Good time to buy?

I am starting classes at my university in my digital media minor, so I am using that as good motivation to finally get a DSLR.

So I ask you neowinians,

Is it a good time/idea to get a Canon T1i?

Any comments on the T1i?

Thanks

I'd say it really depends on what you want, if you are looking for entry level then right now the T1i is probably the cream of the crop for the price, but i'm sure the next in the series will be along sometime this spring so you may want to wait until then for price drops on the T1i. I got mine on boxing day in Canada, it was the T1i with kit lens, lowepro bag, extra battery and uv filter for $780, which isn't too bad of a deal (although the US has had some better deals)

If you need it for class, get it now. There's ALWAYS something new just around the corner, especially with the entry level cameras. Those things seem to get updated every 10 months compared to 2 years for the pro lvl gear.

as people have told me, you can buy any type of body. 10MP is more than enough. If on budget you could really get an XS or XSi kit for a lower price, and grab a new lens with it. But I own the T1i and it's my first.. got it on sale so.. it's really up to you.

If you need it for class, get it now. There's ALWAYS something new just around the corner, especially with the entry level cameras. Those things seem to get updated every 10 months compared to 2 years for the pro lvl gear.

I don't "need" it for class, but I'm using class as a way to rationalize the $700 expenditure :)

I know at some schools, you can borrow a lot of camera equipment that would normally be really expensive to buy. If that's the case for you, I might hold off on buying just so that you can take advantage of what the school has and save some money.

If you want to go for a Canon, then yes, get a T1i. I've seen many reviews pointing out to the Nikon D5000 being slightly better (and the best choice in entry-level right now), but that would be a matter of personal preference and what gear your friends have available for you to borrow (I use the Sony system myself and the Alpha 550 would be the equivalent to the T1i/D5000).

If you want to go for a Canon, then yes, get a T1i. I've seen many reviews pointing out to the Nikon D5000 being slightly better (and the best choice in entry-level right now), but that would be a matter of personal preference and what gear your friends have available for you to borrow (I use the Sony system myself and the Alpha 550 would be the equivalent to the T1i/D5000).