Tiger Woods to take 'indefinite leave' from golf

US golfer Tiger Woods is taking indefinite leave from professional golf to try to work on "healing" his family.

On a statement on his website, he said he was aware of the disappointment "my infidelity" had caused his family.

He said he wanted to "try to repair the damage done" and asked for privacy so his family "could heal".

In the UK, lawyers for the world's number one obtained an injunction preventing certain information purportedly about him being published.

On his website, Mr Woods said he was "profoundly sorry" and asked for forgiveness.

He said: "I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding.

"What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.

"After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person."

He has been married to his wife Elin for five years and they have a two-year-old daughter and 10-month-old son.

In a statement the Professional Golfers Association (PGA) Tour said it supported the golfer's decision, the Associated Press news agency reported.

Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said the celebrity's "priorities are where they need to be".

"We look forward to Tiger's return to the PGA Tour when he determines the time is right for him," he said.

The UK injunction was granted by a judge at the High Court in London, and concerns alleged information which cannot be disclosed for legal reasons.

Last week Woods apologised to his family for "transgressions".

Speculation about his private life has been intense since he was involved in a car crash outside his Florida home.

Newspaper allegations followed about extra-marital affairs.

Woods has not been seen in public since the accident, in which his car hit a tree and fire hydrant.

The golfer, who was found bleeding and semi-conscious, was later charged with careless driving, which carries a $164 (?98) fine and four points on his driving record.

Woods has become an international sporting icon since winning his first major in 1997 at the age of 21.

At 33, he is just four short of equalling Jack Nicklaus's record of 18 major victories and is regarded as one of the world's all-time great golfers.

BBC

It's rumoured his wife asked him to pick golf, something he loves, or her and the kids.

I say leave the man alone let him play golf.

media should be shot for putting his personal life all over the news

People forgot about Kobe, so I think this will fade away as well.

Kobe addressed it, he talked to the media. Tiger is posting updates on a website, without revealing jack ****... that's why this will live for a long time

He could've came out and just laid it all out, and then the media wouldn't have much to hang onto in the future

i dont think he ll ever be able to continue to playing golf on such a professional level. simply because you cant want to have a clean-image and then, in reality, you behave like a total idiot.

however im fascinated about the obvious (?) stupiditiy of his wife. so she gives him another chance after all this. i bet money has nothing to do with it has it? :p

There's no way the media will let this one slip. Especially since he's managed to get a gagging order on the British press (which will mean they will want to story even more now).

Kobe addressed it, he talked to the media. Tiger is posting updates on a website, without revealing jack ****... that's why this will live for a long time

He could've came out and just laid it all out, and then the media wouldn't have much to hang onto in the future

Famous people have just as much right as everyone else to a private life, personally I think he is doing the right thing by stepping back and trying to focus on his family, he isn't going to repair things by keep giving the media saucy stories about his misdemeanour's

Famous people have just as much right as everyone else to a private life, personally I think he is doing the right thing by stepping back and trying to focus on his family, he isn't going to repair things by keep giving the media saucy stories about his misdemeanour's
A) You're making some assumptions about him "doing the right thing." There's always more to the story than is revealed to the public. I, you, and everyone else have no idea whether Tiger is making any genuine attempt to repair the situation. We also have no idea how this will play out or what's happening behind closed doors.

B) Cheating on your wife with every woman you can find coast-to-coast pretty much forfeits, in all sense of practicality, your right to privacy when it comes to cheating matters. It wasn't a slip-up, or "transgressions," but rather a repeated, intentional, calculated effort. And all power to him if that's what he wants, but I don't think there is any reasonable expectation of privacy at this point.

C) By posting to his website (if we assume it's actually him creating the messages) instead of holding a press conference, Tiger makes it crystal clear that he is spineless, which I don't think should surprise anyone in the first place; he hides behind teams of lawyers and has a very self-righteous, superficial manner of speech when he does interviews that gives him the false image of untouchability. It's a little unnerving to me and it seems clear that he has nothing of substance to say when he's facing the music.

