Wrapper chain in running for top record

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., Dec. 22 (UPI) -- A Virginia world record holder said he is working on expanding the world's longest gum wrapper chain and campaigning for Guinness' top stunt of the decade.

Gary Duschl of Virginia Beach, whose gum wrapper chain was named the world's longest in 1995 and has grown steadily every year since, said his project, last measured Dec. 11 at 1,462,066 links and more than 11 miles long, was chosen by Guinness World Records as one of the 10 finalists for top stunt of the decade, The (Norfolk) Virginian-Pilot reported Tuesday.

Duschl said he expects his competitors for the title, including a sword swallower and a man who holds rattlesnakes in his mouth, to give him a tough run.

"Mine is probably tame by comparison," he said.

The record holder said he is urging people to vote for him on the Guinness Web site and has created a

explaining his stunt and revealing his technique behind gum wrapper chain creation.

Duschl said he is also working on solidifying his chain's position as the world's longest by setting a "marathon" length goal: 26 miles.

Source

Official Page

I really really REALLY hate stupid records like this. Guinness REALLY need to put their foot down and stop handing out records to stupid things and reserve their award for truly remarkable acheivements.

I really really REALLY hate stupid records like this. Guinness REALLY need to put their foot down and stop handing out records to stupid things and reserve their award for truly remarkable acheivements.

<Shrug> To THIS guy, it is remarkable. When I hear that someone waited X amount of time before pulling their

chute for a record, I can't help but think how stupid they were. To each their own. An aunt of mine used to collect

salt and pepper shakers... and had a following for it. While I might agree a specific goal may sound stupid, I don't

agree that any individual is the supreme authority on what constitutes a "waste of time" or "remarkable achievement".

P.S.

Let me clarify something... this is NOT the Nobel Peace Prize, folks. Guinness doesn't hand out a "Most Pepper Shakers"

award to someone that runs really fast, for example. It's a collection of records, that is all. You break the record, you get

the credit. The folks handing out the Nobel Prizes, however... now THAT system is a freakin waste.

I totally agree with you.