Young Children Help Mom Deliver Baby in Bathtub

MINNEAPOLIS, MN -- It's about as natural an image you could imagine: a mother holding her newborn baby, surrounded by her other children and husband. And for Amanda Dammann and her family -- "natural" only begins to describe the unusual arrival of little Abrina.

At about seven Thursday morning, Amanda realized she was likely going into full-on labor. She tried calling her husband, but Wain Dammann was at work and without a cell phone signal.

Thinking she had more time, Amanda went to Plan B. She decided to take a bath to ease the pain.

"I just figured the contractions really hurt, and I needed something to ease it and I figured a nice warm bath was going to take care of it," she said.

What the warm water couldn't do, Amanda's two daughters -- Alora, 4, and Aria, 2 -- tried. "They had cups so they would take the water from the faucet and pour it on my belly," she said.

"I think they kind of distracted me just enough."

But no amount of distraction or comfort could keep Abrina from making her grand entrance. The 7 lb., 9 oz. baby arrived at about 9:15 a.m.

"She came out in the water. It was an underwater birth," she said.

Right away, her sisters jumped into action. "We just found the nasal aspirator the day before, so it was clean. So the girls knew right where it was, and when the baby came out, I said, 'can you go get that suction thing for mommy?'" she said.

Amanda's sister soon arrived, followed shortly after by paramedics. They assisted the mother and child to Unity Hospital in Fridley. Both remain in excellent condition.

But although the natural delivery worked well for this family, doctors don't recommend it.

"If there's any question at all, talk to the labor delivery nurse or the doctor on call so we can get them here when they need to be here," said Dr. Nick Hamel, Medical Director of Women's and Children's Services at Unity Hospital.

Hamel went on to say "a lot of things can go wrong" including heavy bleeding and other risks that come with home delivery.

Coincidentally, Amanda's was the third home delivery in the last week for patients at Unity Hospital. Officials say they usually see one to two per year. They say the trend is pure coincidence.

Source and Video

Hamel went on to say "a lot of things can go wrong" including heavy bleeding and other risks that come with home delivery.

Rubbish. If you give born properly...these won't happen at all. We gave birth without problems before hospitals existed we can do same nowadays. Only a small fraction of that had problems but that even happens in animals as well.

They need to educate on how to give birth PROPERLY, not have other people (nurses, etc) do it for you.

Rubbish. If you give born properly...these won't happen at all. We gave birth without problems before hospitals existed we can do same nowadays. Only a small fraction of that had problems but that even happens in animals as well.

They need to educate on how to give birth PROPERLY, not have other people (nurses, etc) do it for you.

So question, what would have happened to me when 24 hours into labor my baby couldn't be born because my cervix wouldn't dilate? Home births can be a great thing but not everyone can or should do it. I was forced to have a c-section and it's a good thing else I wouldn't be here today and neither would my boy.

Home birth's can be a great thing but they are something that should be prepared for (ie..midwife). Years & Years ago there we're a lot more deaths during birth, including both mother & infant. I say the doctor is right and you should always try to be as prepared as possible, giving birth without assistance can be(not always but the chance is there) dangerous to both mother & child.

Edited by Mrs_Angel_D

Think before you post dude :)

Yeah, a nice story for a change.

And for the guy who said "pics or it didn't happen" ugh man, ugh.

wow you douche. get slapped for that.

congratulations and wow, brave little girls. props.

Both your senses of humors need recalibrating.