In Tiger's defense, he probably has never really faced hardship his entire life. Some people can react strangely to that, especially when you mix in wealth, fame, and entitlement.

Golfers never made it very high on my list of people to respect, primarily because they tend to simply be rich kids who's dad's started them on the golf course 4 times/day since they were able to walk. Sports like football better echo the trials of life: some people have what it takes, some don't; those that do still have to decide if they're going to put in the effort without any promise of success. Golf, and baseball to some extent, subverts that reality.

Woah, this is turning into a bit of a rambling diatribe. Anyway, Tiger deserves nothing at this point. Man up and show your face.

Major sponsor Gillette to 'limit' Tiger Woods' role

Gillette has become the first major sponsor of Tiger Woods to distance itself from the golf star after the storm over his private life.

It said it would limit Woods' role in its marketing while the champion took time off to repair his personal life.

The golfer has announced he is taking an indefinite break from professional golf to tackle his problems.

In a statement released on his website, he admitted to "infidelity", after weeks of press speculation.

Woods promotes brands ranging from AT&T to Nike, an array of endorsements which helped him become the first sports star to earn $1bn (?0.6bn), the Associated Press reports.

Nike said late on Friday it supported his decision to withdraw from professional golf while AT&T said it was evaluating its relationship with Woods.

The golfer will be phased out from Gillette's television and print advertising, and from public appearances and other efforts linking the two entities together, said Gillette spokesman Damon Jones.

"This is supporting his desire to step out of the public eye and we're going to support him by helping him to take a lower profile," he added.

Gillette has had a contract with Woods since 2007. Details of its value and length were not being made public immediately.

According to the research firm Nielsen Co, Tiger Woods has not been seen in a prime-time television commercial since a Gillette ad on 29 November.

A) You're making some assumptions about him "doing the right thing." There's always more to the story than is revealed to the public. I, you, and everyone else have no idea whether Tiger is making any genuine attempt to repair the situation. We also have no idea how this will play out or what's happening behind closed doors.

Yeah, I am making an assumption, I am sure he is putting a multi million dollar a year job on hold just for the sake of it :rolleyes:

B) Cheating on your wife with every woman you can find coast-to-coast pretty much forfeits, in all sense of practicality, your right to privacy when it comes to cheating matters. It wasn't a slip-up, or "transgressions," but rather a repeated, intentional, calculated effort. And all power to him if that's what he wants, but I don't think there is any reasonable expectation of privacy at this point.

Of course it isn't, since when has who is shagging who ever been a public interest matter. Infidelity is a legal and civil matter between man and wife, it has nothing to do with joe public.

C) By posting to his website (if we assume it's actually him creating the messages) instead of holding a press conference, Tiger makes it crystal clear that he is spineless, which I don't think should surprise anyone in the first place; he hides behind teams of lawyers and has a very self-righteous, superficial manner of speech when he does interviews that gives him the false image of untouchability. It's a little unnerving to me and it seems clear that he has nothing of substance to say when he's facing the music.

Or maybe he is trying to repair his life, instead of constantly answering the same barrage of questions over and over again. All that bringing things into the public realm does is heaps further misery upon his family.

Golfers never made it very high on my list of people to respect, primarily because they tend to simply be rich kids who's dad's started them on the golf course 4 times/day since they were able to walk. Sports like football better echo the trials of life: some people have what it takes, some don't; those that do still have to decide if they're going to put in the effort without any promise of success. Golf, and baseball to some extent, subverts that reality.

What a load of rubbish, football players are amongst the biggest load of overpayed primadonnas in existence.

It was said the the pga would have basically told him to leave if he didnt do it himself. Him takinga break is much better because he w is not getting thrown out of the PGA. They would have thrown him out due to something like unsportsman like conduct or something like that.

Tiger Woods had no choice. He had to do this so that he could possibly come back later.

