How do I playback .MKV in Windows 7/Windows Media Player 12?

MKV2VOB wont keep subtitles and might cause unnecessary audio transcending (because its for PS3 playback not creating ISO standardized files).

Check outTSMuxer and YAMB for a simple container changer , As for the speed itll be dependent on the size of the file and your hard disk speed.

Thats why god (ISO) invented M2TS (another container which has leapfrogged MKV) Of course its not just IPods that cant play MKV thats a humongous understatement considering its only use is to share pirated movies on-line by incompetent fools who think its some kind of magic that shrinks their files.

The only purpose of a media container is to store the streams so that devices can playback the files, A container that 99% of desktop computers don't even regonise as a video is a crap container. By comparison MP4 the ISO standardized container for h.264 will play in any software player/editor and pretty much anything with a screen (every console/Streamer/Bluray/PMP/PDA Phone...) :p

@op If you don't want the Crap Crap Crap Pack/Splitters/Media Players muxing to a mainstream container is the way to go.This isnt transcoding it takes seconds and the quality/size is the same

hdlol.gif

There was no H264 codec in XP and Vista, nor is there in crappy DVD players that support Xvid/Divx (MPEG4 ASP). Does that mean MPEG4 AVC (H264) is a crappy codec too? Doh.gif

Thanks, so now leaves me with only one question:

So if I install the DivX MKV thingy, would I be able to play all MKV in WMP12 fine? Would I be able to toggle subtitles?

No subtitles, no multiple audio streams and broken AR on some MKVs.

I hope that Haali has his new splitter ready by the end of the month :)

There was no H264 codec in XP and Vista, nor is there in crappy DVD players that support Xvid/Divx (MPEG4 ASP). Does that mean MPEG4 AVC (H264) is a crappy codec too?

First of all im refering to the latest versions of windows and OSX , Secondly learn the difference between a codec and a container.

The only purpose of a media container is to store the streams so that devices can playback the files, A container that 99% of desktop computers don't even regonise as a video is by definition a crap container when perfectly good h.264 containers exist like MP4 the ISO standardized container for h.264 will play in any software player/editor and pretty much anything with a screen (every console/Streamer/Bluray/PMP/PDA Phone...) :punk:

Edited by bob21

No idea what you are talking about, I have played MKV files on OS X, Linux, Windows, Windows Mobile and standalone players. But perhaps the devices you use are so cheap they have no proper players - not my problem.

BTW, 99% of the "any software player/editor and pretty much anything with a screen (every console/Streamer/Bluray/PMP/PDA Phone...)" you keep mumbling about will not be playing anything above L4.1 (and even less for the crap devices like iPhone and iPod, and apparently QuickTime as well), so you have fun in a container that has no support for advanced features (features that were even possible in DVDs in 2000) on bad quality encoded files (or good quality at much higher file sizes), while I'll be encoding and enjoying much better quality at much smaller sizes, on the most advanced container ever. Like you said, a container is a container, it should limit what I want to do with the video and audio streams; MP4 does, MKV doesn't.

No idea what you are talking about, I have played MKV files on OS X, Linux, Windows, Windows Mobile and standalone players. But perhaps the devices you use are so cheap they have no proper players - not my problem.

Out Of The Box Playback on the software and XBOX 360/KISS1600/Philips LCD ;)

BTW, 99% of the "any software player/editor and pretty much anything with a screen (every console/Streamer/Bluray/PMP/PDA Phone...)" you keep mumbling about will not be playing anything above L4.1 (and even less for the crap devices like iPhone and iPod, and apparently QuickTime as well), so you have fun in a container that has no support for advanced features (features that were even possible in DVDs in 2000) on bad quality encoded files (or good quality at much higher file sizes), while I'll be encoding and enjoying much better quality at much smaller sizes, on the most advanced container ever. Like you said, a container is a container, it should limit what I want to do with the video and audio streams; MP4 does, MKV doesn't.

Such crap , The quality has NOTHING to do with the container its all dependent on the settings used in the streams , The file size is dependent on the combined size of the streams . Do some research on what a container is because that is absolute nonsense . As for the maximum number of streams these limitations are put in place for manufactures of hardware based players and are of no concern to the user , In the rare case that you need more than 10 000 streams you can simply ignore the ISO spec and have an unlimited number of streams.

Facts are facts MP4 the ISO standardized container for h.264 will play in any software player/editor and pretty much anything with a screen (every console/Streamer/Bluray/PMP/PDA Phone...) :yes:

Finally "most advanced container ever" is an oxymoron a containers job is to hold the streams something which MP4/M2TS does just fine.

