Windows 7 flashy startup animation increases your boot

OK the results on my i7 920 computer. From the time I press enter on boot normally until I see a white cursor

With GUI - 41.81 seconds

Without GUI 34.47 seconds.

I want other people in this thread to also try this and post your results.

since you're measuring this from the windows start (not the power button)... why the heck is your computer taking so long?? with the i7 you have it should be FASTER!

Have you tried using Perfect Disk to defrag your system files? in my experience, it speeds up computers almost double every time.

Tip on getting more accurate benchmarks: Use the Event Viewer. Check out this article which explains how to do it in Vista but it works just as well in Windows 7.

Basically just go to Event Viewer or type "eventvwr.msc" in the start menu search and press enter. Then navigate to Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics-Performance > Operational.

Click "Filter Current Log" and use the following settings:

64718.png

Click OK and look for the following (click on any event with the new filtered view and go to the details tab):

vista_boot_time_small.png

MainPathBootTime measures the time it takes for the system to load all drivers and services that are critical to user interaction and get to the Windows desktop where the user can begin doing things.

BootPostBootTime includes all the other drivers and processes that aren?t critical to user interaction and can be loaded with low-priority I/O that always gives preference to user-initiated actions that execute using Normal I/O priority.

Again some more info on this can be found here. Just thought it might be usefu:):)

TIP: You can save the filtered view by clicking "Save Filter to Custom View" under the actions area which you could name something like "Boot Performance" so in the future you can just see the custom view immediately under the navigation tree.

I believe he's talking about a Windows sticker lol...

and also on the taskbar

normal - 38

No GUI - 28

but don't it look weird nothing on your screen and the odd blue lines appear at the top :s

and thanks +warwagon for saying it was my idea :D

i dont know why your core i7 920 is so slow becouse i have core i7 920 with 4GB of 1333 ram and not a fancy hard drive (320GB)

Edited by master2k27

and also on the taskbar

normal - 38

No GUI - 28

but don't it look weird nothing on your screen and the odd blue lines appear at the top :s

and thanks +warwagon for saying it was my idea :D

My screen is just blank with the no gui boot option. I installed 7 on my girlfriend's laptop, and she gets those blue lines in between the boot screen and welcome screen.... strange. I didn't know she wasn't alone on this.

@warwagon: I love how this entire thread has suddenly gone from a question to a discovery (even the topic title.. haha)

The /noguiboot parameter suppresses all bit-mapped graphics during the boot process, including the splash screen and progress bar that precede the logon prompt and the blue background of a bug check screen.
When /noguiboot is used, the system does not initialize bootvid.dll, the software component that provides basic video support before the computer's graphics drivers are loaded. Because bootvid.dll is not operating, the computer cannot display bit-mapped graphics during the boot process.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791545.aspx

Windows 7 takes 20 seconds longer than Vista to start on one of my laptops (up to date drivers and way above recommended specs) maybe this can account for some of that but dunno what the other 16 seconds is.

Windows 7 takes 20 seconds longer than Vista to start on one of my laptops (up to date drivers and way above recommended specs) maybe this can account for some of that but dunno what the other 16 seconds is.

Fresh install or upgrade?

since you're measuring this from the windows start (not the power button)... why the heck is your computer taking so long?? with the i7 you have it should be FASTER!

Have you tried using Perfect Disk to defrag your system files? in my experience, it speeds up computers almost double every time.

Processor is not a bottleneck for system start up time. its mostly down to hard drive speed.

Lets face it, do we all spend our time booting our computers in this day and age?

A lot of people leave the pc on, put it to sleep/hibernation. So the point (while valid - and thanks btw WW), is relatively moot today.

Okay, so if you DO boot your pc a lot, like I do once a day - do you really sit at your PC anxiously awaiting it to get ready? I sure don't. I switch my PC on (at home, at work it's auto woken via magic packets), and I go do something. Get a drink, or whatever. I'm sure all of you could be doing that too!

I don't mean to make this a rant post, it does contain some nifty info as I too, thought the animation slowed the boot down. :)

Has anyone actually compared the boot time of Vista and win7 to see if the bootscreen and Orb before the login screen on Vista takes more or less time then the boot screen only on win7? I mean there is one less step in Win7 compared to Vista without NOGUIBOOT turned on..

OK the results on my i7 920 computer. From the time I press enter on boot normally until I see a white cursor

With GUI - 41.81 seconds

Without GUI 34.47 seconds.

I want other people in this thread to also try this and post your results.

The fact that you people with i7 CPUs have boot times over the 30 second mark makes me go all "egg on your faces" when I said that I didnt really see the boot time improvements on windows 7 and everybody was like "30 SECONDSZZZZZ OMGGGG SUPER QUICK".

Anyway I'll try disabling the GUI just now and come back with results

:blink: People really care that much about 2-4 seconds?!?! The boot animation looks nice IMO.

i agree

booting 5 secs faster isnt really going to change anyones life and the animation looks good

if it was 20secs extra then i would probably disable it

i agree

booting 5 secs faster isnt really going to change anyones life and the animation looks good

if it was 20secs extra then i would probably disable it

neither is a boot logo

I'm pretty sure Windows is doing something during the flag animation. I'm not sure what, though. :p

loading apps and such? maybe doing a file system quick check, i dunno? 7 has been great for me at boot times. i clocked mine at less than 30seconds from the start of my pc to my desktop fully loaded.

The fact that you people with i7 CPUs have boot times over the 30 second mark makes me go all "egg on your faces" when I said that I didnt really see the boot time improvements on windows 7 and everybody was like "30 SECONDSZZZZZ OMGGGG SUPER QUICK".

The CPU is not the most important factor when booting... that would be the hard drive/s. You can have a super fast i7, but if you have that paired with an 80 GB IDE hard drive, you'll have long boot times.