Little Confused Any help appreciated :S

Well today I started working at my new Job. Basically I was told that I will be managing their computers, maintaining them etc.. But when I got there today it was a bit different. The IT guy that was there before me had his own little set up which I cant understand. Well maybe its something pretty simple, but I dont understand it since im not that much into networking and setting up all of that stuff. Basically there are 6 computers in the offices. All of these computers are connected to this: http://soltesz.net/sr2016/3-22.jpg and there is another d-link thing on top of it. All of the computers in the office go to one main computer (the server). So basically when you save something you go into my computer , server a, users, and you find your user and save it there and it goes to the main box. How is this done and why is all of that equipment needed?

Thanks and I appreciate any help i can get.

- Daniel

Seriously?!? lol, the box you linked is a Switch the box on top is probably a router and or modem.

It sounds like users are just saving files on a network share that resides on the server.

I am guessing this is not a domain environment.

Sounds like this probably is not the ideal job for you.

Can I have your job?

You're in for a world of learning my friend. The computers a networked into a switch and from there I am guessing your server is running DHCP and DNS on the domain? You are leaving a bunch of details out of the picture, but my guess it the previous IT admin had a pretty simple network setup as this is how most networks are laid out.

Well today I started working at my new Job. Basically I was told that I will be managing their computers, maintaining them etc.. But when I got there today it was a bit different. The IT guy that was there before me had his own little set up which I cant understand. Well maybe its something pretty simple, but I dont understand it since im not that much into networking and setting up all of that stuff. Basically there are 6 computers in the offices. All of these computers are connected to this: http://soltesz.net/sr2016/3-22.jpg and there is another d-link thing on top of it. All of the computers in the office go to one main computer (the server). So basically when you save something you go into my computer , server a, users, and you find your user and save it there and it goes to the main box. How is this done and why is all of that equipment needed?

- Daniel

Not that much into networking? Bro, if you don't know what a switch is, or a router, you don't know what a network even is. If you're working for a company as managing computers (plural), basically you need to know networking; that's what most IT support and work involves.

Can I have your job?

You're in for a world of learning my friend. The computers a networked into a switch and from there I am guessing your server is running DHCP and DNS on the domain? You are leaving a bunch of details out of the picture, but my guess it the previous IT admin had a pretty simple network setup as this is how most networks are laid out.

Thanks for the help. I really dont know what he was running, but if I had to set this up i would of started learning from the bottom and set it up my self but you know when someone does everything and then when you go there you have no idea how its set up. What is the switch port used for? What details am I missing here? Basically I can fix most computer problems i can work with wireless routers etc... not the so advanced stuff. Thanks for all the help guys!

- Daniel :)

Thanks for the help. I really dont know what he was running, but if I had to set this up i would of started learning from the bottom and set it up my self but you know when someone does everything and then when you go there you have no idea how its set up. What is the switch port used for? What details am I missing here? Basically I can fix most computer problems i can work with wireless routers etc... not the so advanced stuff. Thanks for all the help guys!

Normally you have have the following setup in a small office like yours:

Internet -> Router/FW -> Switch -> Computers/Servers/Domains

The switch is used to connect all internal machines to a LAN network which then connects to the WAN or internet. This is just a basic overview. Hope this helps a little.

Sounds like someone was bending the truth a little on their CV. :p

As for a switch. The switch is just that, it helps computers transmit data from one computer to another. Usually most of today's routers have built-in switches, but you can get them independently like the one you have in your photo. The reason they do this is so that the router/modem etc can be disconnected without taking the whole network down. But the more likely reason will be down to the fact that it's rare/expensive to by a router with that many ports since most of them are either 1-4 ports. As someone else stated, the thing on top of it will likely be a router/modem linked into it's uplink port.

No this is not a joke. I have a friend that works at the company that is very close with the owner, so thats how I got in. That image that I showed i found it on google. Dont scream at me now I just asked for some help. When i go to the PC's IP address (the server) its asking me for a username and password. I know the default one is usually admin/admin but its not working and the other guy is fired so we cant ask him.. any idea on what to do?

Thanks for all the help

I'll put this nicely: If you're going to work at a job, you need to have the knowledge to do the job properly. Switches and routers are basic networking tools found everywhere. The fact you don't know about them does not bode well for your future at that job. This is not a case of "The IT guy that was there before me had his own little set up which I cant understand" or " when someone does everything and then when you go there you have no idea how its set up", it's a standard setup. There's nothing unique about it in any way.

Lol no its not a joke, the owner is my friend so thats how I got in :). No i just found that image on google :). Dont scream ay m

No this is not a joke. I have a friend that works at the company that is very close with the owner, so thats how I got in. That image that I showed i found it on google. Dont scream at me now I just asked for some help. When i go to the PC's IP address (the server) its asking me for a username and password. I know the default one is usually admin/admin but its not working and the other guy is fired so we cant ask him.. any idea on what to do?