Edited by bob21

I gave you one example - branching. MP4 lacks it. M2TS is not supported everywhere. Ooops... :whistle:

BTW, the standard of MP4 doesn't support AC3, ergo players only supporting the standard (these with the screen) will not be able to play these files.

What a great container, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

M2TS is supported OOTB on windows and its hardware support dwarfs MKV's by a factor of 100,000.And AC3 has been supported in the ISO standard since 2008.

This is a really childish rant and a shying example of MKV supporters and the pure unadulterated stupidity that has enabled its use by the pirates, All your points have been debunked and do not relate to OP's question of how to deal with MKV.

Edited by bob21

Read the edit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

This is the ISO spec:

* Video: MPEG-4 Part 10 (also known as H.264/MPEG-4 AVC), MPEG-4 Part 2, (other compression formats are less used: MPEG-2, MPEG-1).

* Audio: Advanced Audio Coding (AAC - a subpart of MPEG-4 Part 3), (other compression formats are less used: MPEG-1 Audio Layer III (MP3), Apple Lossless, MPEG-2 Part 7 (AAC), MPEG-1 Audio Layer II (MP2), MPEG-1 Audio Layer I, MPEG-4 Part 3 subparts: Audio Lossless Coding (ALS), CELP (speech), TwinVQ (very low bitrates), SAOL (MIDI) and others.

* Subtitles: MPEG-4 Timed Text (also known as 3GPP Timed Text).

Bwahahaha, awesome container pfft. Obviously, your stupid argument will be "go out of spec" and we're back to MKV. The OP has a file that is likely to have an AC3 or DTS stream (ahem), so your recommendation is worthless.

Read the edit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

This is the ISO spec:

* Video: MPEG-4 Part 10 (also known as H.264/MPEG-4 AVC), MPEG-4 Part 2, (other compression formats are less used: MPEG-2, MPEG-1).

* Audio: Advanced Audio Coding (AAC - a subpart of MPEG-4 Part 3), (other compression formats are less used: MPEG-1 Audio Layer III (MP3), Apple Lossless, MPEG-2 Part 7 (AAC), MPEG-1 Audio Layer II (MP2), MPEG-1 Audio Layer I, MPEG-4 Part 3 subparts: Audio Lossless Coding (ALS), CELP (speech), TwinVQ (very low bitrates), SAOL (MIDI) and others.

* Subtitles: MPEG-4 Timed Text (also known as 3GPP Timed Text).

Bwahahaha, awesome container pfft. Obviously, your stupid argument will be "go out of spec" and we're back to MKV. The OP has a file that is likely to have an AC3 or DTS stream (ahem), so your recommendation is worthless.

It is NOT the case that the device needs to be updated to playback AC3 in MP4 , If the device can playback AC3 the stream will play and OOTB on Windows/OSX. A partial standard is better than no standard . Thats why its preferable to use AC3 in MP4.

Also have a readup on who created these codecs :)

Edited by bob21

But M2TS is not supported by any software player/editor and pretty much anything with a screen (every console/Streamer/Bluray/PMP/PDA Phone...). :rolleyes: Wasn't that the point? You can blablabla all you want, but the file that your silly app will produce will be an out of spec MP4, which is no better than the MKV the OP had.

And of course, thanks to piracy (:heart:), MKV is found OOTD (out of the download) 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000:1 to MP4/M2TS. Good enough for me.

But M2TS is not supported by any software player/editor and pretty much anything with a screen (every console/Streamer/Bluray/PMP/PDA Phone...). :rolleyes: Wasn't that the point?

My point is that other h.264 containers other containers Do exist which Can host the same streams without the Horrendous compatibility of MKV. It takes Seconds to turn a file with pathetic Software/Hardware support to one which is supported Out Of The Box on Windows/OSX and Hundreds of Thousands of hardware based players including All Games Consoles.

You can blablabla all you want, but the file that your silly app will produce will be an out of spec MP4, which is no better than the MKV the OP had.

Wrong it will playback OOTB on Windows/OSX and any device that can playback MP4 AND AC3 now straight away thats dwarfed MKV.s hardware support. You lose the knowledge that anything with a screen can playback the file but thats better than M2TS for a start. The latest versions of Windows and OSX which make up the vast majority of the PC market don't even recognize MKV as video file's never mind have the ability to playback the files which places completely unnecessary restrictions on the end user and how he or she shares the files with friends and family.

And of course, thanks to piracy (:heart:), MKV is found OOTD (out of the download) 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000:1 to MP4/M2TS. Good enough for me.

