Windows 7 resolution stuck at 800x600

Hey, im using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit build 7100. When I installed this and booted for the 1st time, windows automatically installed drivers for my Nvidia 9800GT. I also manually installed drivers for my Samsung Syncmaster P2050 (1900x600 native resolution).

I have been unable to change my resolution to anything besides 800x600. I've tried updating, reinstalling and uninstalling all my drivers, to no avail. Also the custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel fails with the following message "Your monitor does not support xxxx resolution at xx bits". I've seen quite a few people with the same issue on forums and such, but none of the mentioned solutions work. Anyone that may know a cause/solution ?

You need to install the manufacturer's drivers for the Nvidia card. Windows drivers are crap and won't allow your video card to function at its fullest. Go to the Nvidia website and you can get them there.

Try this...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista...91.07_whql.html

(Minderbinder response was due to you saying you let Windows automatically install drivers - however you did then mention using the nvidia control panel so I presume you installed the driver, anyhow the above driver is definitely the correct driver you need.)

I am using retail Windows 7 64bit with 9800 GT and it is working perfectly fine.

(If you can try another monitor too just to remove the possibility from the equation - though I find it unlikely to be the monitor.)

Please answer the following:

You have tried an alternative monitor but did you try using a different connection method? (I have seen one PC fail because of a connector)

Does the driver appear to install fine - or does it give you any errors.

Next...

"Your monitor does not support xxxx resolution at xx bits"

Right click the desktop > screen resolution > advanced settings > monitor tab.

Make sure "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is selected.

If it isn't tick it... now go to the adapter tab and selected "list all modes" and see what is listed there... report back if you can change it there.

If the above fails... What is the current number of colors set to? (32bit?) and what is the refresh rate?

Refresh rates / colours and resolutions aren't independent - sometimes certain settings will only work with certain resolutions. For example at max resoltion and max colour settins I can only run at 60Hertz... lowering res or colours allows 72 or 75 Hertz.

The 800x600 resolution I have at the moment runs in 16 colors at 60Hz

The "Hide modes that...." button isn't ticked, but it's greyed out so I can't manually tick it. If I click the Display Modes button is shows only 800x600 at 56 or 60Hz.

Also the other monitor I tried was with a analog cable in the other port of my graphics card. Just for interests sake, The max refresh rate I can run with this setup is 71Hz and anything higher than 16 colors is also rejected (when adding custom resolutions)

Edited by Aftershock416

Something seems seriously wrong... i doubt its the monitor as you have tried alternatives, I doubt it's the driver... as I don't see any issue. I don't see it being Windows 7 either.

Are the other reports of the same build as you or and links/posts to people having problems with retail?

It looks like your Gfx card is acting funny... Remove the Gfx Card from your mobo and start up using the integrated one and see what happens...

It looks like your Gfx card is acting funny... Remove the Gfx Card from your mobo and start up using the integrated one and see what happens...

Yeah - this will at least remove any doubt it could be monitors or Win7 or a combination of these.

As my mobo doesn't have onboard, I switched my gfx card for my old 8600gt. It worked, against all my expectations, perfectly. This is kind of sad, as it seems either Microsoft or the manufacturer of my gfx card slipped up bigtime somewhere :*(

Hey, im using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit build 7100. When I installed this and booted for the 1st time, windows automatically installed drivers for my Nvidia 9800GT. I also manually installed drivers for my Samsung Syncmaster P2050 (1900x600 native resolution).

I have been unable to change my resolution to anything besides 800x600. I've tried updating, reinstalling and uninstalling all my drivers, to no avail. Also the custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel fails with the following message "Your monitor does not support xxxx resolution at xx bits". I've seen quite a few people with the same issue on forums and such, but none of the mentioned solutions work. Anyone that may know a cause/solution ?

I have the same problem with you and i cant find something!!

Maybe the driver of our graphics card will have a bug!!!

Does anyone have this "bug" on retail Windows 7 however, im guessing you havent got a retail version to try? You can't hardly blame Microsoft if its a bug only in a free test build (the purpose of the builds is to remove these sorts of bugs). You shouldn't be using it as your primary OS, an in a few months you'll have to change anyway. Maybe look at buying Windows 7 or moving to whatever OS you intend to in a few months time now?

If its also happening on retail its most likely the graphics card I reckon, either faulty or your specific model. As many people are running this card fine without problems.

Perhaps you could try creating custom resolutions in the Nvidia control panel ..

it's in Advanced Settings >> Change Resolutions >> Add Resolutions ..

That said , it sounds like a bug in the drivers somewhere ..