Thanks for all the help

You can use a boot CD called Winternals to reload the password for the admin account, but I would highly suggest contacting the original IT admin and see if he can share the previous information with you. Also be cautious what information you share here as it would be bad if the wrong information were to fall into someones hands.

I'll put this nicely: If you're going to work at a job, you need to have the knowledge to do the job properly. Switches and routers are basic networking tools found everywhere. The fact you don't know about them does not bode well for your future at that job. This is not a case of "The IT guy that was there before me had his own little set up which I cant understand" or " when someone does everything and then when you go there you have no idea how its set up", it's a standard setup. There's nothing unique about it in any way.

For example my computer. If someone else sets it up its weird even though its the same setup everytime. But when you set it up from start to finish you know everything form passwords, to were the wires go, and were is everything connected.

- Dan

Yes I can see what you are saying, that you have to learn (Or start) somewhere but in a work based environment as the only admin is not good! If you have experience of Wifi then surely you have used wired networking? How do you set up a router that has Wifi off by default? I would suggest you get a router (WRT54GL, then you can go to DD WRT in future) and a switch (8port 100mbps switch) off ebay and 3 PC's or laptops and start messing with networking. Look at other topics on here. Don't use a network that needs to work like at this company to mess with.

As for the username and pass the 'Administrator' account should also have a password the owner knows! Otherwise a fired admin means total reinstall for server OS!

Yes I can see what you are saying, that you have to learn (Or start) somewhere but in a work based environment as the only admin is not good! If you have experience of Wifi then surely you have used wired networking? How do you set up a router that has Wifi off by default? I would suggest you get a router (WRT54GL, then you can go to DD WRT in future) and a switch (8port 100mbps switch) off ebay and 3 PC's or laptops and start messing with networking. Look at other topics on here. Don't use a network that needs to work like at this company to mess with.

As for the username and pass the 'Administrator' account should also have a password the owner knows! Otherwise a fired admin means total reinstall for server OS!

Thanks for the help. I will not be messing with anything everything is already set up, but i just want to know how it works and how he has it set up. It might not be hard but i want to learn it. Thanks again!

Give the guy a break. He never said he was a network guru. the way I understand it is that someone asked him to maintain the computers. Probably something like this:

" You good with computers?' "pretty much"

"You ever network computers?" I've done some at home and for a few friends"

"You want the job?" "sure"

Hang in there. Go somewhere where your questions will be answered without the venom

Thats how it was. I can fix many computer problems and could connect basic stuff, but not this advanced. It might not be advanced to someone else, but it is to me.

The default password for a server is not admin/admin, that may be the default login for a residential router, but not a server. If the old IT employee that got fired had no documentation, then you're in a bit of trouble. Forget about the awkwardness of calling the old IT guy as the new IT guy, it has to be done. This will save you much more time than going through a whole reset process. As many have mentioned above, you've basically come into a very simple, small office, network. You don't need to do much. Call the old IT guy, get the admin user/pw for the server and manipulate Active Directory from there. Once you've logged in as the administrator, it doesn't matter if someone forgets their password, you can reset it from the server. Also, don't be like the guy who got fired, obviously it was for a reason (poor documentation should be one of them ;)). Put together a nice set of documentation with the client/user PC's IP address (make note of the gateway and DNS), and also the spec's of each computer so you can have a better understanding of why a user's computer might be acting a certain way (i.e. could check your list and see that clientA only has 512MB of RAM and the issue they're describing sounds like it relates to memory, helps narrow problems down faster sometimes). Good luck and definitely enroll yourself in some sort of course while you're working there, you're lucky this is a small, non-complex, network. There are multiple courses, whether it be a Network+ or CCNA course, take something or you won't last, simple as that. Good luck.

Wow, Just Wow. :huh: So did you manage to answer your questions? I hope that you know what your doing and that the company doesnt store any vital data anywhere on the "network" otherwise you could get yourself into a right mess.

The default password for a server is not admin/admin, that may be the default login for a residential router, but not a server. If the old IT employee that got fired had no documentation, then you're in a bit of trouble. Forget about the awkwardness of calling the old IT guy as the new IT guy, it has to be done. This will save you much more time than going through a whole reset process. As many have mentioned above, you've basically come into a very simple, small office, network. You don't need to do much. Call the old IT guy, get the admin user/pw for the server and manipulate Active Directory from there. Once you've logged in as the administrator, it doesn't matter if someone forgets their password, you can reset it from the server. Also, don't be like the guy who got fired, obviously it was for a reason (poor documentation should be one of them ;)). Put together a nice set of documentation with the client/user PC's IP address (make note of the gateway and DNS), and also the spec's of each computer so you can have a better understanding of why a user's computer might be acting a certain way (i.e. could check your list and see that clientA only has 512MB of RAM and the issue they're describing sounds like it relates to memory, helps narrow problems down faster sometimes). Good luck and definitely enroll yourself in some sort of course while you're working there, you're lucky this is a small, non-complex, network. There are multiple courses, whether it be a Network+ or CCNA course, take something or you won't last, simple as that. Good luck.

