New to photography

Well, I wanted to try something new and I've always been interested in photography, but never really got the time to get into it. I've been saving up for a while now (around 500$) but this time, I decided not to throw it away on a computer upgrade.

I have an old DSC-F717 (wasn't really mine) but I'm not really sure there's much I can do with it, I mean, if I really am interested.

So, do you think I should keep it? Experiment a bit with it. Or maybe sell it and use the money to get an even better camera? Also, what about the lens? Should I just worry about that later?

Edit: I've read a fair share of entry-level DSLR reviews and none seem to mention Sony? I'll probably go with a Canon, or a D3000 maybe but I'd still like to know if Sony is worth considering. I just checked out the α330 and I must say, it does "look" appealing.

2nd edit: Well, I couldn't get my uncle to buy the camera for me, he'd already left. So, I started looking again. I also got the chance to mess around with my F717. The thing is, I probably won't be getting another DSLR and I was wondering if I should look into mid-range DSLR cameras? The T1i, or the D5000? I realize I'm a beginner and that I'm probably better off with a D3000 but I looked at some image samples and the difference is noticeable. I know I don't need the extra couple of megapixels but I could use high-def video and live view (with the tilting LCD).

Edited by Bassem

Well, I wanted to try something new and I've always been interested in photography, but never really got the time to get into it. I've been saving up for a while now (around 500$) but this time, I decided not to throw it away on a computer upgrade.

I have an old DSC-F717 (wasn't really mine) but I'm not really sure there's much I can do with it, I mean, if I really am interested.

So, do you think I should keep it? Experiment a bit with it. Or maybe sell it and use the money to get an even better camera? Also, what about the lens? Should I just worry about that later?

Kudos.

It quite depends upon the type of photography you intend to do ... for that money and a bit more you could potentially get a Nikon D40 or similar Canon with a kit lens which would provide more flexibility than a point and shoot.

Personally I'd put my initial money into a Nikon with a 18-200 VR lens (or similar Canon) initially and see how you go.

You'll likely want to eventually look into a Canon or Nikon digital SLR and some lenses if you're semi-serious.

It's really worthwhile to know as well as possible in advance what you're purchasing and why though.

I think a great way to start is to actually use something like the DSC-F717 and stretch it to its limits as best you can.

In the process you'll discover what lacking features you'd most want in something else you'd do. For what you do, you might most want wide angles, or zoom, or low light, etc. A camera like that also forces you to develop your own creativity rather than the camera always making things look good for you.

Anyway, I'd use what you already have to find ways to work around limitations and to discover which limits matter most to you.

And do keep in mind if you really like photography, that $500 might get you started with a decent SLR and a 50mm lens or something, but you are likely to want to add other things as time goes on (tripod, wide angle / zoom lenses, external flash, etc. etc.)....

Kudos.

It quite depends upon the type of photography you intend to do ... for that money and a bit more you could potentially get a Nikon D40 or similar Canon with a kit lens which would provide more flexibility than a point and shoot.

Personally I'd put my initial money into a Nikon with a 18-200 VR lens (or similar Canon) initially and see how you go.

My cousin just got the D3000 for 500$, exactly. How is it different from the D40? What do I need to look for to see which one I need?

You'll likely want to eventually look into a Canon or Nikon digital SLR and some lenses if you're semi-serious.

It's really worthwhile to know as well as possible in advance what you're purchasing and why though.

I think a great way to start is to actually use something like the DSC-F717 and stretch it to its limits as best you can.

In the process you'll discover what lacking features you'd most want in something else you'd do. For what you do, you might most want wide angles, or zoom, or low light, etc. A camera like that also forces you to develop your own creativity rather than the camera always making things look good for you.

Anyway, I'd use what you already have to find ways to work around limitations and to discover which limits matter most to you.

And do keep in mind if you really like photography, that $500 might get you started with a decent SLR and a 50mm lens or something, but you are likely to want to add other things as time goes on (tripod, wide angle / zoom lenses, external flash, etc. etc.)....

The DSC-F717 is a decent camera and I'd like to "stretch it" to its limits but the thing is, I need to make a decision before my uncle comes back from Canada. The only way I can get a DSLR for a reasonable price is if he buys it for me.

Thanks! =)

You can look at Canon EOS 1000D since its a pretty good entry level DSLR. It comes with live view too which is lacking in Nikon D3000 but I believe Nikon D3000 scores above Canon EOS 1000D in many ways like D3000 has 11 point AF where as EOS 1000D has 7 point AF

You can look at Canon EOS 1000D since its a pretty good entry level DSLR. It comes with live view too which is lacking in Nikon D3000 but I believe Nikon D3000 scores above Canon EOS 1000D in many ways like D3000 has 11 point AF where as EOS 1000D has 7 point AF

The D3000 is perfect for my budget and it does have some good reviews but I'm still looking around.

live view's useless. I've used it like 10 times in 18 months. Don't make that a selling a point when it's not!

