How do I playback .MKV in Windows 7/Windows Media Player 12?

Hey

I was wondering how do I playback the MKV container format on Windows 7/Windows Media Player 12? The only solution Ive seen so far is installing CCCP but I dont want to as everything (except this) works perfectly in Windows 7/Windows Media Player 12.

Also Explorer thumbnails would be nice :)

Windows 7 Codecs is all i've ever needed in Windows 7 to play anything. You could also probably download FFDSHOW and use that :)

The nice thing about Windows 7 Codecs is that it doesn't mess with the already working codecs at all....

Windows 7 Codecs is all i've ever needed in Windows 7 to play anything. You could also probably download FFDSHOW and use that :)

The nice thing about Windows 7 Codecs is that it doesn't mess with the already working codecs at all....

Your link is messed up :wacko:

You dont need any codec on Windows 7. Everything/anything (97%) plays out of the box. If you install a codec pack, you are asking for trouble. I havent needed ANY support in the codec area minus Realmedia files (that was a given) and MKV files. Everything else has played back perfectly.

DivX Tech Preview: MKV on Windows 7

http://labs.divx.com/mkvwin7preview

I perfer not to install anything from DivX.

Your link is messed up :wacko:

You dont need any codec on Windows 7. Everything/anything (97%) plays out of the box. If you install a codec pack, you are asking for trouble. I havent needed ANY support in the codec area minus Realmedia files (that was a given) and MKV files. Everything else has played back perfectly.

I perfer not to install anything from DivX.

What about like maybe going to.... mkv's official site and hitting "downloads" link?

http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html

CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack)

Comment:

Almost all you need to play .mkv (matroska video) and .mka (matroska audio) files under DirectShow players, such as Windows Mediaplayer, MPC, Zoomplayer and TCMP

I agree with them. CCCP supports most of video formats AND doen't mess your system like other codec packs (https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=announce&f=12&id=11, etc).

Edited by RealFduch

CCCP pack is basically Haali Splitter and a special build of ffdshow. Most .mkv files either contain .H264, .x264, or .xvid. The only codecs I have added to Windows7 is Haali, flac, and Monkey's Audio (.ape). I use mplayer for anything that won't play in WMP. I have found it to be much better than VLC or even KMPlayer.

What about like maybe going to.... mkv's official site and hitting "downloads" link?

http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html

2006 is the last time it was updated? Look at the home page Quazzi posted.

Research before you post please

I agree with them. CCCP supports most of video formats AND doen't mess your system like other codec packs (https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=announce&f=12&id=11, etc).

It actually does. It has some issues in WMP where you hear all the background noise and music but you dont hear any of the dialog at all on some video files. So I perfer not to install CCCP since my system is working great now.

Ill try your method Quazzi :)

Uninstall all the programs mentioned above (you wont be needing them anymore) and mux this cancer to MP4 with mkv2vob There is 0 Quality loss and the files play out of the box on Windows Vista\7\OSX and hundreds of thousands of hardware players.

I know you said how to play it in wmp but VLC has never let me down. Just thought I would throw that in. Not the best GUI in the world but its the movie your watching that matters

VLC is also what I would use, the only thing I've found what won't play on it out of the box is .rm files, but you can use Real Alternative w/MPC for that anyways.

VLC is also what I would use, the only thing I've found what won't play on it out of the box is .rm files, but you can use Real Alternative w/MPC for that anyways.

Latest version of VLC plays RMVB & RM.

I know you said how to play it in wmp but VLC has never let me down. Just thought I would throw that in. Not the best GUI in the world but its the movie your watching that matters

Thank you for mentioning VLC but I use WMP :)

Again, I perfer not to use CCCP.

So I have to install the Haali Media Splitter and the AC3 filter? I dont want to install them just to make sure this is all I need :)

You don't have to have AC3Filter, just need the Haali Splitter.

@Bob21: Tried out mkv2vob since you are ALWAYS posting about it... caused explorer.exe to continuously crash in a infinite loop. Deleted the mp4 it outputted and problem went away.

2z54umw.png

Rubbish Hardware Support

Rubbish Software Support

Rubbish Tools

Universal Hardware Support

Universal Software Support

Enterprise Level Tools

Takes Seconds...

Im sure it did :rolleyes: just more myths lies and propaganda to promote rubbish unsupported containers.

Well you people have tried just about everything else...

Regardless the method above solves OP's problem dosnt change the quality or filesize and without the use of any splitters codecs or players, And the rusulting files will play in any software player/editor and pretty much anything with a screen (every console/Streamer/Bluray/PMP/PDA Phone...) :p

Edited by bob21

VLC or Movie Player Classic Home Cinema aka MPC-HC. I use MPC-HC for most stuff, and whatever it has any issues playing either VLC or WMP does just fine. MPC-HC does my MKV though, and does it nicely.

Guess I'm lying to support something in some made up war of yours that I could give a rats ass about :rolleyes:

Fact is it happened. I tried it on your behalf just to see why you are so adamant to advertise it in every post you make here, but it didn't work. Bummer. I can play mkv just fine, and if that's what someone releases their stuff in then no problem with me :)

Beware the myths, lies, and propaganda!! :laugh: