Where do you buy your photography gear?

So i'm deciding between a canon t1i, nikon d5000 or pentax K-x... anyway... I'm looking for reputable websites that have good bundles.

Like this one, Cameta cameras

1. Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera Body & EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens (Black)

2. Transcend 16GB HC SecureDigital Class 6 (SDHC) Card

3. Precision Design USB 2.0 SecureDigital (SDHC) High-Speed Memory Card Reader

4. Spare LP-E5 Battery for Canon

5. Precision Design 1000 Deluxe Digital SLR System Camera Case

6. ImageRecall Digital Image Recovery Software

7. Precision Design Memory Card Storage Wallet

8. Precision Design 6 Piece Lens Cleaning Kit (Blower/ Brush/ Fluid/ Cloth/ Tissues/ Tips)

I pretty much care only on the SD card and the camera case :) which alone would probably cost $50 more.

I found cameta way back when in 2006, in ebay, when purchasing a nikon D50.

Also, it can't be on ebay! Unless they have a separate site like cameta is an ebay power seller, but also sells through www.cameta.com

I know about B&H and Adorama, but they don't seem to have good bundles like cameta does.

1.) Do you need any of that junk?

2.) Do yourself a favor and get a smaller, but faster, memory card. 16gb is such a huge amount. My 4gb card gets me 300 photos of 12mp RAW images. 16gb would take FOREVER to read/write when using such a slow card. Get a 4gb or 8gb faster card.

1.) Do you need any of that junk? :blush:

2.) Do yourself a favor and get a smaller, but faster, memory card. 16gb is such a huge amount. My 4gb card gets me 300 photos of 12mp RAW images. 16gb would take FOREVER to read/write when using such a slow card. Get a 4gb or 8gb faster card.

Well not really, I only want the camera case... But you do make a point I guess!

Make sure you get a case that gives you room to grow.

I have a camera backpack and I've already outgrown its storage capacity and had to get a 2nd bag to cary my extras in it.

I do NOT recommend ritzcamera due to stupidly high prices.

I agree that they are expensive usually, however they bring out some very nice camera deals every once in while. Just comparison shop and if it's cheaper wherever buy it there. Also note if yo have to pay sales taxes (in Ritz you do not in most states).

So i'm deciding between a canon t1i, nikon d5000 or pentax K-x... anyway... I'm looking for reputable websites that have good bundles.

1. Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera Body & EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens (Black)

2. Transcend 16GB HC SecureDigital Class 6 (SDHC) Card

3. Precision Design USB 2.0 SecureDigital (SDHC) High-Speed Memory Card Reader

4. Spare LP-E5 Battery for Canon

5. Precision Design 1000 Deluxe Digital SLR System Camera Case

6. ImageRecall Digital Image Recovery Software

7. Precision Design Memory Card Storage Wallet

8. Precision Design 6 Piece Lens Cleaning Kit (Blower/ Brush/ Fluid/ Cloth/ Tissues/ Tips)

I pretty much care only on the SD card and the camera case :) which alone would probably cost $50 more.

Man, that's a lot of junk.. I have been a professional Photographer for almost 20 years now. I used to be the Minolta X-700 and X-370 guy and even still have a Pentax 645 in the closet. So, as you can see my tastes are VERY picky. My current camera right now is the Olympus E-520, and if you ask me why, it's because of several innovative features that the Olympus brand has that no other brand has. If you look on olympus america's website you can get a listing. It's less expensive than any other brand, and does the same as far as quality and mine is a 10MP and on an 8GB CompactFlash card I get 1035 shots at high res. This Minolta guy has been behind an Olympus for three or four years now, and no turning back. Started with an E-500 - 8MP - upgraded last year to the E-520.

THE BEST THING.. You can get a 2 Lens kit for the same price as the Canon, and the optic quality surpasses any Canon lens. My father owns a Canon Digital Rebel and a D-50, and he still complains that my SLR takes better photos than his. check my website out for a gallery. Waldron Software Visions It's got the same "Portrait modes" as any other camera, but you get more area with the lenses due to the Four Thirds system. I have taken thousands of photos with the E-500 and NEVER has it stopped working or even failed, we're talking BASEBALL pictures in the dirt, wind, dust.. This is just my opinion, but you can get what you want, the main issue is WILL YOU BE HAPPY IN THREE YEARS. That's the standard owner limitation on a Digital SLR. I would STILL own the E-500 now, but I had a buyer and I DIDN'T want to get rid of it. The E Series has WIRELESS FLASH.. Let me know if you have trouble finding it or need other pictures from it.

