Is the Sony BDP-S360 a good, stable Blu-ray player?

Ok, took my Samsung BD-P1600 out of the closet and hooked it up just to test the "Ratatouille" disc. Yes, same pause when you switch the audio. So, it's not a player issue. It's just the BD telling the player to switch movie versions. That's all. Anyways, I'll probably sell this unit in a couple of weeks as I'm dying to get rid of it.

So anyway, it's safe to say the Sony BDP-S360 rocks.

Samsung BD-P1600 i have one hooked up to my 52 in samsung 610 series never had a problem with it. Maybe you just have a dud.

Connected via optical cables + hdmi.

I received the BDP-S360 for Christmas so I've had awhile to play with it and I've even updated the firmware. Sony has a service on their website that lets you fill out a form and they will send you a firmware disc in the mail for free. I would have had to lug both my tv and the player across the house in order to hook it up to the router and I didn't want to mess with burning the firmware myself because I heard that you could brick your player if you burned it incorrectly.

Anyway, I don't have a single complaint about it. The "slowness" really isn't enough to bother me and updating the firmware is very straight forward and easy. You just put the disc in and it does the rest and tells you thats its done..

DaDude, I think you made a good choice in the S360.. Whats kinda funny is I wish I had waited a little longer as the S370 is coming out and it has Wifi. I would of loved to have wifi in mine.

Samsung BD-P1600 i have one hooked up to my 52 in samsung 610 series never had a problem with it. Maybe you just have a dud.

Connected via optical cables + hdmi.

Upgrade to the latest firmware (2.05)...then watch Ratatouille, Up, and Angels & Demons and get back to me. If you still have no problem, then you have a special unit because everyone who has played these movies using those firmwares have had freezing problems.

I received the BDP-S360 for Christmas so I've had awhile to play with it and I've even updated the firmware. Sony has a service on their website that lets you fill out a form and they will send you a firmware disc in the mail for free. I would have had to lug both my tv and the player across the house in order to hook it up to the router and I didn't want to mess with burning the firmware myself because I heard that you could brick your player if you burned it incorrectly.

Anyway, I don't have a single complaint about it. The "slowness" really isn't enough to bother me and updating the firmware is very straight forward and easy. You just put the disc in and it does the rest and tells you thats its done..

DaDude, I think you made a good choice in the S360.. Whats kinda funny is I wish I had waited a little longer as the S370 is coming out and it has Wifi. I would of loved to have wifi in mine.

I upgraded via CD-R and no problems here. It's only 48 mb that you're burning. Just burn at a slow speed and verify the disc after and you should be fine.

I'm not into Wi-Fi or any of that BD-Live stuff, so I couldn't be more happier with the 360. Besides, the 370 will probably reset the price tag back to $200, which is more than I'm willing to spend for a BD player....especially since I don't care for BD-Live. Heck...I never even used the streaming feature on my Samsung player.

I can now officially say that the Sony BDP-S360 is, by far, a much better player than the Samsung BD-P1600. When I rented the ?Watchmen? Director?s Cut last fall, my Samsung was freaking out on the disc. In several parts of the movie (always on the same spot), the audio would drop out and come back on out of synch. This seems to only happen when you bitstream the core DTS via optical. And also, Maximum Movie Mode wasn?t working. The latter was fixed with a firmware upgrade, but of course, the new firmwares are causing problems for me. But the audio dropout issue has yet to be addressed by Samsung. The only way to work around the problem is to not bitstream the DTS audio. You have to set your player to ?re-encode? in order to eliminate the problem.

Anyway, I went to Best Buy yesterday morning and found ?Watchmen? on sale for $14.99. That deal was too good to pass up. So, I bought it and thought to myself?.let?s see if my new Sony can handle it. When I got home, I watched the entire 3 hour movie. It played perfectly on the Sony BDP-S360. It bitstreamed the core DTS audio to my receiver without any problems whatsoever. I then tested Maximum Movie Mode and it works too! From the way it looks, it will be a long time before I find a BD that this player can?t handle.

LOL! I hope Samsung learned a lesson from this. Their 2010 models should be coming out very soon and to be honest, I'd be afraid to even go near them! They'll have nice sleek designs, but will probably be full of quality control issues. That's all Samsung is about....cosmetics, not performance.

LOL! I hope Samsung learned a lesson from this. Their 2010 models should be coming out very soon and to be honest, I'd be afraid to even go near them! They'll have nice sleek designs, but will probably be full of quality control issues. That's all Samsung is about....cosmetics, not performance.

You keep branding Samsung as this terrible company. While I def agree the 1600 has had a ton of issues the rest of their products are almost top notch. Are you having issues with your Samsung LCD as well?

My Samsung LCD is fine. My CRT, on the other hand, was an issue and I had to dump it. The 1600 is also bad. 2 strikes and they’re out.

Yes, Samsung is pure garbage. Ok, they made some mistakes on the 1600. Then fix them with a firmware update! Not that hard. Other companies can do it.why not Samsung? Samsung has not been helpful to any of us 1600 owners and many people at the CNET forum can attest to that. Never again will I buy a Samsung. My next LCD purchase will be a Sony Bravia.

My friend also had issues with Samsung as well. He warned me about getting the Samsung 1600 before I even bought it mainly because he had a bunch of problems with Samsung products like their phones. But I didn't listen to him. Boy! Do I regret not listening to him!

My friend's Samsung phone....that's money down the drain. My old CRT....$250 down the drain. My 1600....$150 down the drain. Seriously, I can only cut Samsung so much slack!

• 1 month later...

I just told my girlfriend about this thread lol. I let her know she's right in saying no one ever listens to me.

Bangbang,

I know how it feels to have no one listen to you. I?ve been chatting with a few 1600 owners at AVSforum.com and people refuse to listen to me. I?ve owned the 1600 for about 8 months and played all different kinds of Blu-rays out there. So I can give good, honest advice regarding this machine. But people don?t listen to me. They buy it, play one or two discs and they call me crazy because those one or two movies played perfectly. Oh well. There?s only so much we can do.