"the NEW efficiency" Windows 7 Launch events

**EDIT**

Some information for those who have yet to attend:

- Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit is given out at these events.

-- Ask someone with TechNet or MSDN access to download a legit/verified Win7 Ultimate 64bit ISO

-- Your 32bit key will work on a 64bit installation

- You only need to attend one of the two sessions to get a license (Developer or IT Professional)

the "NEW" efficiency - Windows 7 Launch Events

The Minneapolis event is tomorrow (9/24), I'll be attending with some people from work. I'm curious who else is going to an event or even the Minneapolis one.

I'm also wondering which version of Win7 they will be giving away. Originally the event had a Win7 Pro box on the site and all original press releases mentioned Win7 Pro. Now the site is showing a Win7 Ultimate box.

Original

post-61446-1253729993.jpg

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/16/f...-launch-events/

Current

post-61446-1253720795.jpg

http://www.microsoft.com/business/thenewefficiency/

I preloaded Win7 Pro and planned to get a key from the event to activate it, I might have a reimage in my future! :laugh: Free is free and I'm not complaining, just not sure there is anything in Ultimate I'll really need.

Edited by zeke009

I preloaded Win7 Pro and planned to get a key from the event to activate it, I might have a reimage in my future! :laugh: Free is free and I'm not complaining, just not sure there is anything in Ultimate I'll really need.

When I got the key from technet I actually went for the Pro version over the Ultimate... I didn't see anything the Ultimate can do that i cared about

When I got the key from technet I actually went for the Pro version over the Ultimate... I didn't see anything the Ultimate can do that i cared about

Booting from .vhd is quite nice, actually.

I'll be at the Denver event tomorrow. I'll be the one girl there :p j/k..sort of

And now that you said it, expect about 45 PM's and your female to mate ratio skyrocket to 1000:1 :p

So I just got back from the Efficiency event. They were giving out Ultimate editions. However, the DVD says "32-bit software" on it. Can I get a 64-bit DVD and use the product key that came with this one? I had read that retail versions will come with both 32 and 64 and you could use the one product key on either.

So I just got back from the Efficiency event. They were giving out Ultimate editions. However, the DVD says "32-bit software" on it. Can I get a 64-bit DVD and use the product key that came with this one? I had read that retail versions will come with both 32 and 64 and you could use the one product key on either.

Should work just fine. Windows 7 (or Vista for that matter) does not differentiate between 32-bit and 64-bit with the keys. The kits that are being shipped to the HouseParty launch party hosts have both discs included, and presumably only one key.

ironman, it should work the same as vista did. media did not matter, the key is what matters.

i've asked a guy at work to get the 64bit image for me already. somw of the material is pretty good at the event, some presenters are kind of dry though. ;)

ironman, it should work the same as vista did. media did not matter, the key is what matters.

i've asked a guy at work to get the 64bit image for me already. somw of the material is pretty good at the event, some presenters are kind of dry though. ;)

I went to 3 breakout sessions. 2 presenters were great and 1 was a little dry (and his demo didn't work) but overall the information was solid. I'm downloading the 64 bit version at home from MSDN so I can burn it when I get there and get it installed. :D Yay!

I hesitated on loading Win7 Pro over Labor Day weekend for this very reason, but I don't mind. I'll just make an image and install Ultimate.

I was really surprised to hear that the HAL is gone and you can take a Windows 7 install and move the hdd to another machine and it'll load the drivers! That's probably old news which I completely missed.

Edited by zeke009

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and used the key they gave me. I love the feeling of a fresh install! :happy:

I'm in the same boat that you were Ironman. I attended the event today and got a 32 bit version.

I don't have a MSDN subscription. Any way I can get a 64 bit version of Win 7 to use?

I'm in the same boat that you were Ironman. I attended the event today and got a 32 bit version.

I don't have a MSDN subscription. Any way I can get a 64 bit version of Win 7 to use?

There's a standing debate whether it's pirating to download an ISO if you have a legitimate key to use with it. I'm of the opinion that you pay for the key. The key is what governs that the install is on your machine. I would suggest looking in torrents fpr the ISO and use the legal key you got from them. If an admin feels this is crossing the line please feel free to let me know and/or change my post.

Will there be a legitimate place to order an extra 64-bit media? Or any chance they figure it out and hand out both sets of discs by the event on Monday?

And it is a retail-equivalent copy, where I can transfer it to a new PC, right? I don't know how long I'll be on am AM2+ setup...

Edited by Hak Foo