• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Explorer.exe Constantly crashes

Anonymous_101    0

Hello all!

I installed my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. 2 weeks later my OS is a complete piece of crap. If I right click on anything or double click it will crash explorer.exe. I am virus/malware/trojan free. my anti virus is Avast! Home Edition Free 4.8 . Firewall is the normal windows firewall. Spyware is Spybot Search and Destroy. Please help!

This is from my error logs:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 11/11/2009 1:01:25 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Umbrella-LP2

Description:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16404, time stamp: 0x4a765771

Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfbe

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x000000000000117a

Faulting process id: 0x15c0

Faulting application start time: 0x01ca6311d19d6bc0

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll

Report Id: 5edaed29-cf05-11de-88b2-005056c00008

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-11T21:01:25.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>2201</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Umbrella-LP2</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>explorer.exe</Data>

<Data>6.1.7600.16404</Data>

<Data>4a765771</Data>

<Data>msvcrt.dll</Data>

<Data>7.0.7600.16385</Data>

<Data>4a5bdfbe</Data>

<Data>c000041d</Data>

<Data>000000000000117a</Data>

<Data>15c0</Data>

<Data>01ca6311d19d6bc0</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\explorer.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll</Data>

<Data>5edaed29-cf05-11de-88b2-005056c00008</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Eric    1,605

Try running "sfc /scannow" from a command prompt. If that doesn't help let us know and we can go from there. Also, a log such as one from

HijackThis or System Information would help.

Also, if you're using Microsoft Security Essentials make sure you've updated it recently. The older versions had a bug that crashed Explorer because of the context menu.

Ridlas    39

I have the same exact issue with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I'm gonna do a format tomorrow. Seems to be the only way to fix this annoying problem.

Makes me really disappointed in Windows 7 :/ ITS EVEN WORSE THAN VISTA. Atleast my Vista installs last more than 4 months :/

Eric    1,605
I have the same exact issue with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I'm gonna do a format tomorrow. Seems to be the only way to fix this annoying problem.

Makes me really disappointed in Windows 7 :/ ITS EVEN WORSE THAN VISTA. Atleast my Vista installs last more than 4 months :/

Bad context menu entries are known to cause Explorer to crash. If you post a HijackThis or System Information log as well the community should be able to help you fix it as well. If it was Windows 7 everyone would be reporting it. :)

Anonymous_101    0

How do I know if im using "Microsoft Security Essentials"? Attached is the hijackthis log.

hijackthis_log.txt

Edited by Anonymous_101

Ridlas    39

I'll post my log when I get home.

Kool Box    5

For me personally, my Kaspersky 2010 was the cause. The latest build of that fixed that issue. Might be worth seeing if there are any updated builds of internet security software or anything else that ties itself into the explorer context menu.

Anonymous_101    0
I'll post my log when I get home.

I love that fact thats its not just me thats having this issue. if the context menu is so badly designed you think M$ would have found the problem.

Eric    1,605
I love that fact thats its not just me thats having this issue. if the context menu is so badly designed you think M$ would have found the problem.

It's not the context menu design, it's improper implementation of context menu items, otherwise everyone would be having problems with all context menu extensions. :) If you post your app log the people that frequent this forum can help you pinpoint the problem... or you can go it alone.

EDIT: Sorry, missed your upload. Checking log...

Edited by GreyWolfSC

Anonymous_101    0

How do I post the entire log?

Proculsi    6

It could be a hardware problem (RAM or HDD)...

rageagainstmachine    35

ye i get it too... very veru annoying.

seems its more than 1 thing for me. could be Kaspersky, could be CCC, could be Alchohol 120%....

Anonymous_101    0

I sense epic fail.

lars77    19

Agree w/ GreyWolfSC, this is almost always causing by a badly designed program that tries to insert its own menus into the right-click context menu. e.g. Adobe Drive is a pretty well known one that causes crashing.

If you know your way around the registry, you can see a bunch of them that load from

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Offhand, I would suggest uninstalling programs one-by-one that have installed stuff into your right-click context menu, eventually you'll figure out which program is causing this. I see that you might have some sort of Megaupload\Mega Manager program in your right-click context menu..maybe start by removing that & see if it's fixed?

