Recommend a DSLR for beginner

Hi!

I want to pick a DSLR. I'm a beginner/amateur and my budget is limited to 450-500$ max or 300-350 Euros. Are cameras cheaper in Europe by any chance ?

Please recommend. I'm fond of photography and I want to upgrade from my Sony Digital Cybershot to something better.

Thanks

From what I know cameras are the cheapest in the US. When you say cheaper in Europe are you saying in relation to India? Do you have any brand preference?

I suppose your price range is for the Body + a Kit Lens.

Good candidates in you price range include (in alphabetical order):

Canon Rebel XS (1000D)

Canon Rebel XTi (400D)

Nikon D40

Nikon D60

Olympus E420

Pentax K2000

Sony Alpha A200

It would depend on how much you find them for. There are newer/better models but they'll cost more.

I have the A200 and I find it's a great camera. I would definitely recommend it and IMO handles extremely well (not feeling much like an entry-level DSLR).

Edit: Some info

http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/sh...?i=3434&p=1

http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Cameras/So...200-Camera-Test

http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Cameras/Ca...-Test-Nikon-D60

http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Cameras/Ha...-Rebel-XS-1000D

Edited by Argote

I don't mind Camera + Lens kit.

Thanks, let me go through them and no i don't have a brand preference as such but I have heard Nikon makes good DSLR's

Nikon D5000

$450 to $500 huh? If you can honestly find them at that price with a lens send me 5 plz, I'm gonna make a fortune reselling them.

I've got an A200, and having used a LOT of cameras before this one, it is clear that the Sony A200 is by far the easiest to use while not lacking features. It's menu system works like your random cellphone instead of the strange button combinations I've never managed to figure out on Nikon's and Canon's. For starters, it's really one of the best cameras. (and people with the 'not many lenses' argument should really have a look at some online stores)

Another vote for the A200. I chose it over the more expensive Nikon D60 (Canons in the same price range such as the XT felt uber cheap bodywise) since it does everything the nikon can do, feels just as good in the hand, and most important, in body stablization so I can use older minolta A-mount glass and have stablization. Also it can use the ones from Sigma/Tamron made for the alpha that have in-lens stablization and the sony ones with SSM/SAM. Problem with the cheaper Nikons like D40/60 (90?) is you can only use VR lenses for stablization, non-vr lenses will work but not stablized. But try them out in a store and buy what feels best your hands and eyes. Nikon, Canon, Sony, all make good budget cameras that will take great shots.

^ Already checked Dpreview and A200 seems pretty good but it seems like A200 has been replaced by A230

I dont want to thread hijack -- but I kinda have the same question...kinda

My father asked me to check out a good Hi-Def camera, I guess SLR and DSLR are good types ?

He wants one with a "PHD" - "Push Here Dummy" - and cost doesnt matter.

Again, I apologize for the hijack, but this thread just reminded me I needed to look for the best "foolproof" camera on the market, a "does everything with one click" kinda thing - thnx

Nikon and Canon are the two big companies for DSLR's, though there are others that make good cameras. I'd suggest going to a store to hold one first and see which one feels better in your hands. That's usually more important than going with simply a brand name. The Nikon D40 is a good camera, though the D3000 is it's replacement I believe.

Yeah but D3000 [ Camera + Lens kit ] will cost me 600$. I don't want to spend that much if its marginally better than A-200 or A-230 to be honest

In my opinion, a Canon or Nikon give you more options in the future, though Sony is starting to catch up. That's really the only reason I'd recommend going with either Nikon or Canon.

Yeah but D3000 [ Camera + Lens kit ] will cost me 600$. I don't want to spend that much if its marginally better than A-200 or A-230 to be honest

Then a D40 or D60.

And pay attention to what lawtai just said; canon and nikon have a million more options than the other companies. There's a reason their gear is more. However, if you don't think you'll ever go beyond body + kit lens, then it won't matter.

^ Already checked Dpreview and A200 seems pretty good but it seems like A200 has been replaced by A230

Yes, the A230 is out now, however many people rate it lower than the A200, it's smaller and doesn't handle as well while all major features are the same. The interface has an option to enable a simpler more graphical one but I still think the A200 is a better choice (you'll probably find it for cheaper too)

I dont want to thread hijack -- but I kinda have the same question...kinda

My father asked me to check out a good Hi-Def camera, I guess SLR and DSLR are good types ?

He wants one with a "PHD" - "Push Here Dummy" - and cost doesnt matter.

Again, I apologize for the hijack, but this thread just reminded me I needed to look for the best "foolproof" camera on the market, a "does everything with one click" kinda thing - thnx

Hey Tex4s, please make a new thread as you don't have a budget limit, there we will be able to recommend you the newest/best gear without confusing the OP with stuff he cannot afford. I'll reply on it ASAP.

Then a D40 or D60.

And pay attention to what lawtai just said; canon and nikon have a million more options than the other companies. There's a reason their gear is more. However, if you don't think you'll ever go beyond body + kit lens, then it won't matter.

It is true that Nikon and Canon have more lenses, however that is the only element I can think of right now that is exclusive to one brand and Sony seems to have all of the most popular lens types (except for the ultra high end f1.2) http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp. The second hand market, however, is MUCH better with Nikon/Canon. Also, Sony uses the Minolta external flash hotshoe, so if you're planning to get an external flash you'll need an adapter (or the one with this hotshoe, but they are popular and priced the same). The D60 might be worth looking into.

Also of note, the A200 comes with a 18-70mm kit lens whereas the Canons, Nikons and the Sony A230 come with a 18-55mm.

Kit lenses in general aren't the best lens out there but they give you much better pictures than a P&S and are usually kept around as a general use lens even by people who have bought more lenses.

Trust me, there's a LOT of difference between the cameras. The Nikon guide mode is fantastic and well worth the bit extra cost for a beginner IMHO. Not to mention the hundreds more lenses you can use with it

Trust me, there's a LOT of difference between the cameras. The Nikon guide mode is fantastic and well worth the bit extra cost for a beginner IMHO. Not to mention the hundreds more lenses you can use with it

The D3000 has 11 AF points while the A200-230 have 9 (this fixes one of the major drwabacks of the D40/D60 which only have 3 points) as well as a larger screen (3" vs 2.7") and faster burst rate.

The guide mode also looks pretty sweet assuming it tells you how it did it after taking the photo, otherwise you'd hardly learn.

The A200-230 however, has in-body stabilization, a slightly larger viewfinder (.83x vs .80x).

AFAIK the D3000 uses the same sensor as the D60, which is, in turn, the same sensor as the A200-230

Yes, the D3000 is slightly better than the A200-230, you have to decide if it's worth the price. The D5000 is another story, it's the best Entry-Level DSLR on the market (IQ-Wise) thanks to it's superior sensor, that is worth the extra money, imho the d3000 is not.

Thanks guys! Gonna check out D3000 too and go through the reviews as well. I have read the same thing that A200 > A230

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread.

I have decided to ditch Sony since everyone around me has suggested to go with Nikon or Canon.

I have selected Two Canon models :

1) Canon EOS 1000D

2) Canon EOS 450D [ A friend is selling his cam with the default lens kit and UV filter since he upgraded his cam and this one will be one year old in March ]

It seems Nikon D3000 is within my budget too.