Now it's...global freezing

I saw a Nova Documentary on those two effects.... they are working for and against each other.

One guy had an interesting example- Picture a room with an air conditioner on one side of the room and a heater running on the other both turned on Max. Eventually they will come to a point where they would level out. Though at times one would work harder than the other.

The same documentary said "in the weeks following 9-11 when there were no airplanes flying over New York City- the temperature rose 3 degrees., but as soon as the flights resumed- it lowered- This is due to the pollution blocking the sun versus not. " (not my opinion but makes sense)

I do feel that we do have both , cooling and warming - but in the same stand I do think the Earth has its own natural cycles.

Though the time has come that we should start making our own changes - for example we should go back to glass for liquid products. Mainly because it takes less resources to recycle them. unlike plastic that when recycled it can produce in most cases a toxic gas. Not to mention the plastic eventually breaks down into pellets and can finds its way into fish and birds. As well as with glass it will finally break back down into natural sand.

This is all part of the Climate Change Effects from planet pollution.

while it was snowing in Florida the other day it was 19c in Anchorage, Alaska. If that isn't odd then I don't know what is.

you know, its not always -50 with 10 feet of snow in alaska like you see in the movies. Just like how its not always 90 and sunny in florida.

This "article" gets the science and facts completely wrong.

A localized phenomenon isn't important, it's the global average climate that matters.

As a counter example: Seattle is having the warmest winter I remember, and every year we set record high temps in the summer (I wouldn't be surprised if we hit one today, 59F in January!).

erm, no you don't set a record every year for high temps. I live in Wa too, and know very well that winters have NOT changed all too much in the last ten years. Well, accept for my hometown getting more snow last year that it has since 1953.

*yawn* The media will go to any length to sell papers and draw eyeballs.

Maybe they realised it was meaningless.

Although I'm sure some people will be clinging to it.

Probably those foul "creationists" along with the slimy "deniers" and their heresies. Funny how emotionally attached to the whole climate change thing people get. Why?

One could only wish that was true, as here weve had the best winter in yeeeeeaaars. Like constant -10 celsius and lots of snow for about 2 months now, while every previous winter was... well, mostly raining.

But in other news - Day After Tomorrow - here we come! :D

Maybe they realised it was meaningless.

Although I'm sure some people will be clinging to it.

probably because people started applying a seldom used analysis technique and read the email.

The world has entered a 'cold mode' which is likely to bring a global dip in temperatures which will last for 20 to 30 years, they say.

Bah humbug. I'm not sure I believe any of this global climate stuff any more.

Bah humbug. I'm not sure I believe any of this global climate stuff any more.

Exactly, a bunch of scientists are saying "this" and another bunch of scientists are saying "that". I think they really don't have clue what's going on at all.

This is the planets attempt to repair itself. History has shown that as temperatures increase, there will be a brief cold period before they continue on their upward trend.

No need to say anything more! :)

Exactly, a bunch of scientists are saying "this" and another bunch of scientists are saying "that". I think they really don't have clue what's going on at all.

Not quite. The problem is that people are looking at magazines, t.v., and other popular media for their 'science' information. These are the last places you should be looking. You have to realize that when these popular media present this information, it comes with a certain biased commentary. To get the real, unbiased, objective data, you are going to have to look at a science journal and read it from the scientists publishing it. When you look at the original publications, you get the raw data for you to interpret instead of having someone interpret it for you. Unfortunately, most people aren't willing to read a scientific journal.

Al Gore's documentary really irritated me for several reasons. The first reason that documentary irritated me was that Al Gore used the U.N. report for the basis of his documentary. However, the U.N. report named beef cattle as the biggest carbon emitter. Al Gore makes no mention whatsoever of the beef cattle in his documentary. The other reason that documentary irritated me was his graph showing the relationship between temperature and carbon dioxide. Mr. Gore notes that when CO2 is up the temperature is up and when CO2 is down the temperature is down. He then tells the audience that the relationship between carbon dioxide and temperature is 'complicated'. What he fails to convey is that carbon dioxide actually lags behind temperature by about 300 years. That's right. Carbon dioxide is a consequence of temperature and not the other way around. It's oceanography 101. Cold water absorbs gases while warm water releases gases. It takes about 300 years for the oceans to completely react (by warming or cooling) to the atmospheric temperature change.

Ugh, please do your research.

Cattle don't emit CO2. They emit methane, another greenhouse gas.

CO2 is both a by-product of warming AND a cause. The whole point of being concerned about global warming is that if we get enough carbon in the atmosphere (or anything that causes global temperature to rise), the temperature will rise enough to create a positive feedback loop - where the release of CO2 from melting ice (and release of other greenhouse gases such as methane from the bogs in syberia) will raise the temperature, releasing more carbon, which raises the temperature further, which causes more carbon to be released, which raises the temperature further... and so on.

This is what has happened in the past several times. But there are periods (like right now) of a stable global climate. The scientific consensus is that past warming periods were sparked by specific triggers. These triggers themselves didn't directly cause the great warming or cooling periods, but merely tipped the scales and started a positive feedback loop. Triggers include things like shifting / reversing of the Earth's magnetic field, changes in solar activity, meteor impacts, etc.

The great fear with global warming is that human contributions to atmospheric pollution will become such a trigger. Those contributions on their own aren't going to devastate our way of life, but if they start a chain reaction of heating and carbon-release, the effects could be cataclysmic.

Localised flood warnings in Warwickshire as the snow melts :rolleyes:

It usually floods pretty bad where I live from light rain so i am screwed :p

Though the time has come that we should start making our own changes - for example we should go back to glass for liquid products. Mainly because it takes less resources to recycle them. unlike plastic that when recycled it can produce in most cases a toxic gas. Not to mention the plastic eventually breaks down into pellets and can finds its way into fish and birds. As well as with glass it will finally break back down into natural sand.[/i]

I agree about plastic vs glass...

erm, no you don't set a record every year for high temps. I live in Wa too, and know very well that winters have NOT changed all too much in the last ten years. Well, accept for my hometown getting more snow last year that it has since 1953.

We hit record highs all the time.

2007 March:

http://www.newscloud.com/read/Seattle_Brea...oday?skipSplash

2007 May:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/315821_weather16.html

2008 June (tied record):

http://www.kirotv.com/news/16725795/detail.html

2009 (hottest day on record):

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca..._webhot29m.html

Got to run so can't keep looking for more, but some of those articles mention areas which were beating records set in 2003 and so on.

Ugh, please do your research.

Cattle don't emit CO2. They emit methane, another greenhouse gas.

CO2 is both a by-product of warming AND a cause. The whole point of being concerned about global warming is that if we get enough carbon in the atmosphere (or anything that causes global temperature to rise), the temperature will rise enough to create a positive feedback loop - where the release of CO2 from melting ice (and release of other greenhouse gases such as methane from the bogs in syberia) will raise the temperature, releasing more carbon, which raises the temperature further, which causes more carbon to be released, which raises the temperature further... and so on.

This is what has happened in the past several times. But there are periods (like right now) of a stable global climate. The scientific consensus is that past warming periods were sparked by specific triggers. These triggers themselves didn't directly cause the great warming or cooling periods, but merely tipped the scales and started a positive feedback loop. Triggers include things like shifting / reversing of the Earth's magnetic field, changes in solar activity, meteor impacts, etc.

The great fear with global warming is that human contributions to atmospheric pollution will become such a trigger. Those contributions on their own aren't going to devastate our way of life, but if they start a chain reaction of heating and carbon-release, the effects could be cataclysmic.

My apologies for getting one tidbit of information wrong. The rest of my post still stands.