Eric    1,605

I don't see anything suspicious in the HJT log. Can you download ShellExView and post the log from it? You make one by going to View>Select All then File>Save Selected Items

Shell extensions are like browser plugins for Explorer. If they're improperly written they can crash their host. It's not a host fault. :)

sullysnet    2
Bad context menu entries are known to cause Explorer to crash. If you post a HijackThis or System Information log as well the community should be able to help you fix it as well. If it was Windows 7 everyone would be reporting it. :)

wrong, it is NOT an shell extension issue at all so I wish people would stop blaming that. Just because in the past this issue was caused by an extension does not mean it is that issue. THis has been reported on vanilla installs (like mine) of Win7 x64. It can happen in may ways besides right clicking on the desktop. This is an issue that way more that a few people are having. It just seems for some strange reason 25% of the people have this issue on their build. Some have it in Vista x64

Someone started a thread here and I put my case in there with all my information. Rebuilding doesn't do a thing, two of use have already tried just that with no results.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...b-9ea8db11e779/

Edited by sullysnet

Anonymous_101    0
Agree w/ GreyWolfSC, this is almost always causing by a badly designed program that tries to insert its own menus into the right-click context menu. e.g. Adobe Drive is a pretty well known one that causes crashing.

If you know your way around the registry, you can see a bunch of them that load from

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Offhand, I would suggest uninstalling programs one-by-one that have installed stuff into your right-click context menu, eventually you'll figure out which program is causing this. I see that you might have some sort of Megaupload\Mega Manager program in your right-click context menu..maybe start by removing that & see if it's fixed?

I have Jdownloader installed, Rapidshare manager, and Megaupload manager. However explorer.exe crashes before any of those programs were installed or used on my computer. Define context menu. Is that the box that opens when i right click? If so then the only thing thats not a part of windows would be the scanner for Spybot S&D, the scanner for Avast, WinRAR, and Power ISO. I had a program called Eraser and that could be the issue.

I don't see anything suspicious in the HJT log. Can you download ShellExView and post the log from it? You make one by going to View>Select All then File>Save Selected Items

Shell extensions are like browser plugins for Explorer. If they're improperly written they can crash their host. It's not a host fault. :)

I have tried using the ShellExView and disabling the Eraser shell and it didnt help me. I really thought that Eraser would have been the problem. I will post a Shell log right now.

Eric    1,605
wrong, it is NOT an shell extension issue at all so I wish people would stop blaming that. Just because in the past this issue was caused by an extension does not mean it is that issue. THis has been reported on vanilla installs (like mine) of Win7 x64. It can happen in may ways besides right clicking on the desktop. This is an issue that way more that a few people are having. It just seems for some strange reason 25% of the people have this issue on their build. Some have it in Vista x64

Someone started a thread here and I put my case in there with all my information. Rebuilding doesn't do a thing, two of use have already tried just that with no results.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...b-9ea8db11e779/

Are you sure it's wrong? We haven't discovered the reason for Anon's crash. Bad shell extensions are a common reason for Explorer crashes along with malware. His HJT log doesn't show any malware, so I'm going to the next step. You're welcome to chip in and help if you like, but just saying "wrong" doesn't fix anything. :)

Eric    1,605

There does appear to be an issue with Eraser not playing nice with the recent Visual C runtime updates. According to their support forum disabling the context menu doesn't help. Can you try uninstalling it and see if the error goes away? If it does, an Eraser user has posted a possible solution to the issue here.

Your log shows that your are using Eraser 5.8.7. Their home page indicates there is a 5.8.8 beta that's supposed to fix context menu issues. The post is from July, but it is a newer version than the one you have installed. :)

Anonymous_101    0
There does appear to be an issue with Eraser not playing nice with the recent Visual C runtime updates. According to their support forum disabling the context menu doesn't help. Can you try uninstalling it and see if the error goes away? If it does, an Eraser user has posted a possible solution to the issue here.

Your log shows that your are using Eraser 5.8.7. Their home page indicates there is a 5.8.8 beta that's supposed to fix context menu issues. The post is from July, but it is a newer version than the one you have installed. :)

I have uninstalled the program.

Eric    1,605
I have uninstalled the program.

Any luck? I'll keep looking if you're still having trouble. (You may have to reboot after uninstalling.)

sullysnet: If your issue includes NTDLL.dll instead of msvcrt.dll it may be a different issue. If you like I'll try to help you troubleshoot as well. First would be HijackThis to make sure there's nothing naughty installed. Also, please post your hardware configuration.

djesteban    4

Anonymous_101, regarding your Windows 7 install, did you upgrade or was it a clean install?

Also, does this happen on a vanilla install of W7 (like with NOTHING else installed, just formated)

Let us know, thanks

Anonymous_101    0
Anonymous_101, regarding your Windows 7 install, did you upgrade or was it a clean install?

Also, does this happen on a vanilla install of W7 (like with NOTHING else installed, just formated)

Let us know, thanks

It was a system builder fresh install. This installation was NOT an upgrade. I did a forensic wipe to make sure that the previous Windows 7 RC2 build 7100 was deleted.

Also I restarted my computer with it uninstalled.

Eric    1,605
It was a system builder fresh install. This installation was NOT an upgrade. I did a forensic wipe to make sure that the previous Windows 7 RC2 build 7100 was deleted.

Also I restarted my computer with it uninstalled.

Is Explorer still crashing? :(