Crashing Explorer.exe

Is 815227 the explorer.exe update? I tried uninstalling that and reinstalling SP1 and still had no love.

RAM settings are at "normal" right now. I am beginnign to run outta things to tweak!!

Nope, 815227 is the HyperThreading fix. It wouldn't seem like it would have anything to do with my Turbo Mode problems, but doing that stopped my crashing :/

Hrmmm already installed that, and still keeps crashing. I have noticed that it often random when it crashes, however it almost ALWAYS crashes when I launch a Video File (AVI, MPEG). Does that set off any alarms for anyone? Registry issue maybe or codec problem?

I actually OWN XP, is it worth calling MS for support? Or will I wind up getting someone who knows less than me...?

if you own it, it's definitely worth calling them. :yes: they seem to know their stuff. if you for whatever reason get someone who doesn't know what he/she's talking about, call back 5 mins later :laugh:

Hrmmm already installed that, and still keeps crashing. I have noticed that it often random when it crashes, however it almost ALWAYS crashes when I launch a Video File (AVI, MPEG).?

...Uninstall it ;)

That was the exact same problem I had. Video files crashed explorer (but only with Turbo Mode enabled) before I uninstalled the Hyperthreading fix. It's worth a try for you, though.

This was happening before I installed the Turbo fix too though. Still, I will give it a go. I basically tried rollign it back to SP1 before. Maybe a reinstall over my old install is in order. Can I do this w/o wiping out my custom settings?

Shoudl I try just disabling "Turbo Mode" in BIOS? What exactly does it do?

Thanks all for continuing to help me...

Turbo Mode decreases the latency between the Memory and the FSB by shaving off some clock cycles, and improving the speed of others. If you have BIOS version 1006 and haven't messed with the Performance Acceleration Mode setting, it's already disabled. There isn't an option to "Disable" it, but there might be in 1007.13. Play around with that and see if that helps.

Just an update in case anyone has this issue in the future.

I fixed the problem!! After going through a reinstall of XP over my current one and STILL having the problem, I started uninstalling programs. That did no good either. WHat finally worked? It was indeed a codec. I wish I could give youdetails on what the offender was, because I just unistalled ALL of my video Codecs (except the Avid DV Codec which I trusted). Anyways, problem solved. I am now going to reinstall my codecs 1 by 1 and see if I can figure out which one should be destroyed...

if you own it, it's definitely worth calling them. :yes: they seem to know their stuff. if you for whatever reason get someone who doesn't know what he/she's talking about, call back 5 mins later :laugh:

Actually I work for Windows XP technical support (personal level) and I experience the same thing, only it's very random. I've asked around to see if anyone has heard of anything like this, and they haven't.

It always seems to happen when I'm using Windows Media Player and it seemed to happen more when I upgraded to Media Player 9. If it does turn out to be a codec, I'd be very interested to know which one, cause this has been bugging me for a while.

Actually, scratch what I said above. It IS still happening.

Odyssey, any suggestions?

It seems to be less I guess. It just happened right now though. I was doing a Windows Update (Version 4 Beta - I'm part of the Office 2K3 Beta) and had explorer open.

My next step is to unistall all utilities (Nortown, AdAware, etc)

Well, I performed a repair install on Windows XP (backed up data first though), and the problem seemed to go away for a while. Then it kind of cropped up again. Like I said, for me it's very random, it doesn't happen every time I use Windows Media Player, but WMP always seems to be open when it's happening.

I'll ask around again, and if I get no response I'll go to the research team. One thing is for sure, whatever is causing it, we all have it in common it seems. I'll post whatever new information I can find :)

I was hit by this problem too.

Very random indeed.

My situation is that explorer.exe goes to 100% cpu usage and eventually crash whenever I open the WinMX shared folder.

Solved it by removing some registry key that disables the avi properties summary tag.

I hope SP2 will not bring us more problems.

I am having a similar problem to you, except that my explorer usually crashes when i close a folder, which is exactly what the microsoft article linked earlier said would be causing the problem so i downloaded that update, still don't know if it works though.

As for your case, why don't you try uninstalling EVERYTHING, and don't overclock anything. Also, if you have AIM, uninstall that. I spent 9 months trying to figuring out what was wrong with my computer because windows would get distorted and things wouldn't open, buttons would be missing, etc. I replaced hardware and spent over $500, when in the end the problem was a memory leak caused by AIM. Different than what you're seeing, but trust me, AIM can do some magical things.

If you can elliminate a software problem, then start swaping hardware with a friends computer to see if that's the culprit.

Also, my explorer never used to crash until this install of xp ( I reformat a lot). The only difference this time around is that I have been introduced to neowin, which means a lot of xp customizations.....uxtheme, iconpackager, yzdock, modified dlls and lots of other stuff. Although this might not be the problem, I believe that in my case one of these things might be causing explorer to crash.

I'd suggest that you reformat, and don't install anything except essential drivers, definitely don't customize anything if you usually do. See if that fixes it. If that doesn't work, it's most definitely a hardware problem, or your copy of xp isn't so great.......