I bought mine from Circuit City, but since this is an UNPOPULAR brand, anywhere would be a good deal. I'll attach a photo from my Olympus for you..

Have a good time with Photography, right now I'm lacking a full time job, so my photography will have to pay the bills.

post-204409-1257864204_thumb.jpg

You can get a 2 Lens kit for the same price as the Canon, and the optic quality surpasses any Canon lens.

That's a very bold claim. The 14-42mm kit lens is functionally similar to something like the 24-70mm F/2.8 L. You lens will be a little wider at the long end, and a little shorter at the long. Still, the 24-70mm L is widely regarded as one of the best lenses for any camera system (of course the lens alone costs costs more than the E-520 kit).

My father owns a Canon Digital Rebel and a D-50, and he still complains that my SLR takes better photos than his.

To borrow a phrase from warcraft nerds: skill > gear. Some people out there are getting better pictures from cellphone cameras than I can with ~$8,000 worth of kit.

It's got the same "Portrait modes" as any other camera, but you get more area with the lenses due to the Four Thirds system.

Four thirds / Micro four thirds cameras have a 2x crop factor where as most Canon/Nikon entry-level kit has approximately a 1.5x crop. You still end up with roughly the same zoom range on any given lens, but the Canon/Nikon gear will be closer to a proper 35mm field of view (and you can always upgrade to a full-frame body in the future).

The problem with big crop factors (IMO) is that in order to get very wide shots you need extremely wide lenses. Once you start getting down to say 12mm things like barrel distortion become extremely hard to manage.

My father owns a Canon Digital Rebel and a D-50, and he still complains that my SLR takes better photos than his.

You're comparing OLD entry level cameras, most likely with crappy lenses, to probably a half way decent SLR and quality film.... what did you expect was going to happen?

I try to buy stuff offline. I don't feel very confy having expensive and delicate gear shipped.

And yeah, as already has been said. You don't need most of the stuff you have named. And 4 or 8 GB of memory is more than enough really. Save the money and get only what you really need. Like a blower or a good cleaning cloth. Something that you would use often. Stuff for cleaning sensors is overrated for casual users. It's not like you are changing lenses during a dust storm or something. Usually a blower does a good job getting rid of those few dust speckles that end up on the sensor or the mirror.

I didn't really answer the question: I buy my gear locally. It almost always costs more than online orders but it's usually only $20-50 which isn't really much to worry about on a $1,000+ piece of kit.

I like to shop locally because you'll have a chance to talk first-hand with people familiar with the gear, you can try it out on your body (in store, or rent for a weekend) and make sure you like the results. They can usually recommend alternatives (ie: save $300 and get this cheaper version that is just as good, or 'that expensive lens is great, but this other one will probably serve you better for the same price'). Having a face-to-face point for warranty discussion is also very nice.

I'm not opposed to online ordering, I just don't think the savings is enough to justify losing the hands-on experience you can get with the gear. I'd feel like a huge prick going to a store and getting pre-sales support and then ordering it from amazon.

For people without access to a well-staffed local photography store: online is pretty much the only real choice. I don't buy gear from big chains shops like best-buy: they're independent local businesses. That's mostly a result of them having the best selection and most knowledgeable staff and not so much my irrational hatred of big-box retailers.

For people without access to a well-staffed local photography store: online is pretty much the only real choice. I don't buy gear from big chains shops like best-buy: they're independent local businesses. That's mostly a result of them having the best selection and most knowledgeable staff and not so much my irrational hatred of big-box retailers.

This... I would be ordering from newegg and getting it shipped through a courier to central america... Because prices here are crazy

At our local store called "Quickphoto" they only have Nikon D40, Rebel XTi, D60... all for over $700 in most cases body only... so you would understand why i'm buying online... But i really don't have any other option

This... I would be ordering from newegg and getting it shipped through a courier to central america... Because prices here are crazy

At our local store called "Quickphoto" they only have Nikon D40, Rebel XTi, D60... all for over $700 in most cases body only... so you would understand why i'm buying online... But i really don't have any other option

You are aware that you will be charged for import taxes when it arrives in your country, right?

Adorama. I ordered my Sigma 10-20mm 4.5-5.6 lens from them, zero problems and it even come with a nice UV filter (same price as the Sigma SRP too).

I would buy locally, but almost no one carries Pentax gear, and if they do, it's only a few Pentax lenses or an old body or two. I was rather shocked, when I was back home in June, that Camera Mart (a large camera store in the metro Detroit area) had a Pentax K110D, NIB on their back shelf. That body is a good 3 years old. Boots Camera here in Fresno has some Pentax stuff, but it's much the same story.