Because of pure unadulterated stupidity might want to check the quotes on Encyclopedia Dramitica's MKV article

Debunked Debunked Debunked and STAY Debunked

Edited by bob21

Wrong. M2TS is only supported with devices capable of playing Blurays (just like VOB playback is only possible on devices capable of DVD playback). Check your facts before posting crap. The fact that you create an article on ED just shows how insecure you are, and true to ED fashion, obviously have a 1" dick (you brought /b/ into this thread).

Some of you people should read about the profiles and the levels in h264. The 'level' field is there for the playing device to refuse to play anything that exceeds the player's capabilities. You can change the value in the binary file, and the player will attempt to play the file, regardless of whether or not it can actually play the file. In most cases, you'll find that the player CAN play the file. That's because the level was set to the wrong value.

And x264, the open source encoder implementation, tagged EVERY high profile video with the 5.1 level. I'm sure they've fixed that by now, but people didn't notice it until commercial players started refusing to play the 5.1 level. So there are a lot of videos from back in the day that are wrongly flagged as 5.1 level.

Now. According to the wikipedia, high profile @ level 5.1 can be used for 1080p videos @ 120 frames per second. Or 4096?2048 videos at 30 fps. No wonder why a friggin' ipod would refuse to play that level. HDTVs can't even show 120 frames per second, let alone four times the resolution. So there is a reason why level 5.1 is disabled on MOST devices. The culprit here is the x264 encoder incorrectly tagging the videos. And the higher the profile, the higher the video rate. So get your facts straight before "mubling" about something you don't know.

By the way, the 'level' field is contained inside the h264 stream, and has nothing to do with the container.

It doesn't matter what was tagged, the WMF codec will play if compliant to L4.1 (also the Bluray and HDDVD limit). Levels are not about the bandwidth only. You clearly even have no clue what the profiles and levels are and what they signify. Please educate yourself by visiting Doom9 forums.

Wrong. M2TS is only supported with devices capable of playing Blurays (just like VOB playback is only possible on devices capable of DVD playback). Check your facts before posting crap.

Thats just utter nonsense again , VOB and M2ts are containers they may be used for optical disks but thats irrelevant pretty much any decent streamer can handle both and of course any PC regardless of weather a drive is present. Hell my LCD can playback M2TS and no there isnt an optical drive present .

Lets call that another debunked point :rolleyes:

My WM device can't play M2TS files, while it plays MKV files just fine. You only seem to debunk points using your own silly hardware. :rolleyes: I'm starting to get the feeling that you have bought some crap hardware, and now it's MKV's fault cause you can't play the files.

Edited by Leo Natan

My WM device can't play M2TS files, while it plays MKV files just fine. You only seem to debunk points using your own silly hardware. :rolleyes:
Mobile: CE, WM, Smartphone

Pro: Windows / OS X

Version 1.2.0 (preview) build 3352 (20080221):

- ADD: AVCHD M2TS support

Another one bites the dust :pinch:

Hey, If anyone asks how to deal with MKV ill tell them how to liberate their media, If anyone posts BS afterwards ill debunk it ;)

Go and have a reread and see whos responsible for the derailing its the MKV fanboys who will spew out all sorts of filth to keep your media in chains .

Until the next time.

It doesn't matter what was tagged, the WMF codec will play if compliant to L4.1 (also the Bluray and HDDVD limit). Levels are not about the bandwidth only. You clearly even have no clue what the profiles and levels are and what they signify. Please educate yourself by visiting Doom9 forums.

The level field is only a tag, but it does matter if the decoder actually cares about the level. And I was talking about levels, not the profiles. All I'm saying is that there is that the vast majority of videos will fall below the level 5. And geez, levels limit are ONLY the macroblocks per second, which in turn WILL have an effect on the required bandwidth to be able to play the video. And what I said still applies. Level 4.1 limit is 1080p @ 30 fps. Anything supporting a higher level, will also have to support the upper limit for that level, and it makes absolutely no sense at all to have an ipod playing a 4096?2304 video @26.7fps. I'm pretty sure most CPUs will still struggle with such resolution.

And you are the one saying that the level used depends on the container used, so don't go telling me to educate myself when you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

My WM device can't play M2TS files, while it plays MKV files just fine. You only seem to debunk points using your own silly hardware. :rolleyes: I'm starting to get the feeling that you have bought some crap hardware, and now it's MKV's fault cause you can't play the files.

Just out of curiosity - what hardware are you talking about as I have yet to see anything other then pc that is capable reading mkvs?

And you are the one saying that the level used depends on the container used, so don't go telling me to educate myself when you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Hahah, what? :rolleyes: Never said such BS. You are confusing me with Bob.