Pentax K-x 12.4MP DSLR

Well I have had the camera a couple of days, so far so good.. I haven't been able to play outside the house yet. A few things I am having issues with and I think it's me, not the camera. The ISO in auto-mode seems to set it's self at like 1600 or more in subtle lighting. The flash should take care of the fill light correct? Also, when using auto mode, and a few other program modes, in dim light, the shutter stays open for about a second. This ruins the image, especially when trying to photograph my nieces who never stop moving. What am I doing wrong here? An example...

4352019805_06bf74626f_b.jpg

For that money why don't you consider a Canon T1i?

Wow, nice camera!! But it's about $200 more.. plus I can get the pentax on a budget friendly no interest payment option..

Wow, nice camera!! But it's about $200 more.. plus I can get the pentax on a budget friendly no interest payment option..

You are right, I don't know why I thought it was cheaper. Never the less for your budget you can get the XSi, that has the DIGIc III image processor, live view and a better selection of lenses:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Rebel-Camera-Body/dp/B0012Y88QQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264969934&sr=8-2

Just a recommendation. In any case Pentax cameras are good, however much of the fame Pentax has comes from the 35mm era (those Pentax were awesome). They are not so great in the digital era.

You are right, I don't know why I thought it was cheaper. Never the less for your budget you can get the XSi, that has the DIGIc III image processor, live view and a better selection of lenses:

http://www.amazon.co...64969934&sr=8-2

Just a recommendation. In any case Pentax cameras are good, however much of the fame Pentax has comes from the 35mm era (those Pentax were awesome). They are not so great in the digital era.

I've actually been mulling over going to 35mm SLR.. Keep this Pentax and use both..

http://www.amazon.co...64969934&sr=8-2

Hmm, didn't he already say he has a couple of lenses for the Pentax system? In that case it makes no sense to move over to another mount unless he'w willing to put some money into it (and, well, he's not).

@OP: What lenses do you currently have?

Hmm, didn't he already say he has a couple of lenses for the Pentax system? In that case it makes no sense to move over to another mount unless he'w willing to put some money into it (and, well, he's not).

@OP: What lenses do you currently have?

I have ...

Tamron LD Di AF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 TELE-MACRO (1:2) A17

Tamron AF Aspherical 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6

Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm

I'd just like to point out a few of the K-x nit-picks for me.

1. Lack of focus confirmation.

2. Way to many issues with the batteries not being detected adequately and in some case not turning on, this even after firmware upgrade.

#2 Was the deal breaker, if you look on photography only forums (DP, Pbase, photo.net) you'll see the issues i'm talking about, so be sure that if you do go down the K-x road, do it from a store that has good reputation for returns.

2. Way to many issues with the batteries not being detected adequately and in some case not turning on, this even after firmware upgrade.

#2 Was the deal breaker, if you look on photography only forums (DP, Pbase, photo.net) you'll see the issues i'm talking about, so be sure that if you do go down the K-x road, do it from a store that has good reputation for returns.

Point taken.. I just hate to invest in another brand and start over with my lens's that I have.. I don't have that many, but they aren't cheap you know?

jbarcus, well you could go with a k-7 although that's along $1000+, again the lack of focus confirmation on the viewfind for the K-x was a real turn off for me... Rant all you want about manual focus, sometimes you just can't be bothered and let autofocus do the work.

One option would be to ebay all your current stuff, see if you get a decent price, then switch to the either Nikon/canon/olympus. which have decent sub $500 entry level cams.

Yeah, the K7 is pretty nice, it's a lot more expensive though. In any case, I think you'll be happy with a KX, I think the white one is ugly but that is personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of focus confirmation? I would like to know what the heck is going on with those cameras.. I just received my K-x yesterday, haven't been able to play with it 100% just yet because of work but... There is a focus confirmation in the form of a "beep" and the focus indicator in the viewfinder.. Not sure what people are talking about here.. Batteries? Fixed with a firmware update, and I've been using the batteries that were in my K110D and still going strong.. taken about 75+ misc. shots. So far I am pleased.. Will know more this weekend of course..

Lack of focus confirmation? I would like to know what the heck is going on with those cameras.. I just received my K-x yesterday, haven't been able to play with it 100% just yet because of work but... There is a focus confirmation in the form of a "beep" and the focus indicator in the viewfinder.. Not sure what people are talking about here.. Batteries? Fixed with a firmware update, and I've been using the batteries that were in my K110D and still going strong.. taken about 75+ misc. shots. So far I am pleased.. Will know more this weekend of course..

By lack of focus confirmation I meant it does not light up which of the selective 11 AF points it choses, whilst it does confirm in the viewfinder that it HAS focused there's no way of knowing where it's focused at.

