Reputation system enabled & explained

Abuse and people putting others down due to personal distaste, which is not what a messageboard runs on, it runs on posts and topics not people fighting about their hate of each other.

The GH would be terrible for people abusing others for no reason other than "I don't like your opinion".

Have some +1s kind sir :p.

The positive points are open to the same abuse as I have seen openly in this thread I believe, Adding a +1 to someone means nothing if it can't be lost. In its current state (I'm not sure if its due to change) the reputation system is a pointless "Feature"

The positive points are open to the same abuse as I have seen openly in this thread I believe, Adding a +1 to someone means nothing if it can't be lost. In its current state (I'm not sure if its due to change) the reputation system is a pointless "Feature"

Much better positive be abused than negative, I can tell you right now it's bad enough all my topics get voted 1 star by haters but if I had a profile in negative just because of the GH hating/spitefulness, I would not be posting on this board any more.

As I've said about 300x the rep feature is better for guide topics, or topics where you can see a post with a high number to catch your attention, not posts scattered around with 1 or 2 votes.

Much better positive be abused than negative, I can tell you right now it's bad enough all my topics get voted 1 star by haters but if I had a profile in negative just because of the GH hating/spitefulness, I would not be posting on this board any more.

As I've said about 300x the rep feature is better for guide topics, or topics where you can see a post with a high number to catch your attention, not posts scattered around with 1 or 2 votes.

So you would stop posting due to negative reps rather than try and work on it to get positive rep?

So you would stop posting due to negative reps rather than try and work on it to get positive rep?

You don't understand Shaun, I do a lot of positive things on this board, keep posting news articles, post guides, help people, blah blah blah.

In the GH though you just get automatic hate for your opinions and preference, I'd never be able to stay above negative rep. I once had an account with another 10 dupes or something voting my posts 1 star - Don't believe me ask the devs, they dug into the code, found out what was going on and banned everyone of the accounts.

You don't understand Shaun, I do a lot of positive things on this board, keep posting news articles, post guides, help people, blah blah blah.

In the GH though you just get automatic hate for your opinions and preference, I'd never be able to stay above negative rep. I once had an account with another 10 dupes or something voting my posts 1 star - Don't believe me ask the devs, they dug into the code, found out what was going on and banned everyone of the accounts.

Then there isn't much help for you, I think yours is a real issue but still think the positive only rep system is a hollow one and pointless

Then there isn't much help for you, I think yours is a real issue but still think the positive only rep system is a hollow one and pointless

I agree with you and on another board having negative reps might work fine. Here on Neowin, one bad post can get you 100 negative reps as everyone would just keep piling it on. That wouldn't be fair either, not for one bad post.

What on earth does a negative rep add to the whole system? Rep points (as i understand them) are to give an easy indication as to the general opinion of the quality of posts posted. That's all you need to know.

It's not a system to divine someone's popularity. Someone who's an ahole can still give very good advice. With neg rep his/her advice would lost.

People with good reps can also give very bad advice, If they have a high rep the bad advice can be thought of as good advice. People wont know any different as they have an infinite amount of rep. As you don't lose the rep marks someone with 1000+ rep are as respectable as someone with +10

People with good reps can also give very bad advice, If they have a high rep the bad advice can be thought of as good advice. People wont know any different as they have an infinite amount of rep. As you don't lose the rep marks someone with 1000+ rep are as respectable as someone with +10

That's a quite absurd train of thought. In the end it's the one who takes the advice to decide if it was any good. If you're going to have a rep system which floats all over the place that doesn't add nothing to the overall usefulness of reps (which i anyway question).

Just simple straightforward up reps. The changes the same person with higher reps gives good advice are greater than with someone with less reps if you take postcount into consideration.

Someone with high postcount and high rep will be a safer bet than someone with low postcount and high rep.

Negative rep will only pollute with personal issues. On the test site i set up a poll whether a certain forum should be deleted or not. It got me -5 rep balance total after hundreds of views.

Limit the ammount of negative posts 1 person can receive per post? per day? something anyway

What good would that do?

My honest opinion is the rep system is a lot of fun but basically useless. Popular posters will get a lot of reps regardless of if their posts are helpful or not.

• Like 3

I'm not big on reputation voting on any non paid and verified site of any kind. People just make fake accounts for rep, negative or positive.

People who do that are just idiots, but you can usually tell from the quality of their posts if they are genuinely being voted up or not.

Problem is, on a messahe board like this, some of the more prominent members will almost always have one or 2 people who just have it in for them, and would deliberately go around voting their posts down just to spoil their rep, rather than voting posts on actual merit, and due to the large possibility of that, I agree with the way the staff here have implemented the rep system, and the fact that normal members can only give out limited rep points means that they have to actually think about what posts they give rep points to.

This thread still going! :laugh: :whistle:

Basically I've summed it up to be people who want negative rep in it, just themselves want to go around voting people down.

I'd either take advantage to vote up good posts, or do jack ****. I don't know why others can't have that mind sight without being so inane over some apparent need for negative voting.

This board is filled with vindictive ###### that will do a minus-rep headhunt on members they don't like.

Spot on, there's enough hounding to deal with on a frequent basis to have your rep trashed as well, things like that do make you want to pack your bags not due to Neowin, but due to the 'anonymous' dick mongers teaming up on you.

You only have higher rep than me because you post like 6,000 times a day!!!!

He'll dominate the rep system like he has the post count, I figure. He'll have 9 million reps in a few weeks. :D

He'll dominate the rep system like he has the post count, I figure. He'll have 9 million reps in a few weeks. :D

Postcount/reppoints= real rep. I suggest that the dev's put that in automatically? :rofl: