Relaunch of Neowin.net Friday Jan 15th 2010

there has to be more than can be pruned, 1 post wonders and topics that will never need to be used ever again

But I AM EXCITED!!!!!!! weeee :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Pruning is a bad idea unless it's vitally needed. I've visited forums I haven't logged in on for 5+ years, it's nice knowing they still have my account.

Pruning is a bad idea unless it's vitally needed. I've visited forums I haven't logged in on for 5+ years, it's nice knowing they still have my account.

I meant the ones the staff "Know" are useless, The upgrade is going to kill old urls to posts and such as well, so if there are any outside sites linking to old yet useful topics, their links won't work anymore, but bad useless stuff could get cut away

Good Luck! I really cannot wait! Not long now :)

What is theoretically the server has a power failure or something during the upgrade and you was close to finishing? Would you have to start again or would it carry on from where it left off? 2 days to convert :cry: Can't go without Neowin that long!

However long the downtime will be - it's going to be worth the wait. Those who've had the chance to test Atlas will agree.

During the upgrade there's always IRC.

Good Luck! I really cannot wait! Not long now :)

What is theoretically the server has a power failure or something during the upgrade and you was close to finishing? Would you have to start again or would it carry on from where it left off? 2 days to convert :cry: Can't go without Neowin that long!

The conversion itself for the forums is going to be around 5-6 hrs maybe, but there are other things they need to do besides that, I doubt it will be 2 days unless something goes wrong

Edited by Phantom Helix

I meant the ones the staff "Know" are useless, The upgrade is going to kill old urls to posts and such as well, so if there are any outside sites linking to old yet useful topics, their links won't work anymore, but bad useless stuff could get cut away

I hope old URLs aren't killed! Upgrading shouldn't destroy the historic topics/posts :s

However long the downtime will be - it's going to be worth the wait. Those who've had the chance to test Atlas will agree.

During the upgrade there's always IRC.

I agree. Looking forward to the upgrade, and I hope it all goes very smoothly.

I hope old URLs aren't killed! Upgrading shouldn't destroy the historic topics/posts :s

I won't do that. The URLs won't change.

My birthday is the 15th.. I don't think its a coincidence ;) Thanks guys ;)

Looking forward to the all new Neowin! Lost count of how many redesigns I've been through with this place now! :)

Well maybe it is a setting but the urls for topics and such are not the same format they currently look like this

www.neowin.net/forum/forum-6/announcement-2-this-is-an-announcement/

they would get converted I assume

It won't destroy anything, I just meant if there are other sites that have articles or whatnot and have linked back to neowin those links won't work anymore

Well maybe it is a setting but the urls for topics and such are not the same format they currently look like this

www.neowin.net/forum/forum-6/announcement-2-this-is-an-announcement/

they would get converted I assume

It won't destroy anything, I just meant if there are other sites that have articles or whatnot and have linked back to neowin those links won't work anymore

I just found this from Invision Power Services.

Redirecting 'old style' links

Another concern was that the old style links, for example: index.php?showtopic=10, are still able to access pages. This is necessary so that you do not lose bookmarks or traffic from currently indexed links. You can now choose to redirect with an optional "301 Moved Permanently" header to the new link format. This is transparent to the end user but will help search engines locate the correct copy of your content.

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/11...l-enhancements/

My birthday is the 15th.. I don't think its a coincidence ;) Thanks guys ;)

Looking forward to the all new Neowin! Lost count of how many redesigns I've been through with this place now! :)

Don't forget the two days down time. So it arrives on the 17th. :)

Happy early birthday though amigo.. I'm on the 17th.

Wow. I can't wait to finally see the new version. I will be subscribing the day it goes live on the 17th again! YAY! Can't wait for this.

It would be excellent if they had one or more two things for subscribers due to this update :yes:

Just to alleviate the confusion. Is the relaunch on the 15th, but it's coming up on the 17th.. right?

Good point. In that case, it would go down on Wednesday ready for the Friday re-launch.