If all else fails and you CANT fix the problem, download systrayx, it will recover the taskbar for you after an explorer crash, only a trial though.

Hope this helps.

just a shot in the dark but it worked for a friend with the same problem.........

do you have a lot of large media files? is explorer viewing your files in "detail" mode with "duration" being one of the details? if so, try opening up your media go to view>choose details and uncheck "duration". i've heard that explorer sometimes hangs while checking the duration of large media files.

I don't have duration enabled on most screens, though I DO have a LOT of media files. And I mean a LOT....

I was intrigued by what iron2000 said above. I think I remember seeing something about an AVI registry key that con-fuquered things up a while back. Anybody have anymore info on that?

I have unistalled most software now. I am at the point where I think if I can't figure this out by weekends end, then I am just going to do a fresh install of XP. First thing I'll do when I get it reinstalled is image it with either Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive Image (anybody have a preferance??)...

I think of myself as pretty thoughtful with computer issues, in fact I solve a lot of them for family, friends, etc... But this one has me licked. I know when to admit I'm beaten....

I am almost 100% confident though that it has SOMETHIGN to do with media associations....

now i'mcurious. found this:

The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

This problem manifests itself by causing Explorer to read the entire contents of an AVI file, regarless of its size or location any time the mouse pointer is hovered over it, or an attempt is made to access it in windows explorer. This causes 'permission denied' errors when trying to simply move, copy or delete these files as they cannot be changed while Explorer has an open handle on them.

This also causes a DoS situation where large AVI's are stored on remote shares and Explorer keeps reading the files from beginning to end each time they are accessed.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cl

asses\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files. This will not effect your ability to play files, get file attributes, or even view thumbnails. Say goodbye to all explorer.exe 100% CPU issues.

Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault. This fix does work, I use it and have applied it to many XP machines. Now go ahead and fix this royal pain in the ass!

I actually didn't even have that key...

I have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\AVI Handler

Thats it...

Maybe it was something I already changed? THough my install is only a couple months old...

I am almost done removing every program :-(

We'll see how that goes...

this happen to me

i had to do a restore

then repatch everything

pain they dont have a better system say one that would repair

itself  say a selfhealing windows xp

i should never see a crash or something not work

my car has many moving parts pluse a small puter running

code it never crashes or stops working as often as every version

windows i owned

That has to be one of the most worn out and hugely flawed analogy out there. A personal computer and a vehicle are two completely different things. :angry:

To add insult to injury, you obviously don't work on

cars for a living either. Most newer cars today have

much more than just one computer installed as well.

Na, you analogy just doesn't cover this at all.

Just an update in case anyone has this issue in the future.

I fixed the problem!! After going through a reinstall of XP over my current one and STILL having the problem, I started uninstalling programs. That did no good either. WHat finally worked? It was indeed a codec. I wish I could give youdetails on what the offender was, because I just unistalled ALL of my video Codecs (except the Avid DV Codec which I trusted). Anyways, problem solved. I am now going to reinstall my codecs 1 by 1 and see if I can figure out which one should be destroyed...

Nice going, is it fixed for sure? Did you find the offending

codec?

I say reformat it, it's really not that big of a deal if you're uninstalling everything anyway, just move your files over to another HD, or back them up another way then wipe that bitch clean. You said you installed windows xp over your current one. From past experiences my systems haven't run that great after installing an OS over the existing one, so I always reformat if i plan to install a new/same os again, this way you can start clean every time. But i'm guessing the reason you haven't done this yet is b/c you don't have an extra hd to back your files up to. If that's the case then you'll just have keep that as your last option.

I usually reformat once a month, and I've even done it a few other times to try to solve this particular problem. I have no problem reformatting, but I'm just curious to know why I keep ending up at the same point (explorer randomly crashing).

As for doing a repair install, I did that just for kicks; to see if it would actually do something. It's always been my experience too, that reinstalling my OS on top of my existing one always seems to cause more problems, but to my amazement, it seemed to work better...for a while.

I have an idea that it might be a post service pack 1 update, as it never seemed to happen to me when I just did a clean install of Windows XP SP1. I just wish it wasn't so random (or at least seem that way).

well i got the same problem of explorer crashin. i dont know why it happens but i think that one guy that had the link to microsoft on the first page hit the problem on the head. this crashin thing is annoying but i certainly know that it will be fixed in the new service pack coming along soon (hopefully) if this many people are having the same problem. Im just sittin tight right now i dont feel like reformatting cause thats not the problem. its a bug. if we all sit tight and hold hands this whole thing will be cleared up sonner than we think. haha holding hands.

peace players and ladies

Thanks all. Thats the next step is the ol' reformat-a-roo

What software do you guys recommend for making an image of it once I get the base install done?

What software do you guys recommend for making an image of it once I get the base install done?

I use Norton Ghost 2003. Works great! :D It can burn to most CD burners, and read/write NTFS drives.