Crashing Explorer.exe

I never image anything since i reformat about once a month for cleanliness and like to start anew, but I know people who have used norton ghost 2003 and have said it works flawlessly.

First off, i would like to say: "I AM SICK OF MY COMPUTER CRASHING!"

i will guarantee that in the next 30 to 1 hr, my computer will restart automatically! losing very important documents that im working on.

i thought i had the problem fixed, but apparently i havent!

here's my problem: which is similar to every other guys' problem here as well.

i have a p4, 2.4C overclocked to 3ghz

that was working fine until i realised that my burner would disappear all the time.

then, i formatted and reinstalled windows xp from scratch.

same problem - it kept rebooting on me

so i got rid of everything, changed all the settings back to 'normal' and installed xp.

i finally found out that DAEMON TOOLS (3.33) would not install properly on xp.

it would run setup, i would go through the wizard and then it would crash, restart, restart, restart...

so this time, i formatted and did NOT install daemon tools

i thought the problem was fixed because i had slipstreamed SP1 and had NOT visited windows update at all, because i had similar problems with 815227 (unoffial patch??)

-- it stuffed my whole computer up with the 'HT +sp1 bug' fix

so then, after about 5 formats and installs of xp, i thought i had it narrowed down to daemon tools

but now, on my 7th install

i STILL have restarting issues (automatically)

i had installed ALL of the critical and service pack files at windowsupdate.com

but that didnt fix anything, computer kept CONSTANTLY restarting on me, automatically

say after 1 hour into my computing session

now... i have reloaded my ghost image

backed up my files to D (another partition)

and it 'seems' to be ok

but i know it will continue to restart when im browsing or typing something in word xp (office xp with sp1 and sp2 installed)

anyone help??

by the way, when the problem first occured, i had my 2.4C overclocked to 3, and i kept getting STOP error blue screens, resulting in my computer starting and then getting the 'your computer has recovered from a serious error' pop-up dialog. now ... im getting the same thing, but i have not installed any critical patches (as i think it would be the same problem people had with 811493 and 815227 for me)

it's REALLY annoying when you're browsing/working and it crashes on you randomly!!

help guys?

Rather than just suggest blindly, get the minidump and post it. I can take a look at it and figure out exactly why its crashing.

Where/what is the minisdump? Nothin was written to the Event Log, so I assumed that that was that...?

Huy - First thing I would suggest for you is to set everything back to normal and see if its stable. BSOD's in XP are almost 99% of the time related to driver or RAM issues.

Even w/ all my issues, I have still never had a BSOD. Also, try other RAM. A friend of mine with a A78NX was pulling out his hair tryign to figure out what was up with XP. Turns out it was the Crucial/Samsung RAM he bought. He got some new stuff and problem fixed...

ok,

im sick of my comp!

1. stop error 0x0000007F

OR

2. stop error 0x000000CE

now, i THINK 7F is caused by daemon tools 3.33

my advice to anyone wanting to use 3.33 or d-tools ... DONT

i tried to install it, BOOM, on 2 computers (different hardware) the setup will not complete, the comp restarts and restarts (loop)

secondly

im still getting 0xCE

i think its burner related because it says redbook.sys is the 'bad' file

i can log into windows

but after awhile the computer blue screens on me

the first problem, even after 10+ reinstalls (formatting +clean install)

was daemon tools

clean install of xp

install daemon tools (try to!)

and then it restarts on itself

i have a sony crx175e and the burning apps i have installed are:

blindwrite

cdrwin

nero burning rom

i HAD daemon tools before but if you try to uninstall it, blue screen

if you try to install it (if you didnt have an older version of dtools installed), it blue screens

just a warning to anyone here, DONT try it... i thought it was my hardware, but now i know it's d-tools (after trying about 5 times just to make sure)

about my stop 0xCE error, redbook.sys is a cdrom driver, i cant find any updates etc to my sony burner :(

that's causing my blue screens i'll bet

can anyone help me?

i have daemon-tools and have used it for quite a while now. i'm currently using 3.29 though, so i don't know about any probs with 3.33. i suggest using the previous version of it since it works just fine. :yes:

i have daemon-tools and have used it for quite a while now.? i'm currently using 3.29 though, so i don't know about any probs with 3.33.? i suggest using the previous version of it since it works just fine:yes:s:

well, this is what i figure:

i had daemon tools 3.28 or .29 installed

it was working fine

i decided to install 3.33

installation decided to halt

the monitor flashed and system rebooted

upon reboot, i logged into windows

and windows was detecting 'pnp bios extension'

after that was installed, BOOM -- restarted again

upon reboot, the same thing happens all over again

restarting... and restarting ... and restarting

i have formatted my drive half a dozen times

i have installed windows xp cleanly (fresh, professional)

the system would crash when i install daemon tools 3.33 (i havent tried anything lower)

but i will use 3.29 and lower ASAP

now, currently my computer is not restarting "automatically"

and i think i have solved the infinite loop-automatic reboot problem by formatting, and installing windows xp again (fresh, clean)

this time, WITHOUT installing daemon tools.

i would be getting stop 0x000000CE errors though, which brings up the "redbook.sys" error

saying that the: "DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATION"

i've visited ms support kb articles, googled etc.

i havent installed, and will not install daemon tools 3.33 now.

which means i get rid of 1 'blue screen'

but now i'm getting the 0xCE stop errors (blue screens).

my system:

2.4C, abit IC-7, 1GB DDR400, sony CRX175E,

everything is brand new (i just got the system built about 2 weeks ago)

also a brand new 380W psu from antec, so that isn't the problem,

ram is good as well (i double and triple checked with diagnostics and they are all okay on other computers, switching ram sticks etc).

can anybody help me with stop 0xCE? or know anything about conflicts with:

blindwrite and its aspi layer,

windows xp's default aspi layer (if any)

cdrwin and installing goldenhawk/cdrwin's aspi layer

AND using nero burning rom with any associated aspi layers on the SAME machine?

i have replaced my ribbon/ide cables a dozen times too on my cdrw

everything works, its just that i keep getting the 'your computer has recovered from a serious error' popup everytime i log on, and the system restarts itself (blue screen, halts) with the stop 0xCE error. please?

this is what i see in event viewer:

------------------------

The device 'SONY CD-RW CRX175E' (IDE\CdRomSONY_CD-RW__CRX175E_____________________1.0j____\5&232986b4&0&0.1.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

------------------

Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 8666b60c, parameter3 f7c7daec, parameter4 f7c7d7ec.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

------------------

Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 804eb3b8, parameter3 f7c81ae0, parameter4 f7c817e0.

---------

sorry about the really long post:(:( :(:(

EDIT: i have discovered 2 ways of creating a blue screen.

the first one was installing daemon tools 3.33 WITHOUT having any previous version on xp.

the second i just found out a minute ago while 'testing'

- i removed all of my cd burning apps like nero, blindwrite and cdrwin

then i went into device manager, hardware

and uninstalled my sony crx175e

as soon as i did that, the computer blue screen'ed

stop error 0xCE, after rebooting, 2 error messages came up

'your comp has recovered from a serious error ... etc' (twice)

error log from event viewer

-----------

Error code 100000ce, parameter1 f79aea00, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 f79aea00, parameter4 00000000.

------------

this error log was created twice. (two popups)

Edited by Huy