By lack of focus confirmation I meant it does not light up which of the selective 11 AF points it choses, whilst it does confirm in the viewfinder that it HAS focused there's no way of knowing where it's focused at.

Oh! Duh, got it.. LoL I didn't know that's what you were talking about. I can see where that would be an issue, but it certainly wouldn't have kept me from buying the camera. I'm glad I purchased the unit because of the familiarity of the system since I've had the K110D for as long as I did..

Oh! Duh, got it.. LoL I didn't know that's what you were talking about. I can see where that would be an issue, but it certainly wouldn't have kept me from buying the camera. I'm glad I purchased the unit because of the familiarity of the system since I've had the K110D for as long as I did..

To each is own :) IT doesn't work for me, but it works for you which is fine! Congratz on your new come, as a requirement you're to post at least 5 pics monthly on the monthly photograph thread :p

Also on your photo it seems the shutter is open for too long like you said yourself, but it should meter and expose correctly in auto anyway, in that picture looks like either the flash is set incorrectly to fill with a too long shutter, try testing it out with just normal flash, not fill flash. Because:

1. If meter/exposure is correct and flash fires adequately, it should not've gone to ISO 1600, it did so, because it metered for the lack of light and adjusted the ISO to try and make up for the lack of light, so to begin with, you probably have your flash set wrong. PICNIC = Problem In Chair Not In Camera :p ?

2. Fill flash is usually used where you have a very bright background and want your subject to appear equally lit or at least not distracted from the main light source, which is not the case in the shot you posted. ( Obviously there are other cases in which you use fill flash, just pointing out whats wrong with the current one.)

To each is own :) IT doesn't work for me, but it works for you which is fine! Congratz on your new come, as a requirement you're to post at least 5 pics monthly on the monthly photograph thread :p

Also on your photo it seems the shutter is open for too long like you said yourself, but it should meter and expose correctly in auto anyway, in that picture looks like either the flash is set incorrectly to fill with a too long shutter, try testing it out with just normal flash, not fill flash. Because:

1. If meter/exposure is correct and flash fires adequately, it should not've gone to ISO 1600, it did so, because it metered for the lack of light and adjusted the ISO to try and make up for the lack of light, so to begin with, you probably have your flash set wrong. PICNIC = Problem In Chair Not In Camera :p ?

2. Fill flash is usually used where you have a very bright background and want your subject to appear equally lit or at least not distracted from the main light source, which is not the case in the shot you posted. ( Obviously there are other cases in which you use fill flash, just pointing out whats wrong with the current one.)

Ha!! With the flash.. I don't see a setting to change the 'type' of flash.. I guess I need to read the manual this time? I'm still playing around.. and I do have 30 days to make my decision to keep or change format's completely. I did play with a Nikon D3000 the other day and fell in love, but I'm a Pentax user at heart.. I guess I'll keep playing around..

Ha!! With the flash.. I don't see a setting to change the 'type' of flash.. I guess I need to read the manual this time? I'm still playing around.. and I do have 30 days to make my decision to keep or change format's completely. I did play with a Nikon D3000 the other day and fell in love, but I'm a Pentax user at heart.. I guess I'll keep playing around..

I guess so, time to RTFM :p You probably must've changed it without knowing, but anyway, enjoy your new camera :)

Looking at the metadata from you photo:

Camera: Pentax K-x

Exposure: 0.3

Aperture: f/3.5

Focal Length: 18 mm

ISO Speed: 250

Flash Mode: ? ?Off

I recommend turning on the flash or going for an ISO like ISO 800 which should let you get like 1.7 stops over the current shot which sould trun to something like 1/20 or 1/25 exposure time. The image might come out soft but would be usable. For photographing kids though, you might want a brighter lens (if you don't want to use flash).

Looking at the metadata from you photo:

Camera: Pentax K-x

Exposure: 0.3

Aperture: f/3.5

Focal Length: 18 mm

ISO Speed: 250

Flash Mode: ? ?Off

I recommend turning on the flash or going for an ISO like ISO 800 which should let you get like 1.7 stops over the current shot which sould trun to something like 1/20 or 1/25 exposure time. The image might come out soft but would be usable. For photographing kids though, you might want a brighter lens (if you don't want to use flash).

Hmmm why wouldn't I think of looking in the metadata, good call! :p

Getting better!! Wouldn't you know it? It has a "Kids" scene mode.. seems to do the trick!!

4354009596_ff05ac17f6_b.jpg

And yes.. she gave herself the haircut... lol!!

4354008766_8e497ae622_b.jpg