Well its not a server its a normal computer. I meant the password for the routers. Thanks for your reply it really helped me a lot.

Ok, so you run a Workgroup environment then? If that's the case it'll be a little bit more annoying to manage but hey, it's a small manageable environment. I still say you call the old IT guy and get the login for the router. If you were accurate in what you first gave us in terms of hardware, the D-Link is your router. Check online to see what D-Link's default login is for it's routers (i.e. Linksys is typically blank username and "admin" for password). However, if the last IT guy was any good at his job, he would've changed this from the default. Give him/her a call, enough said, then report back. If you can't get a hold of him or he refuses for some stupid reason, we can reset it but we (as outsiders) have no idea how it's configured and you may need the current settings. Also, read BudMan's links, it'll help. Bud is very good at providing advice when it comes to IT-related issues but you need to have a solid foundation for him to help. Good luck.

- Daniel

Seriously?!? lol, the box you linked is a Switch the box on top is probably a router and or modem.

It sounds like users are just saving files on a network share that resides on the server.

I am guessing this is not a domain environment.

Sounds like this probably is not the ideal job for you.

Agreed. Are you not working in a domain envrionment? You know what a domain environment is right? The drives should be mapped out for your users - far more secure that way, that way they can't touch things they shouldn't.

Where'd you learn to network again?

Not that much into networking? Bro, if you don't know what a switch is, or a router, you don't know what a network even is. If you're working for a company as managing computers (plural), basically you need to know networking; that's what most IT support and work involves.

Yeah, it's a bit scary that you don't know what a switch and a router is..

As for after all your comments, I'd say that your network needs an overhaul and you really should set up a domain in your environment rather than a workgroup. Much easier to manage...and more secure

"Go somewhere where your questions will be answered without the venom "

Venom -- yeah ok :rolleyes:, maybe he should post his exact post over at /.

They always have lots of great advice for the new IT guy ;)

Network+ or CCNA? Sounds more like he should start here

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/basicne..._Networking.htm

Networking Basics - Key Concepts in Computer Networking

Just for fun -- here take this practice Network+ practice test.

http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comp.../exam.php?xid=1

If you don't even understand say 1/4 of the questions then your in trouble..

Thank you for the links. I will be going through all of that and reading it and then try to take the test.

Ok, so you run a Workgroup environment then? If that's the case it'll be a little bit more annoying to manage but hey, it's a small manageable environment. I still say you call the old IT guy and get the login for the router. If you were accurate in what you first gave us in terms of hardware, the D-Link is your router. Check online to see what D-Link's default login is for it's routers (i.e. Linksys is typically blank username and "admin" for password). However, if the last IT guy was any good at his job, he would've changed this from the default. Give him/her a call, enough said, then report back. If you can't get a hold of him or he refuses for some stupid reason, we can reset it but we (as outsiders) have no idea how it's configured and you may need the current settings. Also, read BudMan's links, it'll help. Bud is very good at providing advice when it comes to IT-related issues but you need to have a solid foundation for him to help. Good luck.

The old guy was fired for a couple of reasons which are bad, so I dont think I can get any kind of information from him..

Agreed. Are you not working in a domain envrionment? You know what a domain environment is right? The drives should be mapped out for your users - far more secure that way, that way they can't touch things they shouldn't.

Where'd you learn to network again?

Yeah, it's a bit scary that you don't know what a switch and a router is..

As for after all your comments, I'd say that your network needs an overhaul and you really should set up a domain in your environment rather than a workgroup. Much easier to manage...and more secure

I dont know how its set up, but as said above you go into My Computer, Server A, User Folders, and you can see ALL of the folders there from every employee. I dont think thats a problem because they want to see each others files, i just want to learn how this is set up and continue on my own.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Yeah its pretty bad -- which is why I stated if you don't even understand the questions your pretty much in trouble ;)

You understand what linux is and the difference between 16, 32 and 64 bit, etc.. So that question is funny to you -- but to quite a few people that might as well be greek, etc.

Yeah its pretty bad -- which is why I stated if you don't even understand the questions your pretty much in trouble ;)

You understand what linux is and the difference between 16, 32 and 64 bit, etc.. So that question is funny to you -- but to quite a few people that might as well be greek, etc.

But whats the right answer to that question?

There are both 32bit and 64 bit versions of Linux

You may want to look into taking some classes at a local community college.

You could go for an associates in Networking Technology if you wanted to go that route. Or at the very least take the four CCNA classes. The first class is networking basics and the second is basic routing, third is switching, and fourth is advanced routing.

Well worth it!