? The WDTV offers you not 1, but 3 USB ports to attach 3 hard drives of any size to it. Apple TV doesn't have USB ports for external HDs.

Thats about the only impressive thing about it, Apple TV is bad but the WDTV is probably one of the worst devices on the market even the live refresh is pretty much what bargain basement streamers have come with for years.

Worst device? Come on...Get real friend. The WDTV can read just about every video format there is, including .ISO file format plus it has 3 USB ports so you can add 3 hard drives of any size you want and therefore store 20 times more movies than the Apple TV can store. Apple TV has no USB ports for external HDs and it cannot read all the formats the WDTV can and much less ISOs. I have a WDTV and I couldn't be happier with it. They just released a new firmware update to fix some small bugs and improve the player and it is awesome. It does what is supposed to do and more.

So pretty much what bargain basement streamers have come with for years then, They need to improve the build quality add 802.11N and remake the remote before they can compete with other streamers.

The Apple TV wouldn't be a bad buy if it had USB ports so that you could add an external HD like the WDTV but you are limited to the HD that comes with it which sucks because once it's full...you are done!

Plus the fact that Apple TV cannot read all the formats that WDTV can. That is another limitation.

It has one USB port (can't be used for additional storage without a 3rd party software... but if you care enough that's a possibility)

It has one USB port (can't be used for additional storage without a 3rd party software... but if you care enough that's a possibility)

The WDTV doesn't need 3rd party software!!!! ;)

The WDTV doesn't need 3rd party software!!!! ;)

and it looks like **** and the software probably doesn't look as good as the one on the AppleTV..... but in the end it doesn't really matter either way

Why would you want to be limited to internal storage capacity when you can attach any size HD to the unit and have as much space as you want to store your movies? The WDTV offers you not 1, but 3 USB ports to attach 3 hard drives of any size to it. Apple TV doesn't have USB ports for external HDs.

A mixture of the 2 would actually be better IMO, I think having no internal storage at all is very limiting, considering they could quiet easily put a 250 gig laptop sized hard disk into it with little weight and size penalty, fact is most external hard drives of any great capacity are large and if you wanted to carry the WDTV around with you you'd have to have an external hard disk with you. I don't agree with Apple's design either though, but then as is the case with the iPhone Apple have limited the storage expandability on purpose to try and coerce people into buying newer models. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the WDTV is a bad device, I just think having no internal storage is a bit limiting.

and it looks like **** and the software probably doesn't look as good as the one on the AppleTV..... but in the end it doesn't really matter either way

Yep, because we all sit there staring at the device when we want to use it to watch TV don't we. You appear to have been sucked into the Apple philosophy that putting a product into a fancy case somehow makes it superior to everyone elses.

Yep, because we all sit there staring at the device when we want to use it to watch TV don't we. You appear to have been sucked into the Apple philosophy that putting a product into a fancy case somehow makes it superior to everyone elses.

And we all know ugly products tend to sell really well. :p

Do you turn on the WDTV to stare at it or to actually watch the movies in it?

Please...

Who cares about fancy interfaces? The WDTV may not be as fancy and colorful as Apple TV but that little box can read almost every video format there is on this planet and can hold up to 3 USB hard drives of any size for less than half the price of the Apple TV, yet the Apple alternative can only play .MOV and MP4 files, is limited to the internal storage capacity (which sucks by the way) and you have the audacity to tell me that the Apple TV is better?

Please...

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest with you, with all the money I've spent with the stuff in my entertainment center I sure want it to look good

such as?

The WD player as stated already in this thread, and I challenge you to tell me how apple tv is better than that, and also the popcorn hour A-110