Forum shuffle/reordering completed

Wasn't the Linux section above the Mac section before?

Yes, it was. Having the Mac section above the Linux section now does make sense - pretty sure there are more Mac users than Linux users on Neowin.

Yes, it was. Having the Mac section above the Linux section now does make sense - pretty sure there are more Mac users than Linux users on Neowin.

Or at least there are more posts in the Mac section than in the Linux section.

It's not really a problem, but should Press Clippings have its own forum? It looks pretty bad scrolling down and seeing last posts from today over and over again, then Press Clippings where there hasn't been a post since October, so I think maybe that would be better as a sub-forum again?

It's not really a problem, but should Press Clippings have its own forum? It looks pretty bad scrolling down and seeing last posts from today over and over again, then Press Clippings where there hasn't been a post since October, so I think maybe that would be better as a sub-forum again?

I think it should be seperate, as it is (Y)

P.S. You have 666 posts. You scare me.

This shuffle doesn't change much, so no protest. What I would like to see is an improved search, as an on site search function would be more convenient than using google all the time.

Not complaining, but I had some suggestions...

Could Windows 7 Support (and possibly Windows Vista Support and Windows XP Support) be placed above Windows Beta Discussion and Windows Live Software & Services?

Maybe move Press Clippings to Neowin Related Discussion? Sort of seems like the odd one out in Member Submitted News & Reviews.

Raising Sony Console above Nintendo Console, since it has more replies and views? Same with The Media Room (and possibly Sporting Arena) over The Neobahn.

A new name for Help & Discussion Centre? All the sections are for help and discussion really.

This shuffle doesn't change much, so no protest. What I would like to see is an improved search, as an on site search function would be more convenient than using google all the time.

Scroll over Control Panel then click Search :huh:

such a cool idea, who will be the first to start the stamp collecting thread! :p :rofl:

The 'Hobby Corner' is one example of the administration reacting quickly to member suggestions. Grunt suggested it on IRC after Neobond had linked to this thread; Neobond promptly added the forum.

How do I know? I saw it happen live on IRC.

The 'Hobby Corner' is one example of the administration reacting quickly to member suggestions. Grunt suggested it on IRC after Neobond had linked to this thread; Neobond promptly added the forum.

How do I know? I saw it happen live on IRC.

I need to get on IRC more! to see this stuff go down! :p

Great news! Much better than before and much needed attention for the gamers here on Neowin!

I'm at a total loss for how this makes navigating the gaming forums easier. It just means clicking through more pages.

I'm at a total loss for how this makes navigating the gaming forums easier. It just means clicking through more pages.

You mean less? To access what, the Nintendo console section, you click the link for that section, loading one single page. Before you (taking the default route) had to take two. Unless you clicked the tiny link in the bottom which makes it the same.

There's no difference in the number of pages you click through. :huh:

I think this is just a simple misunderstanding about the way we browse the forums.

For me I like to just read Gamers Hangout and Microsoft, as that's what I'm interested in, but it could be GH and PC n Sony, or any other combination. But I always liked how before you could go to the GH, scroll through that forum, and then open the sub forums in new tabs. I think Larry explained it better in the other thread:

Not just you I just noticed this too. I used to love just going to the main GH, then seeing the other sections straight from there and seeing the "hot topic" of those sections so to speak and just being able to go to the sections from there. It was especially valuable for me when I was a Mod of that section actually. Now we need to go to Gamer Support, which has no topics in it so quite frankly I would never really go to it, and that is the only way to see the other sections.

It almost seems like there is an extra section for no reason and we need to click twice instead of once, meaning that Gamer Support should just be Gamers Hangout, unless Gamer Support will eventually have topics and posts in it?

Also it depends if you're someone who browses the entire forum, i.e. neowin.net/forum. Or if you're someone like me who just likes to browse the gaming stuff mainly. I think Wasted Joker suggested that if we could have links to the gaming subforums in the new GH, that'd fix it. But I can't see that happening as it brings a level of inconsistency to the forums for just a few users who like it the old way.

Do you see how I mean now? (that really isn't as argumentative as it sounds, I hate arguing on Neowin, just trying to get my point across).

EDIT:

Sethos also explains it well:

Must admit I hate this "Gamer Support" layout. I loved hitting "Gamer's Hangout", sort of like a staging area and then you had

access to all the other sections on top, very convenient. Now I need to browse every section separately, feels like a very disconnected

experience. It's not even a change that makes sense, just a massive step down.

Edited by Smashing Pumpkin

I noticed when it changed, I just didn't want to mention it. :(

Personally I have no opinion on it, but I'm sure some people will see benefits in it. ;]