64/32-bit for 2010

64/32  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Processor

• 64-bit
    • 32-bit

64-bit since Windows XP x64.

@The_Decryptor: I think it's more laziness and ignorance than it is the hardware. 64-bit capable CPUs have been out for years now. They'd have to have quite old hardware indeed to use that as a valid excuse.

^^ 64bit is impressively supported now with some minor variations in that statement. I like it. (Y)

Both my Desktop (3yr old CPU) and Laptop (new) both have Win7 64bit. :)

I was fixing a problem with a friend's laptop which had 64bit Vista on it. I was really impressed with the level of support now. Back on XP64bit, there was really none. I don't know about now, I would only assume it's there.

64bit FTW!!

Win 7 x64 bit on this, 32 bit on the other. Since its not a 64 bit CPU. Could put a 64 bit OS on the AMD socket 754, but nah. I'll leave XP on it

My parents have a system I built, used to be my old NF3 250GB that I got 64bit Win7 for them for Christmas. It runs decently, although I need to put more ram on it for them up to 4gig at least, only has 1gig atm.

I'm not surprised to see the balance of the votes to be honest, in a technology based community you would imagine most users are on the better architecture (64).

In time everyone will be on 64 because they'll get a new PC with it on. I was on 32 bit until August and I've found 64 bit is a lot better but doesn't have much of an impact on what you already do on 32 bit. No lose situation to upgrade, the only way you'll lose is if you have less than 4GB RAM.

Wow, suprised to see so many 64-bits. I did go 64 bit when xp x64 came out (2004-2005 i think it was) but couldnt get used to it. Tempted to go 64-but now everybody else is

Why be tempted? Just do it, I did after I saw the 64bit on my friend's laptop. I didn't know 64 had gone mainstream.

No lose situation to upgrade, the only way you'll lose is if you have less than 4GB RAM.
How is that a loss? I have 2 GB of RAM on a 64-bit version of Windows 7. I haven't lost anything. I use Photoshop, Office, and video encoding tools concurrently without any paging to virtual memory.

How is that a loss? I have 2 GB of RAM on a 64-bit version of Windows 7. I haven't lost anything. I use Photoshop, Office, and video encoding tools concurrently without any paging to virtual memory.

i think he meant it the other way around, if u had more than 3 GB of ram on a 32-bit windows u'll loose the extra gigs :D

32 bit as i have some older hardware attached to the PC

One day will go all the way but no need for now.

I dont see how 64bit will improve my life and love life or my car so until the time comes that 64 bit can, im happy for now.

Definitely 64 Bits since I have 4+GB Ram or 4GB Ram on all my recent machines! And Windows 7 is really stable, so definitely recommend for people who still ponders if they should switch or not (or to upgrade their computer).

CPU is 64-bit compatible, but I installed a 32-bit version of Windows 7. When I build a new computer later this year, I'm hoping to go fully 64-bit so I can use more RAM.

So, yes for the thread title, and yes for the poll.

I was on 64-bit during the Windows 7 BETA... but changed back to 32-bit due to printer compatibility issues.

My printer had a 64-bit driver, but I just couldn't get any multifunction features to work, print only driver.

Very poor support from EPSON, it's an early 2009 model multifunction printer.

I'll give it another year or two... next time I format my PC, I'll change to 64-bit. I've got Windows 7 Ultimate.. no drama :)

I am on 64-bit.

If you are buying a new system, I don't see why you should stay on 32-Bit as that's like buying a non-digital TV these days.

But then again, I haven't noticed a total increase of speed or many-programs-open-at-once performance increase. Then again, I like being up to date where I can and a lot of software I suspect will ween out 32-Bit compatability starting this year over the next few years.

no point living in the past ay... 64bit on laptop and desktop, it's stupid that oem machines dont come with 64 bit yet still advertise how much ram... even though it's not being utilized