Oh darn... the guy got laid. I say who gives a rat's ass.

As for his getting laid being called "cheating"... that's between him and his wife.

For all I know, she was getting some on the side, too. The bottom line here is:

I'm not part of that family, SO IT'S NONE OF MY DAMN BUSINESS.

These bitches wouldn't be coming out of the woodwork if the media would stay

the hell out of people's personal lives. Arg. Not to mention that these bitches

KNEW he was married... which makes them just as guilty of "cheating" as he

is... and yet the media is portraying them as the poor, poor women that got

caught up in this. ARG.

Yeah, I am making an assumption, I am sure he is putting a multi million dollar a year job on hold just for the sake of it :rolleyes:
He makes over $100 million a year from endorsements. His golf earnings mean little.
Of course it isn't, since when has who is shagging who ever been a public interest matter. Infidelity is a legal and civil matter between man and wife, it has nothing to do with joe public.
Um, in case you haven't been paying attention, it's very much a public interest matter. And adultery is a felony crime in certain states (ridiculous, yes, but illustrates the historical, and continuing, interest in this kind of stuff). This also ignores the likelihood that he was driving drunk, which the public has an interest in investigating.
Or maybe he is trying to repair his life, instead of constantly answering the same barrage of questions over and over again. All that bringing things into the public realm does is heaps further misery upon his family.
I haven't seen Tiger answer a single question about this. And don't blame the public for bringing misery to his family; that's Tiger's work alone.
What a load of rubbish, football players are amongst the biggest load of overpayed primadonnas in existence.
No, baseball players are the most overpayed primadonnas. And don't let a few bad seeds like Randy Moss taint what is, without question, a group of the most skilled and gifted athletes in the world.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but it's unreasonable to suggest that this is all a private matter and should be left out of public scrutiny. Especially for people already in the public eye. And yes, there is a double-standard. It comes with the turf.

There's no way the media will let this one slip. Especially since he's managed to get a gagging order on the British press (which will mean they will want to story even more now).

it will slip once the next big story happens. it took a few weeks for the michael jackson thing to go away, this won't be any different.

I agree. What the media has done to Tiger is just wrong. They are little better than the National Enquirer, running around spreading rumors on who is sleeping with who. This is between Tiger and his wife, not between Tiger and the world. The only people that are interested in this are perverts.

He makes over $100 million a year from endorsements. His golf earnings mean little.

Of course they do :rolleyes:

Um, in case you haven't been paying attention, it's very much a public interest matter. And adultery is a felony crime in certain states (ridiculous, yes, but illustrates the historical, and continuing, interest in this kind of stuff). This also ignores the likelihood that he was driving drunk, which the public has an interest in investigating.

And his driving has what exactly to do with his sex life? I think you will find that the 2 issues are being interlinked here, and really whether adultery is a felony crime or not is totally irrelevant. Unless a felony is committed against a public entity, it is still a private matter and nothing to do with the public. Don't kid yourself that this is somehow justice, it is nothing more than a bunch of bloodthirsty morons that want to savour in the destruction of an individual because they are jealous of him.

I haven't seen Tiger answer a single question about this. And don't blame the public for bringing misery to his family; that's Tiger's work alone.

So bloody what, like I said it's his business, not yours. And yes, he has brought misery to them, but tell me what exactly is to be gained from spreading the sordid deals all over the papers?

No, baseball players are the most overpayed primadonnas. And don't let a few bad seeds like Randy Moss taint what is, without question, a group of the most skilled and gifted athletes in the world.

Who the hell is Randy Moss? You are aware that I was actually referring to real football, and not the abomination that is American football, right?

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but it's unreasonable to suggest that this is all a private matter and should be left out of public scrutiny. Especially for people already in the public eye. And yes, there is a double-standard. It comes with the turf.

No, what is unreasonable is that people like you are somehow arrogant enough to assume that someone's private life, regardless of how famous they are, is actually any of their business.