I wouldn't say completely useless, but probably not a selling point when it comes to dSLR cameras, yes.

Would anyone recommend a Sony?

?

Would anyone recommend a Sony?

I have a Sony Alpha A200 and I have no problems with it, however I've seen the new A230 and A330 and they seem smaller and more "plasticky" than their A200 A300 predecesors, I see that as a con but you may not.

The cameras take very nice pictures comparable with similar models from other manufacturers, they do have a bit of high ISO noise but it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be (The CMOS A500, A550 and A700 are even better on this).

HOWEVER, A330 vs D3000 without having any previous lenses I'd go with the D3000 (if they're both the same price). I'd even go with the A230 instead of the A330 since it has a bigger viewfinder and you'll use that more than the live view (which the A230 doesn't have) and it's otherwise the same thing.

Here's a gallery of A200 pics, it has the same sensor as the A330: http://www.flickr.com/photos/argote/sets/72157622085063443/

Feel free to ask more questions.

?

I have a Sony Alpha A200 and I have no problems with it, however I've seen the new A230 and A330 and they seem smaller and more "plasticky" than their A200 A300 predecesors, I see that as a con but you may not.

The cameras take very nice pictures comparable with similar models from other manufacturers, they do have a bit of high ISO noise but it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be (The CMOS A500, A550 and A700 are even better on this).

HOWEVER, A330 vs D3000 without having any previous lenses I'd go with the D3000 (if they're both the same price). I'd even go with the A230 instead of the A330 since it has a bigger viewfinder and you'll use that more than the live view (which the A230 doesn't have) and it's otherwise the same thing.

Here's a gallery of A200 pics, it has the same sensor as the A330: http://www.flickr.com/photos/argote/sets/72157622085063443/

Feel free to ask more questions.

Yeah, I read about the noise issue, I guess that's why most people stay away from Sony. I will consider the A230 though.

Well, I've narrowed it down to the D3000, Rebel XS (or D1000), it's basically a matter of preference when it comes to Nikon or Canon. I still don't know what to look for in a DSLR though, ISO, AF?

Thanks for bearing with me. =)

As I've said, the noise is not really that bad, D3000 vs XS I'd go with the D3000 hands down. The only situation where picking hte XS makes sense is having a Canon lens collection and needing a really cheap body.

As I've said, the noise is not really that bad, D3000 vs XS I'd go with the D3000 hands down. The only situation where picking hte XS makes sense is having a Canon lens collection and needing a really cheap body.

Yes, that's why I said I'd consider the a230. So, it's either that or the D3000?

Thanks again.

i would still get a d40 before i got a d3000, here is a comparison rockwell did between the twos different iso settings

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3000/hig...-comparison.htm

also i have held the 3000 and my 40 just seems more comfy in my hand, could just be me though. and as mentioned before you can probably still get a new d40 dual lens kit for around the same price as the 3000 single lens kit if you just search around.

Edited by Jme621

i would still get a d40 before i got a d3000, here is a comparison rockwell did between the twos different iso settings

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3000/hig...-comparison.htm

That comparison is failing to take into account that the D40 is a 6MP camera while the D3000 is a 10MP camera, if you took the D3000 image and downscaled it to 6MP then much of this noise he noticed would be gone (I'd go as far as saying that it'd be better).

That comparison is failing to take into account that the D40 is a 6MP camera while the D3000 is a 10MP camera, if you took the D3000 image and downscaled it to 6MP then much of this noise he noticed would be gone (I'd go as far as saying that it'd be better).

I'll probably stick with the D3000, not sure I need the 10MP but still. Plus, the new guide mode looks cool.

there is more wrong with it, here is full review he did

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3000.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I couldn't get my uncle to buy the camera for me, he'd already left. So, I started looking again. I also got the chance to mess around with my F717. The thing is, I probably won't be getting another DSLR and I was wondering if I should look into mid-range DSLR cameras? The T1i, or the D5000? I realize I'm a beginner and that I'm probably better off with a D3000 but I looked at some image samples and the difference is noticeable. I know I don't need the extra couple of megapixels but I could use high-def video and live view (with the tilting LCD).

Edited by Bassem

How about Nikon's D5000, I heard pretty good reviews on it. Should have everything you need + Movie Recording as a Bonus!

^

Well, I couldn't get my uncle to buy the camera for me, he'd already left. So, I started looking again. I also got the chance to mess around with my F717. The thing is, I probably won't be getting another DSLR and I was wondering if I should look into mid-range DSLR cameras? The T1i, or the D5000? I realize I'm a beginner and that I'm probably better off with a D3000 but I looked at some image samples and the difference is noticeable. I know I don't need the extra couple of megapixels but I could use high-def video and live view (with the tilting LCD).

Should've edited the topic.

I wouldn't source Ken Rockwell...the guy is in his own la-la land and generally irritates most photographers. k-rock :(

Why is that? I generally don't read anything of his due to the bad rep he has, but I've never really found any problems with the stuff that I have read.